Author Topic: Mustang  (Read 5756 times)

Offline WW1965

• Zinc Member
Re: Mustang
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2014, 11:48:38 AM »
so I'd like to ask the pony officianados this question: can you dogfight in the Pony, or at the very least, can you employ some form of tactics that don't involve running like a stuck pig all the time?

I'm no 51D fiend any means.. I consider myself a Jug Driver .. but reading your OP, it reminded me of my early trials with the Jug & the level of frustration I felt just trying to figure out "how to not only survive, but fight in the damned thang".. I learned quickly to keep it fast & get alt, then use angles to shoot & avoid the shot, & then keep it fast using angles.. & when all else fails.. get faster..

I Honestly feel that flyin the Jug has helped me with flyin the other planes..

Just this mornin on a whim, I took up a Pony-D, lots of fuel, & just went out & farted around.. I was at 12k & wound up against a Ki84 bout 3k higher..

to make a long story short.. he kept climbing, & I wouldn't go up with him.. I'd just stay fast & extend away & climb when it was safe.. & watch for him to come to me.. when I had time, I was passive & would let him do what ever.. but I stayed fast (250+) & I only got aggressive when he got near me.. he'd climb up everytime, & that let me get some distance.. but I'd never commit to 'his fight'.. after 10mins or so he went boom..

I paid close attention to my speed & did my best to stay above 250.. when I got 'slow', if possible, I'd dive & extend away, & if not I'd turn to him & make him overshoot..
well, he got furstrated/greedy/bored/whatever..& really tried for a one pass kill.. he didn't make it..

Stick with the Pony-D.. but realize what it can do & can't do.. fly it accordingly, no matter what you're up against..& remember, it's gonna take time & many many fights..

<S>

Wrngway

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2014, 05:47:37 PM »
Don't waste your time, definitely not worth the loss in killing power vs. any miniscule gain in performance. Just take the Bravo if you want 4 guns, it is a great plane in and of itself and trades a bit of speed for some improved maneuverability.

BnZ, you seem to too easily discount the E-advantage that a Pony will start with at the beginning of most fights. In skilled hands that means almost certain death for the other plane as you should never give them a chance to equalize energy states.  

Thanks, TJ.

Now to learn how to do what you state in your last sentence.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Chief

• Zinc Member
      • 332nd Fighter Group
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »
The MA is not a 1v1 vacuum. There are numerous factors which make the 51 more appealing in the MA. For one, visibility is second to none, with little restricting your view and increasing SA, which is a major factor of MA flying. Secondly, the 6 50's have exceptional ballistics and thus are easy to aim, which makes converting a kill, even very high deflection shots...

Is it one of the best choices for an MA environment? Absolutely.

I agree.
Squad: TAs AeroFighters Inc. (active) | 332nd Fighter Group (2014/2015)
Pilot: Greaser

The Battle Over The Winter Line

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 10:44:44 PM »
And here you point out exactly what Im saying. IN THE GAME, not as duels or in any books,
Dueling is part of the game, last time I checked. Anyway, if you want to assert that the Pony is at least as good as most other late war planes at dogfighting, then you need to demonstrate that it can win dogfights with them with equal pilots at the controls, starting from a neutral merge. Such duels would remove the variables of pilot skill and situational advantage, and leave it purely to the attributes of the plane to give victory or defeat.

It is not logical to say "The Pony is a great dogfighter because I saw a great pilot defeat an inferior pilot who made multiple mistakes in his own ride."  

With a good player at the controls the pony it is a great plane.
Again this is illogical. A mediocre plane with a good player behind the stick remains a mediocre plane. They cannot alter the plane's physical attributes as modeled by HTC. They can use what they have better than an unskilled player can. If the other player makes gross enough mistakes, the more skilled player can take advantage of them to win even in greatly inferior rides. This does not change the relative quality of the planes. Moreover, it logically follows that however lethal a very skilled player may be in a mediocre ride, they'd be even more lethal in something else that is superior. That is certainly the case with the Pony. Hand BigR a P-47M, a better-turning, faster-rolling, better-accelerating aircraft with heavier firepower, and the opposition would be deader even quicker
YES I can out turn NIKS,
The N1K has a smaller turn radius and a better rate of turn than the P-51D, both instantaneous and sustained. You absolutely cannot out-turn a N1K in a P-51D unless 1. You have altered the game to make your P-51D turn better than the physics HTC models allow for (which I don't believe is the case) or 2. The N1K pilot makes a mistake, the most common of which is excess speed while trying to turn due to poor throttle control. Have you ever heard of something called corner velocity? If the N1K pilot is in excess of both his own and the P-51D's corner velocity while the Pony is nearer its own, the P-51D may indeed (briefly, until speeds bleeds off for both planes in the fight) have a tighter turn radius and a better rate. But this does NOT mean you defied physics and somehow made a P-51D turn tighter than a N1K can, it means the opponent screwed up badly and made his N1K turn worse than its potential! The necessary corollary to this is that a N1K pilot who gets out-turned by an opponent in a P-51D will lose even more quickly and certainly if they switch planes and go at it, because the P-51 is decidedly inferior to the N1K in turn performance.

YES I can turn faster at speed than MOST 190s
Define "at speed". A Pony and a 190 over about 300mph IAS are both above their corner velocities. This means they can pull to the 6G AH blackout limit without trouble. The laws of physics state that two airplanes pulling the same Gs while going the same speed will have the same rate and radius of turn, no matter what kind of airplanes they are. If this were not how it works in AH, then Hitech would be modeling the laws of physics incorrectly.

But he does model them correctly. Thus the only way you can literally "out-turn" a 190 while both of you are going 350mph is if you have altered the game (which I do not believe is the case) to make your cartoon pilot withstand more Gs. However, it is far more likely that the 190 gets out-turned because (once again) it is way over it's corner speed while the P-51D pilot manages his speed better and is thus closer to corner.

It should also be pointed out that the 190 series airplanes are practically the only single-engine fighters worse in most parameters of turn performance than the P-51D. Thus if both are you are managing your planes equally well, you SHOULD win a turning fight with a 190, due once again to the laws of physics. Thus your example doesn't argue whatever point you're trying to make (It's difficult to tell, you define things so vaguely), but said example is another good example how the physical attributes of an aircraft define its performance.

That said, the 190D9 is superior to the P-51D in every parameter EXCEPT turn performance at typical MA alts, almost all other late-war fighters in the game are superior to the P-51D in turn performance, and most of them are equal or superior in power/weight at typical MA alts as well. Therefore, logically speaking the P-51D is mediocre as a Late War dogfighter

BigR got all those skills using a "mediocre" plane because he KNOWS his pony and the other players proved they didn't know theres as well.
I watched the film. Again, *most* of what it demonstrates is that superior gunnery can often render the attributes of the plane moot. And the rest of what it demonstrates is that superior skills can make up for inferior plane performance. Relative pilot skill level and relative aircraft performance are two separate issues which you insist on conflating.

Your argument is essentially "A very superior pilot in a P-51 can kill an inferior pilot in X aircraft. Therefore the P-51D is as good an aircraft as X aircraft." And THAT is what we call a non sequitur.

An equivalently fallacious example would be an expert marksman saying "I can shoot a handgun as accurately as most people can shoot a rifle. Therefore handguns are as inherently accurate as rifles."

