Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 4937 times)

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
Collisions
« on: May 15, 2014, 11:52:30 PM »
Who here thinks the collisions should be made where both planes go down if rammed or accidentally hit by another?

I don't know if its because I am in Australia and ping affects the behaviour of collisions but its certainly is frustrating when time and again I am flying a big heavy plane, get hit by a light/weaker structured plane, i.e. A6m Zero and the zero flies away merrily while my 38 is ripped to pieces.

You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Collisions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 12:07:13 AM »
Do you feel your plane should randomly go down without you seeing it touch anything when you pass a few hundred feet from another aircraft?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 12:35:49 AM »
I've always been of the opinion that a collision should only be recorded when both FEs see it.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 12:43:10 AM »
I've always been of the opinion that a collision should only be recorded when both FEs see it.

So you will almost never die and people will just dive right into a buff formation without worry of hitting a Plane?

It will be super easy to kill a bomber, just wait until your 100 out and spray until your nose pops out the other side.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 12:53:24 AM »
No, that is to say that if they collide with you on your computer but not theirs than no. If it worked the way bullets do I thing the outrage would get outrageous.
Pies not kicks.

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 01:02:55 AM »
Do you feel your plane should randomly go down without you seeing it touch anything when you pass a few hundred feet from another aircraft?

Wiley.

That's not even remotely what he said.

I TOTALLY AGREE that if there is a COLLISION, despite of aircraft types, weights, speeds, or any other excuse that if two aircraft collide then those aircraft BOTH go down, dead, with NO KILL awarded...regardless of computer speed or internet connection.  You collide?  YOU LOSE.

Anything less rewards dweebery.  Dweebery is what is rewarded as the current "coading".

Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 01:07:53 AM »
That's not even remotely what he said.

That is EXACTLY what he said.

I'm amazed at how difficult this concept is to grasp for some people, even with Snails excellent gif.

Let me give you guys a hint.  If you're in a 1v1 fight, there aren't two planes involved, there are four.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 01:38:11 AM »
 :)

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 02:33:34 AM »
 You collide?  YOU LOSE.

And this is exactly how it works. You collide ("You have collided") = damage
You avoid collision (not the above message) = no damage

"XY has collided with you" just affects XY. You only get damaged by a collision if "You have collided".
With "both should go down no matter what", you will get exactly what Wiley said.

If you're in a 1v1 fight, there aren't two planes involved, there are four.

Unfortunately, many who are initially irritated by that concept don't spend a second to think about it, but just chose to ignore it. I guess it would make stompin' off feet so much more difficult ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:37:59 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 03:51:07 AM »
Allow me to rephrase (LOTS of this going around).

If there is a collision between two players BOTH players should go down.  No if's, no and's, no buts.  Collide should = DIE.  NO KILL AWARDED.

The current modeling rewards rammers who get a kill for ramming and fly away, or at least get  kill credit before they, themselves crash.

In a collision situation....NO KILL should be awarded.

Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 04:48:56 AM »
What is happening is that those with slower internet connections are being rewarded , because ,iirc, the first computer to report the collision is charged with it and records damage. It doesn't matter who is really responsible, just who reports it first. That rots, because there are those who do use it as a tool. Something needs to be done, and unfortunately the only way is for both planes to go down, whether or not "you see the collision".
It's the fairest way to go about it, IMHO.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 04:55:49 AM »
What is happening is that those with slower internet connections are being rewarded , because ,iirc, the first computer to report the collision is charged with it and records damage. It doesn't matter who is really responsible, just who reports it first. That rots, because there are those who do use it as a tool. Something needs to be done, and unfortunately the only way is for both planes to go down, whether or not "you see the collision".
It's the fairest way to go about it, IMHO.

That is not correct. Your connection is not a factor. You either collide with the other guy on your PC or you don't. The other guy either collides with you on his PC or he doesn't. It doesn't matter who hit who, it only matters if the collision was on your PC, the other PC, or both.

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 05:14:08 AM »
I do not want to explode while holding a safe distance to an enemy plane, and I want to explode when my plane collides with an enemy plane. Luckily, that is how AH works for me.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 05:42:11 AM »
I do not want to explode while holding a safe distance to an enemy plane, and I want to explode when my plane collides with an enemy plane. Luckily, that is how AH works for me.

Yep, me too :old:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright