Author Topic: Oculus Rift Dk2  (Read 7479 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Oculus Rift Dk2
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2014, 12:38:59 AM »
Yet... I see nothing that solves the inability to see around you in meatspace by those pics.  Tango Foxtrot?  Unless they're figuring it's just as simple as having a cutout at the bottom and they'll just slap that into the final release.

I can live with it either way, but that's my single concern about the product.

Wiley.

Totem, the 'ripoff' according to Vulcan is equipped for both virtual and augmented reality so it's even more interesting than the rift IMO. The only problem is that rift has such a head start that we might end up with yet another VHS/Betamax battle.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2014, 01:10:33 AM »
Totem, the 'ripoff' according to Vulcan is equipped for both virtual and augmented reality so it's even more interesting than the rift IMO. The only problem is that rift has such a head start that we might end up with yet another VHS/Betamax battle.

The Rift DK2 has a USB connection on it so it wouldn't be hard to attach an AR camera.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2014, 09:03:54 AM »
Sorry forgot to mention that bit, I think I have mine set wider, but use my stick scroll wheel to change it as needed.

What command do you use to do that? Is there a Vorpx command that changes fov or do you use the AH zoom command? I think I must be missing some Vorpx documentation as to features and switches? Will look harder.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2014, 09:23:34 AM »
Yet... I see nothing that solves the inability to see around you in meatspace by those pics.  Tango Foxtrot?  Unless they're figuring it's just as simple as having a cutout at the bottom and they'll just slap that into the final release.

I can live with it either way, but that's my single concern about the product.

Wiley.

When this is fully implemented I think you will be surprised how little you will need the keyboard. With a good hotas and voice command setup I never need to use the keyboard. In VR the text buffer is actually very distracting. I would hope when HT implements the Rift he either puts the txt in the clipboard or in a separate pop up window. What I really would like is the ability to hear just the system txt directed at me like kills etc. I never pay any attention to the watermelon chat anyway. I am convinced that there will be a way to use your hands to control items in the virtual cockpit.

Terry

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2014, 11:01:27 AM »
When this is fully implemented I think you will be surprised how little you will need the keyboard. With a good hotas and voice command setup I never need to use the keyboard.

Perhaps in the MA you don't need the keyboard as much, but in scenarios and FSO you may have 2 different text channels to follow and respond to, as well as having to change your voice channel on occasion.

We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2014, 11:19:36 AM »

It looks neat, but Oculus got there first and has the marketing power of a fully operational Facebook behind it.  Unless they can make it work with the HMD support games will be putting in for Oculus, I just can't see it gaining much support.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2014, 02:30:30 PM »
Perhaps in the MA you don't need the keyboard as much, but in scenarios and FSO you may have 2 different text channels to follow and respond to, as well as having to change your voice channel on occasion.

I have voice commands setup to change radio vox channels, but what I need and haven't figured out yet is a way to get the text to voice and voice to text working for the text channels.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
I wish OR had a camera and you could toggle the view and see what's in front of you.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2014, 06:36:22 AM »
Any estimates on how long it will be before AH supports it and it's readily available?
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2014, 08:55:56 AM »
I wish OR had a camera and you could toggle the view and see what's in front of you.

You can ghetto mod one with a drill. Peek hole  :rock
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2014, 09:57:58 AM »
You can ghetto mod one with a drill. Peek hole  :rock
That is exactly what I plan to do with mine. Gotta see the keyboard! :P
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2014, 12:23:10 PM »
If I order one of these beasts (OR DK2) can one of you who have gotten it working help me through getting it up and running for me on aces?  I am oretty techie oriented, I am am VMware engineer as a job, but dont have a lot of experience with "solutioning" things for my gaming world.. I tend to click and play for games.. spend too much time "figuring stuff out" at work to do so at home lol

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P Secret Association of P-38 Pile-its
In-Game as Castiel
Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2014, 08:57:55 AM »
I will help if I can. I was really easier than I thought.

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2014, 02:56:47 PM »
Picking up an OR DK2 this evening from a guy here locally that is selling his.  Could use some advice on getting it setup and working in AH...
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P Secret Association of P-38 Pile-its
In-Game as Castiel
Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2014, 06:04:03 PM »
Buy Vorpx and download Opentrack (not the railroad software. Do you already have trackir5?