Author Topic: You can't take your score with you when you die  (Read 5434 times)

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
Re: You can't take your score with you when you die
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2014, 06:00:20 PM »
Those who live a code of honor in a game are much more likely to follow that same code in life, they don't "game the game", their egos are more than likely much less over the top, and they don't RUN AWAY FROM THEIR PROBLEMS! How you act and believe in real life absolutely, without a doubt, is how you play games. If winning is your only source of self esteem, if running away to save your cartoon life is ok with you, you don't

I typically lean toward the OPs opinion, but you got a lot to learn about people and life.

It's a fantasy game, it hardly ever reflects real life.

Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2014, 06:01:07 PM »
My life can be taken, my honor I leave behind.

Death before dishonor.

:airplane:~<Dahmer

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2014, 06:31:55 PM »
Imagine if golf was played in the same manner as AH MA arena......

Tiger Woods beaten by player ranked 200 spots below him....Tiger not happy so challenges the upstart to a 1 on 1 putting contest, first to 10 puts is obviously the better man.

Actually it would be more like this...

Happy Gilmore has the longest drive in the world. But he has no short game, and gets beaten by peeps who do. Therefore he declares that golf should be *entirely* about who can drive the ball the furthest, and that anyone not playing the game by his vision is "dishonorable" and "classless".
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2014, 08:19:43 PM »
Your line of reasoning is essentially "They are not playing the way I want them to! Therefore I will smear them as being classless!" This is INCREDIBLY control-freakish and narcissistic.

I've seen lots of arena messages when I logged into the MA. Haven't seen a single one yet that said "Okay guys, from now on, no HOing, running, or picking." And when I suggested formal rules against such things :D , not a single person voted in favor of them, now did they?

So what you've basically got here is a vocal group of narcissists who don't seem to realize that their complaints are EXACTLY equivalent to some crackpot saying "I don't like bunting in baseball. It is completely allowed by the rules, but I don't like it, therefor it is dishonorable." Some players just make up rules that have neither been instituted by the game creator nor agreed upon by the player population, and then want to say anybody who doesn't follow them is dishonorable? Ridiculous.

I'll play that game a little just to show how ridiculous it is: All sorties must now be flown inverted. If you fly right-side up, you are "gaming the game" for an advantage over those of us who choose to fly inverted, and you're dishonorable!  :rofl

Actually that sort of behavior I'm discussing, what is worthy of being labeled utterly classless.

Also, if I assumed everyone was in life as they were in the game, I would pity then anyone who had to deal with someone so whiney, ineffective, and generally unhappy,  who thought they were in the right to excoriate anyone who didn't conduct themselves according to that person's every little preference.

See this here? This is classy behavior. Going by past observation, you would have ranted at Coaly on 200 for minutes for his "sin" of picking someone out of a 1v1 fight.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,365268.msg4860435.html#msg4860435

You really DO have a problem with reading comprehension don't you? My post had nothing to do with the OP, nor did it have anything to do with how people play the game. I quoted you DIRECTLY ......

The problem is that people make up some non-existent rules in their head, above and beyond anything the creator of the game built in, then when other folks who have never explicitly or tacitly agreed to this rule set in anyway don't follow them the would-be dictators of flying style wish to tar them with the brush of "dishonor"

....and posted about "honor" and "class".

Your film/screen shots certainly DO show a player with some honor, and some class. It wasn't you, but CoalCat showed a lot of class to apologized for picking you. You showed restraint by not blowing up at him for it.

...as for the OP, I don't like how some fly/play the game but I never have said anyone should play the game my way. I do however alway ask, and wonder, if your playing a combat game, why would you run away from combat?

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2014, 08:28:14 PM »
My life can be taken, my honor I leave behind.

Death before dishonor.

:airplane:~<Dahmer

Wise words! Death before retreat! Die gloriously in a flaming ball of wreckage! Take your enemies down with you!  :devil :joystick: :old:

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2014, 09:00:47 PM »
If you are around long enough, and fly against the many different "characters" in the game, along with talking to them in game, on the phone, in person.... It is very easy to see and clarify the qualities and attributes / traits, of that individual....

Now, how one chooses to view and describe the way that individual presents themselves will most times fall in the following categories of either being/having or not!

.those categories are: Character - Integrity - Respectability - Class - Humble/Humility and some people/players would also include Honor

Not every single game player will acknowledge this, but the majorities do! and always have since my very first online experience in the early 90's....

One's true self actually does filter through while they are playing the game or posting on the boards!

Copprhed and Fugi do have some truth to their posts...

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2014, 11:06:41 PM »

Copprhed and Fugi do have some truth to their posts...

Living by some John Wayne "code" in a fantasy game does not equate to character, integrity or bravery in real life.

Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2014, 11:36:37 PM »
So stop running from a fight.  :old:

pffft girly men.

Stick it out, you might learn something other than saving your precious K/D dependant ego.

I'll run if I feel like it.  you on the other hand may want to stop whining like a girly man when players dont play your way  :devil.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2014, 12:08:56 AM »
You claim people who don't play a game by your preferences, pseudo-"rules" that they've never in any way agreed to fly by and which by no stretch can actually be considered the rules of the game, are dishonorable and classless. In point of fact, in making this silly claim YOU are the one who is dishonorable and classless, as well as pathologically controlling. Honor is too important a thing to be twisted into an excuse for narcissistic whiners to berate other players in an internet game.

Your film/screen shots certainly DO show a player with some honor, and some class. It wasn't you, but CoalCat showed a lot of class to apologized for picking you. You showed restraint by not blowing up at him for it.

If "picking" is wrong then honor and class is shown by not bloody well doing it, not by doing it and then apologizing for it afterwards. But since the notion of picking being "wrong" in a multiple bandit arena is absurd, he had nothing to apologize for, as I informed him. You would have likely gone on one of your patented "someone killed me in an unapproved manner" tirades that anyone who monitors 200 when you fly is familiar with.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2014, 12:12:55 AM »
Living by some John Wayne "code" in a fantasy game does not equate to character, integrity or bravery in real life.
Absolutely true.

But I can't help but think being habitually unpleasant to other players in-game because they don't live by the particular fantasy-game code some espouse DOES say some things about THEIR character, and these things are not good.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2014, 12:29:39 AM »
I've been spending my free time going to bars and trying to pick up chicks with "Hey girl! Did you know I had a 2.5 K/D ratio in Aces High 2?"

It doesn't seem to work.  :( :o

I once met a real life Hornet pilot and bragged to him that I used to be number one  in fighters and attack one tour in Aces High.  He wasn't very impressed either.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2014, 01:11:44 AM »
Muzik, please note the fact that my post was talking about actual players "in real life" and comparing it to the way they play/respond in game and on the boards....

Thus the reason I typed only "some truth", which means I was not agreeing completely to each of their posts, only parts of them...

«§»

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2014, 02:25:12 AM »
you wait I'm rolling in my grave  :old:

:lol
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2014, 03:36:02 AM »
So stop running from a fight.  :old:

pffft girly men.

Stick it out, you might learn something other than saving your precious K/D dependant ego.

109s are turn fighters!  :old:

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2014, 03:52:49 AM »
I have now have a compost bin in my garden :old:

I thank you :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario