Author Topic: need advise on 7.1 sound card  (Read 10119 times)

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Re: need advise on 7.1 sound card
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2014, 05:00:59 PM »
Ok, but which DAC is that? And I hope you realize that even the very best of High-end amplifiers struggle to get 102db SNR ;)

And you know that today most of the sources are digital hence the need for DACs, right? And what the SNR (ideal) values for DACs should be at given resolution and sampling rate?

Also, IIRC, high-end AMPs SN is typically measured at 1W not at full output.

For example one of my favourite amps of all time, Mark Levinson No. 334 had only 80db s/n ratio ;)

Oh yes, at 1W and even if that'd be at full output, it would be plenty for vinyl  ;)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2014, 05:07:49 PM »
And you know that today most of the sources are digital hence the need for DACs, right? And what the SNR (ideal) values for DACs should be at given resolution and sampling rate?

Also, IIRC, high-end AMPs SN is typically measured at 1W not at full output.

Oh yes, at 1W and even if that'd be at full output, it would be plenty for vinyl  ;)

The 334 can weld metal if needed. Most people never understand what that means. I'm going to pass out now.. good night.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2014, 05:59:30 PM »
I should have asked for help in deciding who was prettier, ginger or maryann.  that would have been easier  :bhead.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2014, 05:38:14 AM »
I'm just not sure I would go with a sound card anymore. Last couple I had caused issues.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2014, 07:05:29 AM »
I'm just not sure I would go with a sound card anymore. Last couple I had caused issues.

Creative zX is worth every penny.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2014, 08:25:39 AM »
Creative zX is worth every penny.  

At 150 bucks it's a waste of money. You should choose a cheaper model. The 50 bucks price audio control module is seriously flawed, several reports tell that it severely degrades audio quality as opposed to plugging the headphones directly to the card. The zX uses the same Core3D chip like the built in solution discussed earlier, by the way.

The 30 dollar Asus Xonar DG has got really good reviews and gives a good bang for buck. It uses the C-media processor.

UPDATE - 4/20/13

So, I have brought this issue up with others on Head-Fi (audiophile website forums). Many others have tested this out for themselves and have reported back with the same problem. There have been many differnt headphones used and the problem exists with all of them (Superlux HS668b, Ultrasone Pro900, Sony V-6, Sennheiser 558...ect).

It is worth noting that while the ACM degrades audio quality, the built in microphone on the ACM is better than the microphone on the Z model. I have tested out both mics and compared them with my Zalman Zm-Mic1 ($8) and the Zx mic is on par with the Zalman - while the Z model mic is not as good.

Also, it seems the people with the ZxR model ($250) are not noticing a big difference in audio quality with the ACM. That does not mean it does not degrade the audio - but those I have conversed with on Head-fi stated that the audio was not significantly affected. So, MAYBE the ZxR model has a better ACM.

UPDATE: 6/6/13:
Here is a link to the Head-fi forum where I first started this conversation. The conversation goes on for several pages of the forum. My username on Head-fi is Povell42

Link: [...]

Here is a link to the same forum (pg 31) where others agree with me and the user phrozenspite confirms that the same issue happens with his ZXR Model.

Link: [...]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:30:41 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2014, 10:01:54 AM »
At 150 bucks it's a waste of money. Youto the should choose a cheaper model. The 50 bucks price audio control module is seriously flawed, several reports tell that it severely degrades audio quality as opposed to plugging the headphones directly to the card. The zX uses the same Core3D chip like the built in solution discussed earlier, by the way.

The 30 dollar Asus Xonar DG has got really good reviews and gives a good bang for buck. It uses the C-media processor.

there's no comparison in those cards,  z wins easily.   And they are only 90 bucks.   I own the z and also a similar card  to the dg.

semp

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2014, 10:10:18 AM »
there's no comparison in those cards,  z wins easily.   And they are only 90 bucks.   I own the z and also a similar card  to the dg.

semp

LOL I highly doubt it's worth the price difference.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2014, 10:39:03 AM »
Computers are a waste of money unless you are making money from them, Ripley. Real life is much more interesting. It's all in how you look at it.

