Author Topic: AoM vs The Damned 2v2 Skyyr/Kruel vs ChangeUp/Triton28  (Read 15618 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: AoM vs The Damned 2v2 Skyyr/Kruel vs ChangeUp/Triton28
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2014, 02:30:02 PM »

You see, you could load 50% fuel if you feel that we're going to try to outlast you, but you would complain that you're not as maneuverable as someone with 25% fuel. So, logically then, we would choose perhaps 50% fuel for most planes, but then people would complain they couldn't turn them as well as they could with 25% and that they're at a disadvantage, even though the other guy is identical.
[/quote]I don't see the problem,  if both sides agree to 25, 50, 75, 100 fuel then fuel load is an excuse that is not valid....un less someone takes the wrong load out.....which is easy to notice in films.

If someone uses fuel as an excuse in a set fuel load duel....then nobody is going to want to duel that person, and the community will flame him on the boards and 200.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2014, 02:30:55 PM »
I guess this is where you and me disagree on the point of a duel.  To me a duel is about fighting, not 'extending' and hoping the other guy runs out of fuel before I do.  As such, I see no reason to take more than 25% fuel in a duel which is far more enough fuel for a fight.

ack-ack

There wasn't any extending in this. Much more time was spent making sure 6s were cleared before a kill was achieved. Remember it was a 2v2 not a 1v1.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2014, 02:31:25 PM »
Sadly, as was called previously, all of these arbitrary rules simply boil down to excuses. For whatever reason, an overwhelming majority here aren't happy with truly neutral or fair play, they want rules that suit their style of play, and they want those rules enforced on everyone else.

This format is set up to have a neutral playing field. Of course, there are inherent problems with every format, and we are still revising the rules to be as neutral as possible. If anyone can logically, and coherently, point out a flaw in the current format that gives an advantage to one side and not another, then we will honestly and genuinely evaluate it and address it, if at all possible.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2014, 02:32:30 PM »
Oh that's CRAZY talk, Vraciu!  No one would be dumb enough....to.....ahh...run out of fuel during a....squad or 2v2 duel.... in a.... LA7?

:huh

<FLASHBACK TO ONE WEEK AGO>

Skyyr - "Let's take 50% this first round....this 5v5 in these LA7s could last a while."

Fulcrum - "I'm taking 25%.  I don't want to lose the manuverability."

<~10 minutes later>

Fulcrum - "Kruel!  Hang on up there. We got the last one 2v1!  I'm below you and will climb up to help!"

*sputter sputter ping! <dead>*

:uhoh

:bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead

:rofl

Good one!  Truly funny.  :)
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2014, 02:32:34 PM »
While I am trying to keep it light, Triton....my post was meant to underline the point Kruel is making.

I ran out of fuel because of a decision I made.  No one held a gun to my head.  I did not complain, nor did I cry to the skies "THE MUPPETS RAN ME OUT OF FUEL THE DIRTY B@STAGES!!  CHEATERS!!!" afterwards.  My choice, my mistake.  Period.  The same would have been the case if I had shot off all but a 50 rounds and then ran out of ammo.

Am I inclined to agree the limits should be set?  Yep...if only to keep the after action arguements down.  But do I see Skyyr and Kruel's points, and the larger issue from a community perspective....ABSOLUTELY.  But I highly doubt those issues can be resolved by a 2v2 match league so I lean to just setting the limits.  I'm a realist.

The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2014, 02:34:19 PM »
Sadly, as was called previously, all of these arbitrary rules simply boil down to excuses. For whatever reason, an overwhelming majority here aren't happy with truly neutral or fair play, they want rules that suit their style of play, and they want those rules enforced on everyone else.

This format is set up to have a neutral playing field. Of course, there are inherent problems with every format, and we are still revising the rules to be as neutral as possible. If anyone can logically, and coherently, point out a flaw in the current format that gives an advantage to one side and not another, then we will honestly and genuinely evaluate it and address it, if at all possible.

That would best be served in a separate thread for a rules discussion
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »
I don't see the problem,  if both sides agree to 25, 50, 75, 100 fuel then fuel load is an excuse that is not valid....un less someone takes the wrong load out.....which is easy to notice in films.