You either don't understand what I'm saying or refuse to accept what Im saying. Again I should know better than to try and have a conversation with someone who is obviously NEVER wrong and can't possibly see anyone else point of view. Thanks for playing.
I don't know if anyone can understand what you are saying, since you are vague at best and often conflate two entirely separate issues, such as mixing up relative aircraft performance with relative aircraft performance. You attempted to argue with some factual information I have written via generalities, confused fuzzy logic, and at least one fallacy that demonstrates you don't understand the basic laws of physics as applied to fighter performance (The "P-51 turns better at high speed!" thing). Then when everything you have to say is refuted by logic, you take your toys and go home, or do the "chess playing pigeon" thing. I have observed that this is generally your MO in any discussion.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fc35goo75nlfmu4/P51DvYak3.ahf
This fight is a good example of the mediocrity of the P-51D. I don't know if a single other LW fighter would have had trouble with the Yak3 going vertical like that from a roughly co-speed state, as the P-51 did here. Certainly not the SpitXVI or La7, despite the fact that the P-51 bizarrely also shares their ENY of 5. Nor a 109K or a P-38 for that matter, for all their higher ENY numbers. All would almost certainly have been able to match zoom performances with the Yak long enough to kill.

After the Yak successfully ropes the P-51 and puts it in a very bad spot, only mistakes in speed management on the Yak pilot's part make it squirt out in front of the P-51 and allow for the P-51 to have any firing opportunities at all. These are opportunities that a more heavily armed, faster rolling P-47M could have taken far better advantage of. Really any of the Late War planes named thus to far would have been more advantageous in this fight than the P-51D, with the *possible* exception of the 190D9. The whole fight was basically a serious of mistakes by BOTH pilots, with a lot of missed shots on both sides being the most important factor in why this thing lasted as long as it did.

In fact, this engagement is another demonstration of how gunnery is the most important skill of air combat. Either pilot could have easily ended the fight with the shots they missed.

I believe the Yak3 pilot had to basically be having an off day to lose this one to a P-51, although I will say the Yak probably would have gotten shot down at 00:35 or so if it had tried going vertical like that against any plane less mediocre than the Mustang, which is to say virtually Late War plane. Then again, the pilot probably wouldn't have tried that move against any Late War fighter except the Mustang.

If I was a particularly fuzzy thinker, I might say something like "Look, I made my P-51 out-turn a Yak-3", and crow about da mad skillz, or insist that the P-51D is as good at dogfighting as a Yak-3, or some other horsepuckey. But of course that is absolutely NOT the case, relative turn performance did not define the geometry of this fight at all, and the only reason the Yak-3 didn't win rather easily is almost certainly because the pilot was having a "bad hair day" as it were.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:54:30 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2014, 11:13:04 PM »
BnZ, you seem to too easily discount the E-advantage that a Pony will start with at the beginning of most fights.

I accept the likely possibility that something will start higher than my P-51 (because I don't always climb to 25K like some Pony pilots. Not talking about you man, you know the sort I'm talking about) and I accept the possibility that I can be jumped during/immediately after a fight, both things rendering any E advantage the Pony's top speed may give in a co-alt merged a very unreliable factor indeed.

Then there is the fact that so many darn things are about as fast or even faster than the Mustang, many if not most of them also building energy through acceleration faster.

In skilled hands that means almost certain death for the other plane as you should never give them a chance to equalize energy states.
TJ, through pilot skill you can kill the crap out of things in the Mustang in the MA. I submit that you would kill the crap out of things even better in the MA with equal amounts of practice in the D9, F4U-1A, P-47M, 109K4, etc.

Energy fighting is hard, and relies on skills in gunnery being above average. The "certain death" thing just because you have an E advantage is ONLY true if one is a GREAT gunner. Most are not as good as you at gunnery. I am not as good as you at gunnery, after close to a decade of *trying* to be, ya know? Watch my film where I'm fighting the Yak if you don't believe me on that one  ;)

This is why you all the time hear "I reversed that Pony's E advantage and he ran away!" instead of "That Pony came in with an E advantage and shot me down!"

Yes if Bruv119, as an example, is above one in a P-51, it is very likely that one is going to get shot down, really no matter what one is flying. Man is an aimbot. However, if he is in a high SpitVIII, the situation is far, far worse for anyone below him than it is when he is in a Pony.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2014, 11:20:09 PM »
Arena impact is why the P-51D has an ENY of 5 and the Mosquito VI has an ENY of 30 despite actually being fairly comparable in performance down low where most action in AH takes place.
And this is a hugely illogical aspect of the game. If the P-51D and Mosquito amount to the same performance in different shapes, then there is no practical, logical reason for them to have different ENY numbers.

