Author Topic: FIVE Easy Things to Improve the Game NOW  (Read 4923 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: THREE Easy Things to Improve the Game NOW
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2014, 01:32:36 AM »
Rapier, no and yes.

It is a 'chicken versus the egg' statement. You are saying that the numbers are low because of negative chat. I would say it is the exact opposite. When the numbers were high, I said nothing. There wasn't anything to talk about, other than I want an F8F and a P-61B. As the numbers dropped sticks began to ask why. As the numbers got lower, the questions turned bitter. Finally, here we are.

I fully expect that negative chatter does have an impact on the game, without a doubt. Though it is NOT the cause of our numbers cut more than half.

boo

The Warbirds death spiral had nothing to do with the boards.

The decline here doesn't either.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 02:57:02 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: FIVE Easy Things to Improve the Game NOW
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2014, 02:45:28 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what percentage of the players in the MA get on the forum here?

According to HTC, a very low percentage, which is strange considering the time and effort put into patrolling/moderating the bbs, but that's an entirely different issue.

I would suspect that the complainers do not represent the majority of the players.

If that is true, explain why the numbers are 3/5 to 1/2 or lower each night than they used to be back in the Titanic Tuesday/Blue/Orange days?  Especially when other 15$ per month sub games that are nearly as old (Eve, etc), are still thriving, even increasing in numbers which are many, many times what is going on here?

That having been said, any product needs to change (evolve) as the needs of the consumer change

This is exactly what I've been saying for a year+ - that all this attrition of the player base can't be wrong, and that SOME change is needed, I don't care about which change, as I have little complaint myself about the game personally, however it's obviously a major issue to many, many other players.

I believe HTC is doing that.

How so exactly?  I asked Lusche a few threads ago about this specifically, if he could chart the "Change" that HTC has brought in say the last 3 or 4 years.  He found one, a very small change to how the strat system operates.  If you're referring to the new version, you can't make any claim about "change to the game" coming, as HTC has remained comms dark about this, as usual, other than the obvious change to the graphics engine and such.  No mention of any changes to how the game actually "plays" or works.  If there is anything I will consider "complaining" about, it's not the game, it's the fact that virtually NO change has happened in this 3-4 year time perioddespite a huge migration of players elsewhere, despite obvious signs of dissatisfaction problems among many.  It doesn't take a business PhD to see the following - many complaints on bbs, 3/5 to 1/2 the number of players online from recent past, no changes to game despite this - that something has gone amiss, somewhere.  

Getting tired of all the whining, armchair quarterbacking, and "business experts" spouting their unsolicited 2 cents. No disrespect intended to the OP or anyone else

Fair enough, I'm no fan of reading them either, but I'm less of a fan of having 278 as a peak number at night, and after 8 or 9 pm seeing less than 200 on nearly every single night this week.  Standing up to the crowd and saying "all of you whiners here suck", and then turning around a few years later, seeing the crowd is half the size, and repeating the same statement despite the fact that half the people have left....

I have hope, or I wouldn't be staying around paying for a game a barely play any longer.  I'd love nothing more to see several gameplay changes at least attempted, even if only temporarily, to come along with the next big update.  IMO this would give HTC a much greater chance of keeping the large influx of players that will hopefully be coming out of the woodwork, as well as coming over from WT to see what this game is all about.  This in addition to large numbers having a way of sorting many of the current issues out on its own, will hopefully make this one of very few games to ever last 20 years online. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 03:00:54 AM by Gman »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2014, 02:59:05 AM »

Quote from: Gman
...Nero likes to play the fiddle I've heard.

I think it was a Lyre.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 03:01:43 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2014, 07:19:23 AM »
Never tried  Eve - is it worth a look?  I can only devote 12 hours a week to the game

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2014, 08:53:18 AM »
Never tried  Eve - is it worth a look?  I can only devote 12 hours a week to the game

Don't know if it's worth your time, but it's worth a look in any case.
However, Eve is much more complex for AH, and for a lone player it can be astonishingly difficult. Flying alone into PvP space is usually an instant death sentence, much more so than in AH, because of the technological discrepancies between old and new players.

The good news is you don't have to invest that much personal gaming time, as your character will learn all the time, even when you logged off. But it still takes many months of real time to get to any reasonable level of character skill & equipment.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:55:04 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: THREE Easy Things to Improve the Game NOW
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2014, 09:40:38 AM »
The Warbirds death spiral had nothing to do with the boards.

The decline here doesn't either.

And yet you appear to have an opinion that attacking the game and the programmers that maintain it on the very game forum they maintain for the community, as well, will be somehow beneficial? Interesting. Was this a practice/belief you held firmly to when you were a Warbirder? Thanks so much for bringing it here.  :aok

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2014, 11:12:17 AM »
^^^^^^ Let me guess.   "What do camels and Arlo have in common?   Legs and humps...."

Am I close?

This is like bidding blind nillo in Spades, except easier because the deals are always the same.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2014, 11:17:34 AM »
^^^^^^ Let me guess.   "What do camels and Arlo have in common?   Legs and humps...."

Am I close?

This is like bidding blind nillo in Spades, except easier because the deals are always the same.

Was that a yes, no, maybe or stroke?

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2014, 01:58:33 PM »
The market changed, AH did not.

Numbers are way down, they are working on eye candy. I HIGHLY doubt we have lost numbers because of eye candy. Likely the biggest hit was the economy, which means AH needed to analyze and adjust their entry cost with the market, they did not. As the numbers slipped due to the economy, they further slipped as the culture changed due to lower numbers. It has 'vicious cycled' itself to our current state of affairs.

AH is Vegas style all in with the eye candy. I highly doubt it changes the numbers. Marketing and cost structure will.

In any case...
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2014, 02:30:20 PM »
The market changed, AH did not.

Numbers are way down, they are working on eye candy. I HIGHLY doubt we have lost numbers because of eye candy. Likely the biggest hit was the economy, which means AH needed to analyze and adjust their entry cost with the market, they did not. As the numbers slipped due to the economy, they further slipped as the culture changed due to lower numbers. It has 'vicious cycled' itself to our current state of affairs.

AH is Vegas style all in with the eye candy. I highly doubt it changes the numbers. Marketing and cost structure will.

In any case...

The previous incarnation of 'the sky is falling' gang wanted eye candy.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2014, 02:33:20 PM »
The previous incarnation of 'the sky is falling' gang wanted eye candy.

Your arguments are as excellent as per usual.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »

:rofl
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2014, 03:28:48 PM »

C'mon, you remember. The game had 'dated graphics' but HTC 'didn"t care' so the game was 'facing its demise.'

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2014, 12:02:56 AM »
On the subject of side switching, I would make it progressive.
First switch is one hour, the second would be two hours, the third, and any subsequent switches, would be three.
Just a thought  :old:
Any comments ?

LtngRydr
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2014, 12:20:08 AM »
On the subject of side switching, I would make it progressive.
First switch is one hour, the second would be two hours, the third, and any subsequent switches, would be three.
Just a thought  :old:
Any comments ?

LtngRydr

HiTech thinks side switch as is reduces "volatility" so....if I had to guess....it will be the way it is until wheels fall off...
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -