Author Topic: Fury  (Read 5252 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: Fury
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »
And you keep asking questions and engaging me in debate. For someone supposedly not interested in my opinion you sure ankle-hump a lot.  :aok
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2014, 03:44:04 PM »
I didn't address you with a question. I made an observation about the apparent need of some posters in the thread (even if it obviously includes you). Even then, if you felt the need to address my post as if it were a question aimed at you, you're not much into offering a direct or logical answer.  Your need to go on and on defensively about your opinion of the movie is my fault from page three? Really?  :aok

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2014, 04:14:39 PM »
I made a review of the film in a thread about the film... You have done nothing but troll me and others who didn't like the film. For some reason, probably nationalistic, you can't abide someone not liking this film. Well, isn't it time you stopped humping my leg little dog? (That's a rhetorical question btw.)  :aok

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2014, 04:54:40 PM »
You two are definitely that awkward couple at the dance...

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2014, 05:12:15 PM »
U971 is that the British story the colonials made out they did?.
I saw a movie called U571 that claimed to be a fictional account and gave full credit to those who obtained the enigma machine and broke the German code. 

Is U971 the one with Kelsey Grammar?

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2014, 05:19:49 PM »
It's the one with Bon Jovi...

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2014, 05:45:46 PM »
I made a review of the film in a thread about the film... You have done nothing but troll me and others who didn't like the film. For some reason, probably nationalistic, you can't abide someone not liking this film. Well, isn't it time you stopped humping my leg little dog? (That's a rhetorical question btw.)  :aok

Well, regarding your review, I kinda figured it was more an emotional thing than anything else. Kinda sad to see that revealed.  ;)

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2014, 04:58:26 AM »
Saw it today and really liked it - sure it had a number of cliches, but then so does SPR has which I still think is an excellent film - but even then, SPR is no more revolutionary in story or plot than like good number of classic war films from the 50's, 60's or 70's.

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
The problem with a war movie like Fury - they could of easily...easily turned it into a 13 hour BoB.  Start with the crew in Africa and follow them right into Germany.

There was so much I think the director wanted to say about war - he showed it in the brutal hedge fight...for me that was one of the more realistic engagements and messages. It was a brutal...utter brutal engagement. And our grandfathers (or fathers) had to fight in situations like that for months and years.  Makes you appreciate how fracking crazy all the tank crews were - every member except for the new kid were nutz and so desensitized to the everyday death and destruction they faced they were barely human.  The movie did a good job on showing that.  The Tiger battle - was cinematic - which is what movies do cause they only have 2 hours to tell their story.

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2014, 02:00:47 PM »
wouldn't a tiger crew rather increase their distance to the enemy rather than decrease it?  seems like charging 3 shermans at once opens you up to getting killed. :) 
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2014, 05:58:03 PM »
And at the range they were fighting the 76 mm M1 on Fury would have had a good chance of penetrating the front armor of the Tiger, and certainly the side armor. And they perpetuated the myth about the Tigers rear being the only weak spot when in reality its side and rear armor was of equal thickness so they could just as easily have shot it in the side. They managed to get into a defilade position on the opposite side of the road from the Tiger and smoke him... Then they charge the Tiger head-on rather than use dead terrain to flank it. And that's just a tiny fraction of the historical errors and military ineptness displayed by the filmmakers. I do get that there are limitations as to what looks good on film, but it could have been done a lot better. The script felt sloppy and rushed.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:03:20 PM by GScholz »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2014, 11:44:01 PM »
Speaking of war movies, something a bit different might be worth watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKy7Q50tJ84

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2014, 08:57:44 AM »
And at the range they were fighting the 76 mm M1 on Fury would have had a good chance of penetrating the front armor of the Tiger, and certainly the side armor. And they perpetuated the myth about the Tigers rear being the only weak spot when in reality its side and rear armor was of equal thickness so they could just as easily have shot it in the side. They managed to get into a defilade position on the opposite side of the road from the Tiger and smoke him... Then they charge the Tiger head-on rather than use dead terrain to flank it. And that's just a tiny fraction of the historical errors and military ineptness displayed by the filmmakers. I do get that there are limitations as to what looks good on film, but it could have been done a lot better. The script felt sloppy and rushed.
to make a movie, the tiger fight had to be moved tighter, for the camera, as in any movie and any fight between enemies, to film it at the distances needed for accurate historical perspective, well it wouldn't have been much of a movie then!
The fight itself is the same fight I've read over and over, showing an attrition  rate about on par with the scene,
the tiger wouldn't have been moving at all except to position its gun for the next shot as it would be in cover, the M4's would be advancing as fast as possible to get past it and hit it in the rear or sides near the engine compartment,

yes, the actual distance would have been greater,,, show me what movie used accurate distances to display this fight please?
Flying since tour 71.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2014, 10:34:54 AM »
The best tank battle film to date in my opinion is the 1955 Czechoslovak film "Tank Brigade". It depicts the Battle of the Dukla Pass in September–October 1944. It also sort of follows a tank crew, but not nearly as intimate as in Fury. There's plenty of theatrics in this film as well, but hardly as silly and overdone as that ludicrous last battle in Fury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOwxUZwUz7Y

And yes, those are real T-34s and real Pz. IVs and real StuG IIIs, real 109s and even a real Panther. And it's filmed at the real locations of the historical battle...

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2014, 10:50:03 AM »
As for showing the horrors of war with a tank-crew as the main setting, Fury doesn't hold a candle to "The Beast".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWbp5hxzXTo