If someone uses fuel as an excuse in a set fuel load duel....then nobody is going to want to duel that person, and the community will flame him on the boards and 200.

The problem isn't a problem that we (The Damned) have; rather, we were allowing the other team the option of loading less fuel, should they opt to go to a turn fight and want the additional maneuverability.

While we try not to initiate angles fights, we acknowledge that many players prefer them, and are accustomed to dueling with 25% fuel; therefore, we were not going to "penalize" those players by forcing them to load 50% or more fuel.

We are truly interested in a format that allows every pilot to fly to their own advantages, not in what suits us best. This is why we didn't have a preset fuel amount - load what you think you'll need.

There was no running or extending in these fights either. In fact, there was only one set of fights where fuel was an issue (the first). All other fights were over within a few minutes.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2014, 02:37:10 PM »
The problem isn't a problem that we (The Damned) have; rather, we were allowing the other team the option of loading less fuel, should they opt to go to a turn fight and wanted the additional maneuverability.

While we try not to initiate angles fights, we acknowledge that many players prefer them, and are accustomed to dueling with 25% fuel; therefore, we were not going to "penalize" those players by forcing them to load 50% or more fuel.

We are truly interested in a format that allows every pilot to fly to their own advantages, not in what suits us best. This is why we didn't have a preset fuel amount - load what you think you'll need.

There was no running or extending in these fights either. In fact, there was only one set of fights where fuel was an issue (the first). All other fights were over within a few minutes.

Lmao...no one is buying what you're sellin....allowing more maneuverability, lol

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2014, 02:38:43 PM »

Lmao...no one is buying what you're sellin....allowing more maneuverability, lol

So fuel quantities don't affect maneuverability? I'm bookmarking this quote. :rofl

You do realize that in every fight but the LA-7 fight, we loaded 25% fuel, right (at least to the best that I remember)?
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2014, 02:38:48 PM »
I guess this is where you and me disagree on the point of a duel.  To me a duel is about fighting, not 'extending' and hoping the other guy runs out of fuel before I do.  As such, I see no reason to take more than 25% fuel in a duel which is far more enough fuel for a fight.

ack-ack

No one tried to run anyone out of fuel during the 5v5 last week.  It was constant engagement.  But multi-ship engagements can take more time than a 1v1 duel (as I found out the hard way) it's a very different beast from a 1v1.

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2014, 02:41:37 PM »
I guess this is where you and me disagree on the point of a duel.  To me a duel is about fighting, not 'extending' and hoping the other guy runs out of fuel before I do.  As such, I see no reason to take more than 25% fuel in a duel which is far more enough fuel for a fight.

ack-ack

There was no extending in these fights. Most fights were over within 4 minutes. The fact of the matter is that we loaded 25% in all but one fight, to the best of my recollection. We have the films and can post them.

25% in an LA-7 might be enough for a 1v1, maybe, but it's very questionable once you introduce multiples vs multiples. It's barely 11-12 minutes.

Obviously, you have the fear of someone fighting you in this format "extending on you," without realizing that a) that you'd be both faster and more maneuverable than them and b) the extending aircraft would effectively put themselves at a disadvantage in doing so.

That being said, perhaps a time limit does need to be implemented. This solves both the case of those who extend and refuse to fight, as well as establishing a fuel standard.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:43:57 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2014, 02:42:54 PM »
So fuel quantities don't affect maneuverability? I'm bookmarking this quote. :rofl

You do realize that in every fight but the LA-7 fight, we loaded 25% fuel, right (at least to the best that I remember)?

That you want to allow people the choice of increasing their maneuverability lol.  Book that quote

You didn't remember on the prior page, lol.  Sorry if I don't trust your memory, lol
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:44:26 PM by Changeup »

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2014, 02:45:45 PM »
That you want to allow people the choice of increasing their maneuverability lol.  Book that quote

So please, pray tell, aside from your first LA-7 duel, at what point would ANY fuel capacity have mattered in your fights?  :rofl
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2014, 02:48:35 PM »
If the fuel load is the same and mandated, that's a level playing field.  This is fact. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2014, 02:48:42 PM »

If fuel doesn't matter except for running out of it....why not just load 100% next time?  That way you won't have to worry about it.

:huh

I'm trying to follow the illogical twists and turns of your arguement and counter-arguement, but.....