Author Topic: JOUSTING! (Or learning how to shoot people down, first-pass, at the merge)  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
Re: JOUSTING! (Or learning how to shoot people down, first-pass, at the merge)
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
We've had some good fights over the lake, right Flyman? :salute That said, of the many taters you have lobbed into my virtual airplanes, not a single one has caused real pain or blood shed. Dontya think that fact maybe precludes "wussiness/courage" from being part of the whole paradigm? ;)

Besides, whenever I dodge a HO, and believe me, I dodge like hell when I see a Typhie or a Mossie lining up for it, it is because going toe-to-toe probably isn't going to go well for me...mediocre shot you see...thus it could be argued I'm "wussing" out of perfectly fair test of relative gunnery skill, could it not?  :D

Exactly, people HO and run to save their virtual life, it's upsetting and makes stuff boring.

And yes we have had fun fights. :banana:

Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 01:57:50 PM »

To everyone else: this is an obvious troll attempt.  Please DON'T BITE.

There is no trolling intended whatsoever. I became somewhat bored one week during this past tour and decided to count all of the merges where I shot at my opponent, when it was clear they were maneuvering for angles and had no intention of shooting back.

Out of 322 "hot" merges over the course of one week, I killed 172 on the first pass. Another 67 of those resulted in hits where the aircraft was either disabled or otherwise unable to employ effective ACM and they were shot down in short order.

In case you were wondering, that's a 74.2% win rate... from firing at the merge. Not only is that a decent win rate, but also factor in the time savings.

If we generalize that the "average" fight lasts two minutes, then the jousting tactic saved 7.97 hours of time that would normally have been spent fighting. This frees up roughly another 8 hours to gain even more kills.

Once I had my statistics, I decided to post here and see if there was any interest.

That's all - nothing more, nothing less.

:salute
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:02:10 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 01:58:13 PM »
God this game has gone down the crapper, this just proves it IMO...  :bhead If I see anymore if this BS I'm out, why teach 2 weekers not to use ACM instead of etching them REAL ACM.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:00:32 PM by Coalcat1 »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 01:59:07 PM »
God this game has gone down the crapper, this just proves it IMO...  :bhead

You could find the very same kind of discussions 14 years ago ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 01:59:45 PM »
Because it's a wuss move that is so commonly followed up by diving to the deck and running to ack.

It's also used by those who are greatly outnumbered, or as a defense when getting dove on, in any occasion or reason my point is that everyone does it, if everyone just accepted that fact, adjusted and adapted their tactics to counter then all would be gravy.

All people do (instead of finding ways to counter) is whine. Remember what I said: its a helluva lot harder to shoot in the way to the top of a stall than it is to shoot on the way down. Yet the guys who get roped, will cry "HO!". Instead of looking inwards and what THEIR mistakes were.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 02:06:18 PM »
God this game has gone down the crapper, this just proves it IMO...  :bhead If I see anymore if this BS I'm out, why teach 2 weekers not to use ACM instead of etching them REAL ACM.

I'm not advocating the avoidance of ACM. Quite the opposite - if you use ACM, but can also kill your opponent the majority of the time at the merge, then what do you have to lose? I think you've experienced that first-hand.

Always a pleasure to fight you, sir.

Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 02:07:08 PM »
You could find the very same kind of discussions 14 years ago ;)

Rofl, yes I'm starting to see some of those surface, Zazen(sp?) seems to have made these points a long time ago, it's also surprising to read some complimentary comments made by some of the same folks who are calling "Heresy!" today. Say what your want but at least we have conviction lol.

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 02:07:42 PM »

It's also used by those who are greatly outnumbered, or as a defense when getting dove on, in any occasion or reason my point is that everyone does it, if everyone just accepted that fact, adjusted and adapted their tactics to counter then all would be gravy.

All people do (instead of finding ways to counter) is whine. Remember what I said: its a helluva lot harder to shoot in the way to the top of a stall than it is to shoot on the way down. Yet the guys who get roped, will cry "HO!". Instead of looking inwards and what THEIR mistakes were.

