Author Topic: Yea,, Back off on the #$*&@(@ Pilot wounds!  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
Re: Yea,, Back off on the #$*&@(@ Pilot wounds!
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2014, 06:15:46 PM »
     Not the brightest bulb on the tree are you ?  In order to HO you must place your plane in the opponent's flight path, and therefore IN THEIR SIGHTS. here's a news flash genius.. if you are in their sights your chances of getting hit greatly improve !  and you could have the engine of a mack truck in front of you, that does nothing for the thin piece of glass  that exposes your head and shoulders. out of the 150+ bullets streaming out of the plane closing on you,,, there's a pretty good chance atleast 1 will find it's way into the cockpit.  And the data I base my premise on is HIS films. of the 5 or so I watched, mostly him in a 190, it was the same everytime..  Extend and climb, turn and come down on the opponent head on firing all guns. the only thing that semi impressed me was his aim.

The "glass" directly in front of the pilot was typically inches thick and solidly bulletproof (or heavily bullet resistant). This, combined with the engine, meant that the front of the aircraft was heavily armored, especially so on 190's (which is why they were commonly known to use head-on firing passes). Not only was it thick, but it was STEEPLY sloped and bullets that impacted it tended to be deflected instead of absorbed.

See here for an idea of the thickness of 190 glass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7nLTeNStX8

Also, I rarely ever take true head-on passes. You'll find I take frequently take front-quarter shots, but the opponent does not have a guns solution. 
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2014, 06:41:34 PM »
I'd rather have insta-death, because it would show how frequent pilot hits are and, hopefully, subsequently be reduced after enough people vocalize it.

I doubt it. As I said earlier, it may have been set that way to work with some other game function/setting. As Lusche said the numbers show that everyone has a much greater chance at taking more hits as that IS a game function.

Also, "dead is dead" whether it's because you took one to the head and died instantly, got a pilot wound and bleed out, or lost a wing and crashed into the terrain. You just click on the button to roll another plane.

Now if your worried about score and ranking, HTC will NEVER change it. It was built as it was and as it is the same for everyone it will keep the numbers true, as designed.... for game play.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2014, 07:55:05 PM »
5:1 (Cause '30:6' just bugs me.)

*shrug*

Math isn't his strong suit.
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2014, 09:51:57 PM »
So for the purposes of discussion, I logged my stats for last night:

Time flown: 01:30:00 (one hour, thirty minutes)
Sorties: 10
Kills: 30
Deaths: 6
Fights (opponents encountered, kills+deaths): 36
Pilot wounds: 4
Pilot wounds from AA/ack: No

Aircraft flown
Sortie 1: P-47M
Fights: 1
PW's: No

Sortie 2: LA-7
Fights: 3
PW's: No

Sorties 3-10: Ta-152H
Fights: 32
PW's: 4

Of those pilot wounds, almost all shots were dead-6 shots. The one exception is a single HO (that was initiated by the thread starter, no less :P). So from that sample size, we have a 1 in 9 chance of pilot wounding. Somewhat lower than what I "feel" is normal, yet still higher than the 1/20 and even the 1/10 percentages we've discussed previously.

I'll try to keep a running tally once I have a larger sample size.

That was my last flight of the night.. I knew it was you And knowing you dont hessitate to HO and given the way we were being ganged ( I didnt have a single flight that didnt end up at least a 3V1 in your countries favor) I saw no reason to not take the shot particularly knowing you were going to take the shot anyway (which you started firing the same time I did) and I didnt have the E build up to maneuver since I just came out of a fight.

There are instances where I condone HOing. Just that a pure 1V1 isnt one of them

But inasmuch as this isnt a thread about HOing. I digress. Of the first 5 sorties I had last night. I ended up with 3 pilot wounds. One from 1,000 out from british bbs from someone on my dead 6. Which to me are the most infuriating inasmuch as the 190 had a 13 mm plate to protect head and shoulders of the pilot

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:59:47 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2014, 10:04:42 PM »

Also, I rarely ever take true head-on passes. You'll find I take frequently take front-quarter shots, but the opponent does not have a guns solution. 