Next you will be telling me that buying WD Xe drives are a waste of money. You would be wrong there too.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2014, 10:46:22 AM »
Computers are a waste of money unless you are making money from them, Ripley. Real life is much more interesting. It's all in how you look at it.

Next you will be telling me that buying WD Xe drives are a waste of money. You would be wrong there too.

You seem to be right on every matter lately. There is such a thing as return for your money and that you do not get paying triple price for that card. And buying Xe drives are indeed a waste of money if you run a desktop. SSDs will do the same job much more efficiently.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2014, 11:33:19 AM »
LOL I highly doubt it's worth the price difference.

to me it is.   Have you owned the z and compared it against the asus? 

semp

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2014, 01:55:47 PM »
You seem to be right on every matter lately. There is such a thing as return for your money and that you do not get paying triple price for that card. And buying Xe drives are indeed a waste of money if you run a desktop. SSDs will do the same job much more efficiently.

Uh, no. More evidence that you do not understand specialized technology. There is a reason you buy an Xe drive over an SSD. Similarly, there is a reason you buy a specialized sound card over a motherboard with an extra sound chip on it. But, there are many humans that are just tone deaf and that will never understand. It doesn't make sense for a color blind person to be a color coordinator, so I never will understand why you continue to offer opinions on hardware.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2014, 02:14:54 PM »
Just to make a general statement here.  Please cease the personal attacks and keep to the facts of the matter at hand.

Everyone has an opinion when it comes to sound.  Feel free to express said opinion, but do so without taking cheap shots at others opinions.

There are a lot of people who would not get any benefit from a high end audio device for their computer.  People who think there is no difference between a $2.00 audio chip and a $950 audio card have no need for that high end card.

Just because one person does not need it, does not mean it is not a better solution for someone else.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2014, 03:48:56 PM »
Just to make a general statement here.  Please cease the personal attacks and keep to the facts of the matter at hand.

Everyone has an opinion when it comes to sound.  Feel free to express said opinion, but do so without taking cheap shots at others opinions.

There are a lot of people who would not get any benefit from a high end audio device for their computer.  People who think there is no difference between a $2.00 audio chip and a $950 audio card have no need for that high end card.

Just because one person does not need it, does not mean it is not a better solution for someone else.

You may have nailed me on the $2 buck chip statement. I just know that a xonar I had didn't make it and neither did an older Creative Labs SE card. However, I may have done something in error. I'll investigate further.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2014, 03:59:51 PM »
Ok, but which DAC is that? And I hope you realize that even the very best of High-end amplifiers struggle to get 102db SNR ;) For example one of my favourite amps of all time, Mark Levinson No. 334 had only 80db s/n ratio ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

Yes the Levinson can weld metal and melt your face at the same time,I've listen to several levinson amp and any of them would be overkill for most homes!

I was invited to a VIP demo of a new projector system for the home a few weeks ago,the complete system was just north of 180 grand! :O but you could get any screen size that would fit your room and it did come with complementary theater seats and a popcorn machine. It was using a "Valve" Macintosh amp assembly and the speakers were various,depending on the room.

I have to suffer with an older integra amp,it only has 3 valves but it's considered a hybred design.Personally I dont like electrostatic speakers,maybe I've never heard the "right" ones but they always seem to lack bottom end and the ultra highs,which I cant hear anymore used to sound tinny to me. Yes I know a good sub will take care of the bottom but I've never seen a electrosub!   My integra runs and even old pair,ya only a pair of castle speakers which can cause you to loose your hearing!  I did have a pair of EV's but once I had a kid running around I had to move the speakers up out of reach and the EV's at about 100 lbs were just to big!

Besides my son actually poked on of the mids and that was about a 350$ lesson!

I picked up a thorens at an auction for too cheap.... and use a stanton cartridge,the thorens is all manual,the cheapy but still one of the nicest turntables for the price!

Every once in awhile I listen to Zack play drums...ya I have the vapours on vinyl! :devil

As for sound cards.....bla   I cant listen to music thats played on a computer!

:salute