Author Topic: Ummm, is the possible?  (Read 4136 times)

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
Re: Ummm, is the possible?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 10:59:06 AM »
Being able to do that maneuver in a hog at about 50ft and maintain control just doesn't pass the smell test to me.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »
Being able to do that maneuver in a hog at about 50ft and maintain control just doesn't pass the smell test to me.

The scent of physics. Post your film. I'd like to see you do it on purpose. While you're at it maybe you could hover a bit too. Use smoke, it makes the hovering obvious.

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 11:48:01 AM »
The scent of physics. Post your film. I'd like to see you do it on purpose. While you're at it maybe you could hover a bit too. Use smoke, it makes the hovering obvious.

Here you go. I even landed it backwards using this maneuver. I just hope the French judges don't take off for the busted wing.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 12:30:03 PM »
That's how I always land my F4U's lol.

There are pilot accounts saying the F4U had a bad sink rate with landing flaps fully extended, This caused over shoots on carrier decks. Now when the British got their hands on the -1 they clipped the wings so the planes could be stored easier on their small carriers. This had improved the sink rate as well.

I'm not saying the F4U is spot on in the modeling of its flaps, but what plane in this game is modeled 100% correctly? I believe the F4U is modeled more accurately In this game than games like  Il2/War thunder or War Birds.
See Rule #4

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 02:44:28 PM »
Here you go. I even landed it backwards using this maneuver. I just hope the French judges don't take off for the busted wing.

Nice flying.   :D  No hovering though. You stalled, slid sideways and recovered the first time when you used WEP to increase the torque that you used to rotate.

If torque wasn't modeled correctly don't you think you'd notice it in the required roll trim?

When you yaw right with a clockwise prop gyroscopic progression pitches the nose down, is that a factor here?

I don't know that Hitech has fully modeled flying sideways but you do see similar flying in airshows.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 02:52:18 PM »
In the OP's film the sloped terrain contributes to it looking odd, if it were performed the same over level terrain it would make a bit more sense.

was nice control
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 03:33:36 PM »
...  No hovering though.....

100% agree

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 04:03:40 PM »
I don't think that the hover flap moniker is to be taken literally (even though I did joke about that in my first post.) I didn't claim that I hovered, simply that I could do that maneuver in a controlled fashion, or "on purpose." Also notice in my film at the beginning, shortly after takeoff. I'm going under 100 mph and pull throttle back to idle. I then go full throttle to feel the full effect of that huge prop's torque. I don't think I would have spilled my coffee...

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »
What do you think should have happened? Besides spilling your coffee?  :)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 04:10:58 PM »
68 mph and look at your path of travel as compared to the angle the airplane is actually pointed at. You are right to call shenanigans on this Gizz.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 01:56:23 PM »
What shenanigans do you have in mind? Why do you think 68 mph is a problem?

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 02:25:01 PM »

Hmmmm hmmm hmmmm. Just quivering with anticipation aren't you. Oh yeah, this is really a serious question and not a screaming rule number 4 violation  :rolleyes:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 03:12:01 PM »

Let me see...it's literally flying sideways, nose pitched way up, right around stalling speed for a Corsair, with the throttle wide open presumably...Look man, I love this game, and 99% of the time realistic tactics work realistically. It's a bit silly to try and justify the odd time when the FM veers into UFOlogy though. Post-stall behavior is the most difficult aspect to model correctly in a flight sim, IIRC.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 03:15:53 PM »
Let me see...it's literally flying sideways, nose pitched way up, right around stalling speed for a Corsair, with the throttle wide open presumably...Look man, I love this game, and 99% of the time realistic tactics work realistically. It's a bit silly to try and justify the odd time when the FM veers into UFOlogy though. Post-stall behavior is the most difficult aspect to model correctly in a flight sim, IIRC.

It ain't the flight model, I'm just that good of a pilot.  :cool:

Ill be running Corsair VTOL clinics Mondays and Fridays in the Training arena.

On a serious note, I haven't been able to duplicate this incident, each time ends with me eating the dirt butt first.
See Rule #4

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 05:36:29 PM »

He's not flying sideways. He flick stalled it, slid sideways, recovered the stall and flew off. He was flaps out at less than 1g. What do you think his stall speed was?