Author Topic: 72-75inches Pony  (Read 5839 times)

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
Re: 72-75inches Pony
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 03:43:32 PM »

The P-51 not only has the most raw numebr of kills every tour, it also has a very high K/D despite being the staple of the masses:

(Image removed from quote.)

X axis: K/D, y axis 'usage' (k+d)

This is once again wholly irrelevant. The performance stats of the P-51D do not justify how high it stands on that chart. You cannot simply post the results of sorties and then disregard than actual performance of the planes. Those stats do not show the types of missions those sorties were flown on, it does not show what kinds of planes were shot down or fought etc. It would be more interesting if it was a statistic that included KDR in battles where only La7, P-51, 109K, Dora, and Spit XIV were used. If you used that same KDR logic regarding the Mig 15 and the F-86 over korea to assert the F-86 was superior than you would be equally wrong.

Regardless, given how relatively easy it would be to add, and the historical accuracy it has, it should be added even if perked.

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 03:44:07 PM »

All those 109s, Spits, F4Us and 190s must really suck, because the P-51s far outnumber them all in the stats.   And it is easy mode.  That is the main reason for it's popularity, whether you will admit it or not.

Except it is not easy mode, whether you admit it or not.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 03:55:53 PM »
The performance stats of the P-51D do not justify how high it stands on that chart.

Axtually, they do. You are just selcting a very narrow part of the planes performance .... it's the whole package what makes the P-51D so very successful as a fighter despite the huge number of pilots, especialyl n00bs, flying it.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 03:58:55 PM »
Except it is not easy mode, whether you admit it or not.

I have fought in every plane in the game (have you?) and have scored 100+ verifiable kills in every single one (whoop-dee-doo for me) and know for a fact that it absolutely is easy mode.  Your feelings may be hurt because you are an obvious P-51 fanboy.  Funny, how you don't notice that despite being heavily outnumbered by all those planes you mentioned, the Mustang magically gets many more kills then all of them: while at the same time, being rather ordinary in fighting capability.  Amazing.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »
Shift8, what is your in-game handle please?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 04:01:04 PM »

Axtually, they do. You are just selcting a very narrow part of the planes performance .... it's the whole package what makes the P-51D so very successful as a fighter despite the huge number of pilots, especialyl n00bs, flying it.

I wouldn't regard speed/turn/and climb a small percentage of a planes performance. They are the essential characteristics. Of those, the 51 only really packs speed, and against the planes it does not outtrun, it can only out turn one of them, and out climb none.

And once again, MA stats are not relevant to a planes inclusion or exclusion. They are also not a substitute for a common sense analysis of the aircraft performance data. Nor are they a full story of the KDR, as many different factors effect that.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 04:05:10 PM »
As its currently stands, you may as well name the game "Aces High Spit XIV"  so that logic doesn't hold up.

It could always have low ENY or be perk. Seeing as it entered service well before the 109K or 190D, or La7. it really isnt all the crazy to ask for. TBH, it makes more sense to make this the default setting for the P-51D since the plane entered service right as this boost rating was made standard. But that's not what I'm asking for.

You could even choose to model it as a type or ord, so that it could be disabled through bombing etc. It would be easy to implement relatively speaking, as no new 3d model is required, and the only changes to the existing FM would be max power/thrust and corresponding changes to the supercharger aneroid settings.
Spitfire Mk XIV High?  Really?

Tour 175:
Spitfire Mk XIV   1646 kills, 1847 deaths, k/d ratio of 0.89

Now lets look at the P-51D in Tour 175:
P-51D   13733 kills, 10935 deaths, k/d ratio of 1.26

Oh, look, the P-51D has almost ten times the kills, and a better K/D ratio, than does the Spitfire Mk  XIV.  Want to rethink your claim.

Well, maybe you meant Spitfire Mk XVI, lets look at it in Tour 175:
Spitfire Mk XVI   7056 kills, 6132 deaths, k/d ratio of 1.15

Well, that is certainly more like it, but still barely over 50% of the P-51D's kills, so the claim still falls flat.

Now, it is worth noting that the Spitfires Mk XIV, Mk XVI, as well as the Tempest Mk V, Mosquito Mk VI and P-47M were also using 150 octane to get higher performance than they have in AH (P-47M may be modeled with it, not sure, not really a P-47 guy, but the others are not, not sure Spitfire Mk XVI's ever operated without it) just like your P-51D.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 04:05:43 PM »
I have fought in every plane in the game (have you?) and have scored 100+ verifiable kills in every single one (whoop-dee-doo for me) and know for a fact that it absolutely is easy mode.  Your feelings may be hurt because you are an obvious P-51 fanboy.  Funny, how you don't notice that despite being heavily outnumbered by all those planes you mentioned, the Mustang magically gets many more kills then all of them: while at the same time, being rather ordinary in fighting capability.  Amazing.