I wish there was a way for fighters flown without ords to fall under a different ENY number than when they are flown with ordnance. If bomb load is indeed the only logical reason we are left with for the P-51s ENY being 5, as seems to be the case.

It is absolutely absurd that defeating a 109K4 with a P-51D will earn more perk points than defeating a P-51D with a 109K4, and absolutely absurd that the ENY system designed to help out the low numbers team will take away P-51s from the high numbers side long before it takes away P-47Ms.

I can remember when the P-51s ENY was 8, and that was closer to being right.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:23:12 PM by BnZs »

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2014, 11:35:59 PM »
This reminds me of the F4F vs A6M thread in this forum not so long ago.

The stats guys decided the F4F had no chance against the A6M.  I tried to argue that the F4F stood a good chance as long as the pilot knew what he was doing and exploited "all" his advantages, not just those the plane match-up provided.
I've ended up doing Fm2 against A6M5 1v1 a lot, and the Fm2 stands no chance *unless* the Zeeker makes mistakes. And sometimes they can still make some mistakes and win. Why this continual urge to conflate pilot superiority/inferiority with plane superiority/inferiority?

Likewise I've flown to victory on several occasions against "double superior" fighters in the 190A-8.
Everyone posted on this thread has done that. That is in the nature of being a veteran. I seem to be the only vet who realizes that exploiting the mistakes of a pilot in a superior fighter does not somehow make the planes themselves equal.

Also you, me, and everyone else posting on this thread has run into an equally skilled pilot while flying double-inferior and had our tulips handed to us without too much trouble, due to superior performance. Or even run into someone one could normally beat in a "duel" but had our tulips handed to us by superior plane performance.

Learn to fight and it won't matter what you're in.
Really, it won't matter at all? So you are saying that you could beat a clone of yourself in a SpitXVI while you fly a 190A8 at least 50% of the time, in fair fights?

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2014, 11:53:51 PM »
Against what you say the P47 will NOT out turn it in a sustain turn - the 47 can cut a corner better at high speeds because it dumps energy even faster than the 51, and the 47 rolls better so it initiates turns quicker.

Really? Have you tested this in a careful, controlled manner? Mosq has.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=4F7912F19B484B3B&resid=4F7912F19B484B3B!761&app=WordPdf&authkey=!AH41epN2ncdKKcg

According to him, the P-47D-11 will turn a smaller radius both clean, with one notch, and with full flaps, although it's sustained *rate* will be slightly less. One wonders what testing the P-47D-11 with two notches of flaps, which I believe is the sweet spot for sustained turn rate, would show relative to the Pony's one notch, which is the best setting for sustained turn rate in the Mustang.

But the P-51D's relevant late war competition is the P-47M after all, and that thing just crushes the Pony sustained rate and radius as the flaps come out in the fight. While simultaneously rolling faster, being more heavily armed, tougher, and about equal in flat-out speed.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2014, 12:24:37 AM »
I've ended up doing Fm2 against A6M5 1v1 a lot, and the Fm2 stands no chance *unless* the Zeeker makes mistakes. And sometimes they can still make some mistakes and win. Why this continual urge to conflate pilot superiority/inferiority with plane superiority/inferiority?
Everyone posted on this thread has done that. That is in the nature of being a veteran. I seem to be the only vet who realizes that exploiting the mistakes of a pilot in a superior fighter does not somehow make the planes themselves equal.

Also you, me, and everyone else posting on this thread has run into an equally skilled pilot while flying double-inferior and had our tulips handed to us without too much trouble, due to superior performance. Or even run into someone one could normally beat in a "duel" but had our tulips handed to us by superior plane performance.
Really, it won't matter at all? So you are saying that you could beat a clone of yourself in a SpitXVI while you fly a 190A8 at least 50% of the time, in fair fights?

