Author Topic: Oculus Rift Dk2  (Read 7134 times)

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
Re: Oculus Rift Dk2
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2014, 11:11:49 AM »
Haven't decided yet. If you have interest send me a pm and I will let you know. Haven't been able to find out date or specs on new Nvidia yet, just rumors.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2014, 06:03:55 PM »
Good news.

Opentrack has been updated to support DK2, I have tested it with AH and it supports full 6DoF head tracking.

VorpX appears to work with AH now.

final update.... WOW.

:D

notes: had to manually changed to video settings file to 1920x1080 res, force fov in video settings to 120.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:29:13 PM by Vulcan »

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »
Great news. Will get opentrack and try it tomorrow.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2014, 10:25:26 PM »
I'm still very skeptical about OR. I think people will tire quickly of wearing a pvs5 for any length of time. I suspect it will be like the cougar hotas situation, the best $400 joystick that nobody uses anymore.

It should make for some interesting nerd rage on channel 200 though. As the angry dweeb knocks his beer over on his keyboard while reaching to call someone names on chan 200.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2014, 12:21:22 AM »
I'm still very skeptical about OR. I think people will tire quickly of wearing a pvs5 for any length of time. I suspect it will be like the cougar hotas situation, the best $400 joystick that nobody uses anymore.

It should make for some interesting nerd rage on channel 200 though. As the angry dweeb knocks his beer over on his keyboard while reaching to call someone names on chan 200.

I'm very skeptical about skeptics. Usually they are never speaking from experience. Remember floob this will be the 4th VR headset I have used with AH.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2014, 02:39:44 AM »
Well hopefully this one will be your last. Well see in four years who gets to necrobump this thread with an "I told ya so".  :)
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2014, 02:58:15 AM »
Well hopefully this one will be your last. Well see in four years who gets to necrobump this thread with an "I told ya so".  :)

Why would you hope that? OR is not even full hd, there's still much room for improvement. And the ultimate VR will tap directly in your brain.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2014, 05:12:21 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:39:14 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2014, 07:27:05 AM »
Vulcan

I went to look at opentrack and will try later today but will I need the filter mentioned in the wiki? I assume there is a DK2 profile in the download or did you do one yourself?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2014, 07:33:33 AM »
Vulcan

I went to look at opentrack and will try later today but will I need the filter mentioned in the wiki? I assume there is a DK2 profile in the download or did you do one yourself?

didn't use a filter, made my own profile.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2014, 07:48:20 AM »
Wow a personal attack for stating my opinion on a piece of computer hardware. If that's not nerd rage I don't know what is.

Vulcan I vaguely remember your goggles thread.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2014, 09:14:09 AM »
Every major game studio is working with Occulus for future gaming programs.  Go read a little bit Floob, better yet, watch Carmack's youtube video (you know, the guy who wrote Doom, all of the Quake titles, and made more $ in gaming before 1998 than most will in a lifetime) about the work he is doing with Rift.  Regardless of what you think or feel, it's going to be the future of gaming, because the developers are making their long term future products require it.  The cost will come down, remember that 300$ is for a developers kit, not a retail product.

I'll bet you that in 5 years or whatever your necro challenge is, that it'll be a retail product under 200$, and for at least 50% of the top 10 best selling games at the time, it'll be if not a requirement, something that is absolutely necessary to take full advantage of the games and be competitive with them.

Five years goes fast, I remember 2009, hell 1999 like it was yesterday on this bbs, but Rift's moving forward that fast IMO.

Over at Star Citizen they have an entire division in Canada working JUST on implementing Rift with their full release of Star Citizen and Squadron 42, once Rift is ready, they want to be ready.  I read on their bbs that they purchased 50 developers kits just for the team from Star Citizen working on it.  That says a lot IMO.  FYI, the new version of Arena Commander for Star Citizen came out yesterday with TrackIR and 6dof working.  It's amazing, I can literally point the gimbal turret on the top of my Hornet fighter out the right side window, and shoot enemy fighters as we're maneuvering and fighting.  It's great, stick flies the fighter, head moves the view and guns, it's like the monocle on the AH64 apache for it's 30mm gun more or less.  Can't wait for Occ Rift to be working.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:18:52 AM by Gman »

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2014, 11:30:31 AM »
To Vulcan and others, thank you for your updates.  I am watching OR closely and think it might actually become a workable system this time.  Of course what do I know, I have been using my TM Cougar HOTAS for the past 14 years!  ;)

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2014, 12:39:17 PM »
According to this the final version is expected to cost from 200 to 400 bucks: http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/the-consumer-ready-oculus-rift-will-launch-in-public-beta-by-summer-2015-1265010
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2014, 04:17:35 PM »
Wow a personal attack for stating my opinion on a piece of computer hardware. If that's not nerd rage I don't know what is.

Vulcan I vaguely remember your goggles thread.

Don't confuse nerd rage with laying down some cold hard facts to correct ignorance.

Have you tried all of the above VR headsets to justify your opinion?