Nice how when you run out of arguments you resort or making inferences to my character/motives/ability. I have flown all the in game planes...big whoop. Perhaps you are getting your feelings hurt because you didnt realize the mustang was capable of such boost levels? The P-51 isnt even my favorite plane, game or real. I am a spitfire person, and after that I like 190s.

Once again, your analysis of those statistics is irrelevant, myopic and misused. Or are you also going to claim that the F-86 is ten times better than the Mig 15?

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 04:09:52 PM »
Nice how when you run out of arguments you resort or making inferences to my character/motives/ability. I have flown all the in game planes...big whoop. Perhaps you are getting your feelings hurt because you didnt realize the mustang was capable of such boost levels? The P-51 isnt even my favorite plane, game or real. I am a spitfire person, and after that I like 190s.

Once again, your analysis of those statistics is irrelevant, myopic and misused. Or are you also going to claim that the F-86 is ten times better than the Mig 15?

Dance the night away!  :lol
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
Spitfire Mk XIV High?  Really?

Tour 175:
Spitfire Mk XIV   1646 kills, 1847 deaths, k/d ratio of 0.89

Now lets look at the P-51D in Tour 175:
P-51D   13733 kills, 10935 deaths, k/d ratio of 1.26

Oh, look, the P-51D has almost ten times the kills, and a better K/D ratio, than does the Spitfire Mk  XIV.  Want to rethink your claim.

Well, maybe you meant Spitfire Mk XVI, lets look at it in Tour 175:

Spitfire Mk XVI   7056 kills, 6132 deaths, k/d ratio of 1.15

Well, that is certainly more like it, but still barely over 50% of the P-51D's kills, so the claim still falls flat.

Now, it is worth noting that the Spitfires Mk XIV, Mk XVI, as well as the Tempest Mk V, Mosquito Mk VI and P-47M were also using 150 octane to get higher performance than they have in AH (P-47M may be modeled with it, not sure, not really a P-47 guy, but the others are not, not sure Spitfire Mk XVI's ever operated without it) just like your P-51D.

Yeah......Im not the one here trying to use the MA stats to support my opinion. I dont even know why you posted this.

And I am not opposed to those other planes receiving the boost as well. I think the XIV's are already modeled with it, but im not sure.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 04:11:44 PM »
As for the spit, it is routinely recommended to new pilots because of how easy to fly and OP it is.
The Spitfire Mk XIV is NEVER recommended for new players because it is a beast that has to be constantly controled.

New players usually get pointed at the Spitfire Mk VIII, Spitfire Mk IX or Spitfire Mk XVI.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:17:55 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 04:14:51 PM »
The Spitfire Mk XIV is NEVER recommended for new players because it is a beast that has to be constantly controled.

New players usually get pointed at the Spitfire Mk VIII, Spitfire Mk IX or Spitfire Mk XVI.

I said "spitfires" not spit XIV

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 04:16:53 PM »
I said "spitfires" not spit XIV
You said it in a conversation specifically about the Mk XIV, which you had just previously claimed was so dominant, then forced to try to talk away its obviously not dominant stats.

If you were then bringing in other Spitfires, which to that point had not been part of the conversation, you needed to have specified such.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 04:18:03 PM »
Yeah......Im not the one here trying to use the MA stats to support my opinion. I dont even know why you posted this.

And I am not opposed to those other planes receiving the boost as well. I think the XIV's are already modeled with it, but im not sure.
Spitfire Mk XIV in AH is at +18lbs boost and does 358 on the deck, that is 100 octane.  At 150 Octane it would be at +21lbs boost and in the 370 to 380 range on the deck, climb would be well over 5,000fpm.  Spitfire Mk XVI would be at +25lbs boost (it is at +18lbs boost in AH) and about 355 on the deck, well over 5,000fpm in climb.  Mosquito Mk VI would be at +23lbs boost and over 370mph on the deck, perhaps touching 380mph.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline shift8

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 04:18:07 PM »

New players usually get pointed at the Spitfire Mk VIII, Spitfire Mk IX or Spitfire Mk XVI.Spitfire Mk XIV in AH is at +18lbs boost and does 358 on the deck, that is 100 octane.  At 150 Octane it would be at +21lbs boost and in the 370 to 380 range on the deck, climb would be well over 5,000fpm.  Spitfire Mk XVI would be at +25lbs boost (it is at +18lbs boost in AH) and about 355 on the deck, well over 5,000fpm in climb.  Mosquito Mk VI would be at +23lbs boost and over 370mph on the deck, perhaps touching 380mph.

Not opposed to those planes getting those ratings.