Author Topic: Ummm, is the possible?  (Read 4154 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Ummm, is the possible?
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2014, 06:15:52 PM »
You're correct when you say it wasn't flying sideways. It resumed flying when the nose returned forward.

Right. But for an interval before that happened it was traveling perpendicular to the direction it's control surfaces are supposed to operate at, with a rather high torque engine at high power settings without losing control...

BTW FLS, for me there is nothing personal in this discussion.  :salute I just think the behavior on this film warrants a closer look. If you could post some proofs that nail down a Corsair doing what is shown here as plausible, then that would be the best possible outcome as far as I'm concerned.

P.S. Would ya mind going on the thread labeled "Mustang" in the Help&Training section and explaining to yet another AH player that any two airplanes turn the same @ the same speed and G-load? They seem to believe YOU when you say that.  :devil
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2014, 06:47:36 PM »
The sideways ballistic flight is not really under control, it's just nudging the result of the forces generated by the flick stall. The recovery was at minimum flight speed.

I'm not getting involved in your quibbles about undefined terms like high speed turn performance.  :lol
It might be better to explore the opposing point of view instead of assuming it's just turn rate and radius at fixed speeds.

Btw re: personal, everybody's first post here was about the video, that being the topic of interest, except the one post that was about something else entirely. That being the apparent topic of interest.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:50:48 PM by FLS »

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2014, 06:55:35 PM »
and now for something from left field...Doesn't the F4U G-Meter only read force along the Z-Axis?
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
I think what myself and the rest of the aerodynamics amateurs are wondering is how an airplane known for dropping a wing and/or spinning with a combination of flaps, low speed and high power pulled this maneuver without ending up in the tree tops. Some ball-park demonstration of the physics involved, such as the one you did for a Brew briefly flying knife-edge, would suffice.

I'm not getting involved in your quibbles about undefined terms like high speed turn performance.  :lol
It might be better to explore the opposing point of view instead of assuming it's just turn rate and radius at fixed speeds.

Nah, I'm half convinced that 50% of the player base really does think that a P-51D pulling 5.5Gs@350mph really does turn tighter or faster than something else pulling 5.5Gs@350mph. You should make a "basic aerodynamics as applied to dogfighting" sticky.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2014, 07:18:15 PM »
and now for something from left field...Doesn't the F4U G-Meter only read force along the Z-Axis?

AFAIK that's correct, it measures acceleration on the Z axis.

BnZs the spectacular results possible with the snap roll or flick stall are generally well illustrated in airshows.  High performance aerobatic aircraft can do more extreme maneuvers and can do them more safely but it's the same physics.

Btw did you know the 3 point attitude of the F4U was the level flight stall AOA?  Think that caused any problems?  :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:30:42 PM by FLS »

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2014, 09:20:06 PM »
BnZs the spectacular results possible with the snap roll or flick stall are generally well illustrated in airshows.  High performance aerobatic aircraft can do more extreme maneuvers and can do them more safely but it's the same physics.

"Flick stall"? lol.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 27-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2014, 09:29:15 PM »
Can't we all just agree that I'm literally the most incredible Corsair pilot (HogsMen) to grace the digital skies :x
See Rule #4

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2014, 09:48:28 PM »
"Flick stall"? lol.

You don't get out much do you.   :lol

Can't we all just agree that I'm literally the most incredible Corsair pilot (HogsMen) to grace the digital skies :x

Would you settle for lucky?   :D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:55:07 PM by FLS »

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2014, 10:53:10 PM »
I actually do get out to the airshows, and I've seen an airplane specifically designed for aerobatic maneuvers drifting  somewhat sideways, really tail sliding more than anything else, while nose up.

This is an F4U Corsair doing a maneuver that is different in key details from that, such as the fact that it's path of travel is almost directly sideways and not pointed straight up.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2014, 11:56:47 PM »

Would you settle for lucky?   :D

Fredo, you broke my Heart.
See Rule #4

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2014, 12:04:59 AM »
I actually do get out to the airshows, and I've seen an airplane specifically designed for aerobatic maneuvers drifting  somewhat sideways, really tail sliding more than anything else, while nose up.

This is an F4U Corsair doing a maneuver that is different in key details from that, such as the fact that it's path of travel is almost directly sideways and not pointed straight up.

Which way was the plane flying sideways?  Which way is the prop turning and what direction is the torque?

These and more questions can be answered,same bat channel same bat time!

:salute

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2014, 12:16:25 AM »
I've seen sideways and climbing backwards, same as my videos, but I don't have a link. Of course they don't do that in vintage warbirds. I expect high performance aerobatic aircraft are less stable and more work to fly than Corsairs but they are all single prop high torque aircraft and the physics of flight are the same.  

I'm not sure you could go backwards at 100 mph in a Bf109 with split flaps open but that's the damage model not the flight model.  :D

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2014, 01:38:06 AM »
Btw re: personal, everybody's first post here was about the video, that being the topic of interest, except the one post that was about something else entirely. That being the apparent topic of interest.

No you're not that interesting. To be fair my points did keep open the discussion when you tried to close it implying the stall speed was the only relevant issue.

There are now several topics being discussed, all but one relevant. I don't think we should get too sidetracked about 'flying' sideways. Many AH planes will float sideways for a short while if you present the wing to the airflow correctly it should generate lift. I took the topic 'Ummm, is this possible' to include a discussion of control at the departure. This aircraft as modeled hardly matches its historical description or the modifications done to it.  If Widewing's quote from a person who has flown the real Corsair isn't enough to cast some doubt on the fidelity of the flight model then something seriously stinks on this forum and it is relevant to discuss the personal motivation in that case.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2014, 01:45:44 PM »
The incredible Rob Holland.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRz6JpPrESE

Making the improbable look normal.

Offline TonyJoey