You miss the point of my post.

This is the help and training forum.  To make pure statistical plane comparisons "proving" that one plane is superior to another relegates one new to the genre to seek out the "best" of the late war fighters, even if that airframe may not best suit their flying style.

There's more to this than strict aircraft performance and those that would believe that wing loading, excess power etc. are going to make them rise to the top of the fighter ace list will be severely disappointed while those who learn the nuances of BFM, ACM and gunnery will rise regardless of their ride.

Over the years the "equal pilots" scenario has been raised on many occasions.  So has the "first to make a mistake" scenario.  Even against an equal pilot you can win without that pilot making a mistake.  If he's reacting to you you have the initiative as it takes time for him to react and if on each reaction you gain a little the situation can be turned to your advantage.

Could I beat myself in a Spit XVI with an A-8?  Possibly.  The A-8 holds advantages in dive speed, zoom climb, durability, firepower (with the big gun package) and roll rate.  That's a lot to bring to the table to exploit but if you don't know how to use it none of it makes a difference.

IMHO picking a plane you like that suits your flying style then learning to fight in it will provide a far richer game experience than beating yourself up trying to pick the best airframe.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2014, 12:31:29 AM »

I submit that you would kill the crap out of things even better in the MA with equal amounts of practice in the D9, F4U-1A, P-47M, 109K4, etc.

I would have to disagree strongly with this statement. The armament configurations greatly limit the effectiveness of the D9 and K4 (atleast in my hands) and the F4U lacks the top speed of a more  "pure" BnZer or energy fighter. In other words, the 51 possesses a large bag of positive characteristics that aren't merely limited to T/W or wing loading that make it a more favorable choice in the MA environment. The 47M is extremely similar to the 51, to the point that it really would make no difference, but the 51 has got so much more history (than the M model that is) so it's a pretty easy choice for me.  
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:33:35 AM by TonyJoey »

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2014, 01:06:32 AM »
Ah TJ, I suggest you examine the D9's gun package more closely. The guns are slightly inferior ballistically than .50s, but they hit harder, have a big ammo load, and critically both cannons and mg are mounted close to centerline. All things considered the package is superior to 6x50s for a bnz aircraft. Also suggest you look at speedcharts for the  f4u1a. It is faster than the 1d or chog, nearly as fast as the Mustang, while simultaneously turning better, rolling better, and carrying a longer clip. And it operates off carriers to boot!

Offline WW1965

• Zinc Member
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2014, 02:14:58 AM »
But the P-51D's relevant late war competition is the P-47M after all, and that thing just crushes the Pony sustained rate and radius as the flaps come out in the fight. While simultaneously rolling faster, being more heavily armed, tougher, and about equal in flat-out speed.

BnZ,

Just out of curiousity, how do ya rate the P47N compared to the P47M, Pony as well as the 190D ??

Wrngway

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2014, 05:05:56 AM »
Really? Have you tested this in a careful, controlled manner? Mosq has.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=4F7912F19B484B3B&resid=4F7912F19B484B3B!761&app=WordPdf&authkey=!AH41epN2ncdKKcg

According to him, the P-47D-11 will turn a smaller radius both clean, with one notch, and with full flaps, although it's sustained *rate* will be slightly less. One wonders what testing the P-47D-11 with two notches of flaps, which I believe is the sweet spot for sustained turn rate, would show relative to the Pony's one notch, which is the best setting for sustained turn rate in the Mustang.
I stated this many times before - while I appreciate MOSQ's efforts, that list bears next to no practical value to MA dogfights. The planes are tested in irrelevant conditions that are very rarely met. You should see my collection of raging PMs about how it is impossible for a mosquito/P47 to hang with a Spit/KI84/Yak3/etc. during several flat turns and in many cases even gaining angles. The reality is that planes almost never fly around the same circle, and almost never at the same speed, and almost never in sustained turns. Unless the disparity in turn rate/radius is absolutely huge, the pilot that understands the geometry and the interplay between turn radius and turn rate will win. This is why late war planes go for speed and visibility (SA) and tend to neglect classic turning ability.

The P47M is generally a superior fighter to the P51D, and so it was in real life. As I said above in the thread, the P51D was not the best fighter in the US arsenal. What it had that made it so successful is a combination of qualities, not all of which help in winning a duel. This is similar to the F6F that was a much more significant WWII fighter than the F4U, due to qualities that had nothing to do with pure performance - the F4U was clearly a superior performer. It is all about the total package.

As for the P47M and P51D comparison, the 56th FG had P47Ds that were boosted to the same level as the P47M already in early 1944. This is one reason they were so convinced that their P47s were the superior fighters and they requested to keep them. The P47 range was still limiting though, but one FG out of the 8th AF was acceptable. The P47Ms when arrived were not a big upgrade for them.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2014, 09:33:50 AM »
I stated this many times before - while I appreciate MOSQ's efforts, that list bears next to no practical value to MA dogfights.
I find that sustained turn rate comes up fairly often in the MA. And the minimum sustained turn radius gives at least some indication of how tight the planes can turn at corner, how well they can slow-fly in the scissors, etc.

The planes are tested in irrelevant conditions that are very rarely met. You should see my collection of raging PMs about how it is impossible for a mosquito/P47 to hang with a Spit/KI84/Yak3/etc. during several flat turns and in many cases even gaining angles.
Why must we insist on conflating pilot error with plane performance, again and again?
Honestly I have found Mosquitos, to not be terribly difficult to dogfight or sometimes even reverse from disadvantage when flying something like a 109K or an La. And those two aren't anywhere near the most maneuverable planes, I'm sure in a SpitXVI the fight would be easier. But in a P-51D against an equal pilot in the Mossi, I tend to lose that fight over the long run. I've got to call a fighter which loses dogfights to a twin-engine fast bomber with equal pilots fairly mediocre.

As for the P47M and P51D comparison, the 56th FG had P47Ds that were boosted to the same level as the P47M already in early 1944. This is one reason they were so convinced that their P47s were the superior fighters and they requested to keep them. The P47 range was still limiting though, but one FG out of the 8th AF was acceptable. The P47Ms when arrived were not a big upgrade for them.
Yes, I would *love* to have a razor-back Jug with a paddle bladed prop and "hot-rodded" as they were...probably not going to happen though.

The P-47 has superior firepower, and critically, its ruggedness tended to bring pilots home. This is a very, very rational reason for a real combat pilot to prefer the P-47 over the more fragile Mustang, but it has nothing to do with dogfighting ability.

OTOH, many of the pilots who switched from 47s to 51s liked the change because the Mustang's performance and maneuverability allowed them to fight the 190s and 109s on a more equal footing than had been the case with the P-47. This maneuverability advantage does not exist in the P-51 as modeled in AH, this being the only WWII flight sim I've ever played with wherein the Jugs can out-turn the Mustangs. "The P-47 wasn't so bad because we could out turn and outclimb it, initially. [...] The P-51 was something else."-Walter Wulfrum, Luftwaffe ace with 137 victories.

But in the game, it is what it is. The P-51 is mediocre in the LWMA. Those are the simple facts of the case. But if you think it is pretty or love the history of of it etc, fly it anyway. With a bit of skill and luck you'll be able to get many victories despite the planes inferior qualities.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2014, 09:43:39 AM »
BnZ,

Just out of curiousity, how do ya rate the P47N compared to the P47M, Pony as well as the 190D ??

Wrngway

The P47N carries a lot more fuel than other Jugs, and often gets tested that way, so the N comes out looking worse compared to the M than it really is in climb rate. They have the same engine power after all, the N has more fuel tankage and a larger wing, and retains hardpoints on the wings. So at equal fuel states the N is slightly heavier and draggier than the M, but not as much as it can look like on the climb performance chart. The N will also roll faster at high speed than other jugs, because of the squared off wing tips.