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything but I just don't HO when I'm outnumbered, my goal when being outnumbered mostly is to survive as long as possible, HOing wouldn't do it for me.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 02:10:50 PM »
Not trying to burst your bubble or anything but I just don't HO when I'm outnumbered, my goal when being outnumbered mostly is to survive as long as possible, HOing wouldn't do it for me.

You might not, there are many others that do. You can't expect everyone to behave like you. You must adapt to the combat environment you are in, not the other way around.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »

Everyone here is free to fly with one hand tied on his back, figuratively speaking.
I for myself am willing to use any tool & trick in my bag, if necessary. When theres a higher Spit diving on my clumsy Me 410, I absolutely WILL try to HO him... it's about the best chance I've got, unless that Spit pilot is totally inept.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 02:15:37 PM »
Exactly, people HO and run to save their virtual life, it's upsetting and makes stuff boring.

I think the best way to save their virtual life would be to run and to skip the part where they fly directly into the other guy's guns, yes?

I don't find being HOed more upsetting than any other form of losing a fight. I don't get hit by HOs very often either, probably because I expect it. I think the game might be more boring sans the HOs, as Hitech was alluding to.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 02:16:34 PM »
Everyone here is free to fly with one hand tied on his back, figuratively speaking.
I for myself am willing to use any tool & trick in my bag, if necessary. When theres a higher Spit diving on my clumsy Me 410, I absolutely WILL try to HO him... it's about the best chance I've got, unless that Spit pilot is totally inept.

This.

Also, if you do chose to fly with one hand behind your back,  You can't complain when you get beat. But that is exactly what is happening here.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 02:18:09 PM »
You must adapt to the combat environment you are in, not the other way around.

How ironic.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »
There is no trolling intended whatsoever. I became somewhat bored one week during this past tour and decided to count all of the merges where I shot at my opponent, when it was clear they were maneuvering for angles and had no intention of shooting back.

Out of 322 "hot" merges over the course of one week, I killed 172 on the first pass. Another 67 of those resulted in hits where the aircraft was either disabled or otherwise unable to employ effective ACM and they were shot down in short order.

In case you were wondering, that's a 74.2% win rate... from firing at the merge. Not only is that a decent win rate, but also factor in the time savings.

If we generalize that the "average" fight lasts two minutes, then the jousting tactic saved 7.97 hours of time that would normally have been spent fighting. This frees up roughly another 8 hours to gain even more kills.

Once I had my statistics, I decided to post here and see if there was any interest.

PS   hoin when totally out number is a totally different kettle of fish

I'm confused a little...I'm sure that you stated in another thread that you found there to be no or very lacking competition within AH and yet you don't actually want competition at all... The only person you are competing against is yourself....you say above that you could see they were looking to set up for an angles fight which inevitably could turn into a competitive turn fight using all the (and more than real sometimes) abilities of the aircraft you have chosen for the sortie and yet you want to take the sucker punch because it looks better on the score card....
sure it does in one respect...but in another it means jack within the over all game dynamic that is AH... if score really matters there are others that will keep a lifetime achievement score... You are totally driven by  score and ...in reality a very small part of an over all scoring system.... so this must mean from my unskilled, bad grammatical, summation that you you need a chest to pin it to.....

Don't get me wrong...as it is said it is your $15.... but AH has never been a typical arcadish style fighter game to me which is what kept me wanting to log in more and more.... this is not the case these days... it is a shame from my perspective (numbers could be a factor here though...the majority staying are..well.... not my people so to speak)

Out of curiosity...how many other flight sims have you been/are a part of.

Oh yes...Hoin when being jumped on by 4 other cons is a different kettle of fish....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:27:36 PM by SPKmes »

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 02:21:52 PM »

Fighting in a combat game?  You mean like competition?  That's crazy talk!  Thanks for clarifying that the game is really about self-promotion and winning at any cost.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."