I've been Hoed by you on numerous occasions

You're cutting that margin of "Front quarter shots" awful thin aint ya?

Example. Last night it was close enough of a HO for us to collide. Cost me a wingtip.

Trust me dude. You dont shy away from taking a HO shot and most of your front quarter shots are only because your opponent. Or me in particular tried to veer out of the way creating a quarter shot as opposed to a true HO. Last night I didnt turn away as I normally would. And you didnt jink either
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2014, 11:52:39 PM »

I've been Hoed by you on numerous occasions

You're cutting that margin of "Front quarter shots" awful thin aint ya?

Example. Last night it was close enough of a HO for us to collide. Cost me a wingtip.

Trust me dude. You dont shy away from taking a HO shot and most of your front quarter shots are only because your opponent. Or me in particular tried to veer out of the way creating a quarter shot as opposed to a true HO. Last night I didnt turn away as I normally would. And you didnt jink either

I cut it VERY close, but I also rarely get hit and miss even less so. When you win 90-some-odd % of front-quarter shots with regularity, it's probably not HO'ing.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2014, 12:29:04 AM »
*shrug*

Math isn't his strong suit.

Stalking is yours though.   Along with spin.   :rofl

(Just kiddin' dude.)
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2014, 04:38:30 AM »

A ho, is a ho, is a ho.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2014, 06:17:43 AM »

Stalking is yours though.   Along with spin.   :rofl

(Just kiddin' dude.)

I don't take it that way.

I could care less about the Baghdad Fulcrum spinning stuff. I actually get a laugh out of that even if it's not completely accurate. But the other garbage is just that.... garbage. Leave it out of the discussion.

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2014, 08:29:37 AM »
I cut it VERY close, but I also rarely get hit and miss even less so. When you win 90-some-odd % of front-quarter shots with regularity, it's probably not HO'ing.

LMAO

I think by most peoples definition of a HO in this game. "VERY close" is a ho.  A HO isnt necessarily a zero degree angle to one another If it were each HO pass would end up with folks in each others cockpits each time every time.

but again. Tis wasnt suppossed to be  thread about Hoing. OR what a HO is or isnt. It has to do with PWs and the absurdity of some of them.
I got lucky last night. 1 PW for the night.

Damn near felt like I won the lottery
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:33:19 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2014, 09:12:07 AM »
Ahhh the HO debate.

My position on this has never changed and never will.  IF you are in my gun sights I WILL fire.  If you are going away from me I am some kind of fighter combat hero, heading towards me I am some kind of fighter combat villain!!   I see no difference - my guns point at your plane - automatic reaction to pull trigger.

Now of course there is a risk / reward factor in this.  If you are in a cannon equipped plane and I am in my P51 - I am not going to go for this.  It is 50 / 50 at best, against canon planes it is more likely 80/20 in their favour.  HOWEVER, I can usually (90%) of the time make a call to avoid the HO way before the enemy is within guns range. The only time that is not true is in gang bang fights - and yes, HO is essential - take every shot you can.

So, to HO or not to HO - you call it.  If I think I have a better than 50/50 I WILL take the HO - It is a scoring shot and that is what we are here for.  The 'dance' is a nice bonus but the kill is what we must strive for before all other goals.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2014, 09:41:42 AM »
If you are in a cannon equipped plane and I am in my P51 - I am not going to go for this. 

You would be surprised how many P51 pilots will go for it.  It never ceases to amaze me.

Anyway, back to OP off topic....I agree with DREDIOCK.   Too many PW!  Boo!   :old:  ;)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2014, 11:02:11 AM »
the kill is what we must strive for before all other goals.

And here is where reasonable minds can differ.

- oldman

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2014, 03:04:24 PM »
I so love purse fights...   :popcorn
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2014, 03:06:14 PM »
I so love purse fights...   :popcorn

:lawnchair

I'll take a break and watch as well   :D

Can I have some Popcorn?