Author Topic: 72-75inches Pony  (Read 5751 times)

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
Re: 72-75inches Pony
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »
You said it in a conversation specifically about the Mk XIV, which you had just previously claimed was so dominant, then forced to try to talk away its obviously not dominant stats.

If you were then bringing in other Spitfires, which to that point had not been part of the conversation, you needed to have specified such.

I did, note how I mentioned something about "any" of the spitfire guides....

When have I ever talked away its stats? I've been the person here saying it is superlative. It is a fact that the Spit XIV possesses a nonpareil combination of speed, turn, climb, roll, and dive.

Anyhow not matter how you slice this it is only a disconnect regarding your interpretation of what I said/meant to say. Allow me to clarify again: I meant spits in general, not the XIV.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:23:14 PM by shift8 »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 04:21:38 PM »
Not opposed to those planes getting those ratings.
It so happens that I am opposed to it as it would make the game less balanced, and ultimately it is a game.  It would be one thing if the P-51 et al were modeled on fuel types they didn't use in order to "nerf" them, it is something else entirely when one performance level is chosen over another for gameplay reasons when either choice is valid.

Even adding perked versions would give the non-perked, 100 octane versions an advantage that other aircraft don't enjoy.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 04:30:13 PM »
It so happens that I am opposed to it as it would make the game less balanced, and ultimately it is a game.  It would be one thing if the P-51 et al were modeled on fuel types they didn't use in order to "nerf" them, it is something else entirely when one performance level is chosen over another for gameplay reasons when either choice is valid.

Even adding perked versions would give the non-perked, 100 octane versions an advantage that other aircraft don't enjoy.

Ok, your opposed to it. Never said you werent.

Also that is exactly what is going on. 150 grade was STANDARD, for the Eighth and was authorized for the entire USAAF. Not all the AAF's may have implemented it as early as June 44, but not every 109 or 190 had MW50, even when they were fitted for it. Some 109s used C3, others used B3 + MW50 to achieve the same boost rating. Some didnt get MW50 or C3 and had to run at lower boosts. Not giving it its historical boost rating is doing exactly what you said shouldn't be done.

How on earth does added a perked version help the non-perked versions?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 04:33:58 PM »
How on earth does added a perked version help the non-perked versions?
By creating uncertainty.

Chasing a Mosquito Mk VI in your Fw190A-8, he has some smash and is pulling away.  Which version is he?  If it is the 100 octane version you might catch it, if 150 octane it is a waste of time.  Many will just give up the chase.

Chasing a Fw190A-8 in your Mosquito Mk VI, you know exactly what his top speed is and whether you have a shot at catching him or not.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 04:37:49 PM »
One assumes that the icons would be made different at close range, like Temp/Typhy or the various marks of 190 and Jug. I see no reason why HTC would break this pattern if they chose to add a higher-performing Mustang.

Edit: Don't you think it is *fairly* likely that the P-51s are nerfed just a little bit to offset their enormous popularity with Americans? There is always variable data from tests to choose from. Anyway, there is no "balance" issue that cannot be fixed with sufficient perkage.

By creating uncertainty.

Chasing a Mosquito Mk VI in your Fw190A-8, he has some smash and is pulling away.  Which version is he?  If it is the 100 octane version you might catch it, if 150 octane it is a waste of time.  Many will just give up the chase.

Chasing a Fw190A-8 in your Mosquito Mk VI, you know exactly what his top speed is and whether you have a shot at catching him or not.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:41:52 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 04:37:57 PM »
+1

Perk it if you must but please add it.  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 04:38:07 PM »
By creating uncertainty.

Chasing a Mosquito Mk VI in your Fw190A-8, he has some smash and is pulling away.  Which version is he?  If it is the 100 octane version you might catch it, if 150 octane it is a waste of time.  Many will just give up the chase.

Thats the weakest argument that has been postulated so far. Are you serious? It cant be implemented due to uncertainy?

This already exists in game for the pony and many other planes. P-51 B/D or P-47D or M or the massive difference in Spitfire speeds, or dare I mention the Ta152? Or the F4U-4..............or do you also want those removed?

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 04:39:33 PM »
Hey there Shift8, Zoney here, I play as Zoney in game also.  What is your in game name please ?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 04:44:38 PM »
One assumes that the icons would be made different at close range, like Temp/Typhy or the various marks of 190 and Jug. I see no reason why HTC would break this pattern if they chose to add a higher-performing Mustang.

Sorry, no.  That only works at short range.  The additional advantage exists at longer ranges than sub 1000 yards.

I chase down P-51Ds in the Mossie VI as it is, give the Mustang a 72" to 75" perked version and I'd likely stop even trying because it would go from difficult to quite possibly a waste of time.

In addition I'd love to hear the justification for being able to visually ID a Spit XIV at +18lbs from one at +21lbs boost.

Thats the weakest argument that has been postulated so far. Are you serious? It cant be implemented due to uncertainy?

This already exists in game for the pony and many other planes. P-51 B/D or P-47D or M or the massive difference in Spitfire speeds, or dare I mention the Ta152? Or the F4U-4..............or do you also want those removed?
Just because you don't like it doesn't make it weak or invalid.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 04:47:09 PM »
Sorry, no.  That only works at short range.  The additional advantage exists at longer ranges than sub 1000 yards.

I chase down P-51Ds in the Mossie VI as it is, give the Mustang a 72" to 75" perked version and I'd likely stop even trying because it would go from difficult to quite possibly a waste of time.
So by your logic the Tempest, P-47M, and 190D9 should also not be in this game either because you can't tell whether it is the fast or slow version until you close the distance to the more revealing icon range.

In addition I'd love to hear the justification for being able to visually ID a Spit XIV at +18lbs from one at +21lbs boost.
The same as the justification for being able to visually tell an M Jug from a D-a concession fore gameplay.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2014, 04:51:31 PM »
Sorry, no.  That only works at short range.  The additional advantage exists at longer ranges than sub 1000 yards.

Logic dictates that it is weak and invalid. Also, just because you say it is valid doesnt make it any more valid. Pointing out that my disagreement doesn't prove you wrong is about as useful as mentioning both of us are giving our opinions.

So if HTC wanted to add a 109 AS or G10, would you balk at that too because differentiating them from a K4 would be near impossible at any useful range?

Additionally there are all sorts of ways you could make them visually identifiable as distances you might identify one 109 from the other or a spit from another. Without a Icon change all of those planes are hard to tell the difference between unless your already so close it doesn't matter. Given were already in spitting distance, you could change the icon scheme or give it certain paint scheme etc. not to mentions this whole thing is silly because it already is a thing in game with the plane in question and many others.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2014, 05:41:27 PM »
Karnak just doesn't like P-51s because they are way popular...kinda Hipster of him.  :devil Me, a target is a target, and Mustangs have fewer inherent advantages than a lot of planes, so why should I complain about their ubiquity? *shrug*

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2014, 06:38:46 PM »
Karnak just doesn't like P-51s because they are way popular...kinda Hipster of him.  :devil Me, a target is a target, and Mustangs have fewer inherent advantages than a lot of planes, so why should I complain about their ubiquity? *shrug*
I don't want them more popular, Spit XVI's neither.

As it stands I have no problem with P-51s as fighters, just wish that 1000lb bombs were controlled on fighters to give attack aircraft more of a purpose.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2014, 07:41:57 PM »
Nice how when you run out of arguments you resort or making inferences to my character/motives/ability. I have flown all the in game planes...big whoop. Perhaps you are getting your feelings hurt because you didnt realize the mustang was capable of such boost levels? The P-51 isnt even my favorite plane, game or real. I am a spitfire person, and after that I like 190s.

Once again, your analysis of those statistics is irrelevant, myopic and misused. Or are you also going to claim that the F-86 is ten times better than the Mig 15?
:airplane: I may be way out of line here, because I just can't remember the details, but, the 100/150 you mention was "refined" to a 115/145 and that mix allowed the 51D engine to have a "hotter" burn at TDC than the 100/150, so there was no point in raising the allowable MP.
The "wire" was added in front of the throttle for a reason, when you "break" the wire, you stand a good chance of damaging the engine! In over 400 hours in the "Ponie", I only broke the wire twice, once in a mock dogfight with two Navy Skyraiders and once, trying to clear a line of thunderstorms at 31,000 feet, both times it, the reserve power did what it was supposed to do, get "Tater" out of trouble!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2014, 10:28:25 PM »
I wonder if the fuel range can be having an impact on the stats also?

I almost never fly the spitfires because of the short range of the gas tanks.  I prefer to have enough fuel to fly longer if I need to rather than RTB for gas all the time.  as many fights have a reasonable time to target flight time the better fuel range of the 51 makes it a more obvious choice.