Author Topic: Yea,, Back off on the #$*&@(@ Pilot wounds!  (Read 2805 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Yea,, Back off on the #$*&@(@ Pilot wounds!
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:02:54 AM »
Enough already! 2/3 of my flights in the last few months I end up with a PW.

And in a D9 I should not be getting Pilot wounds from bbs at 1000+ out from a pure 6 shot.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Yea,, Back off on the #$*&@(@ Pilot wounds!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 12:24:10 PM »
pws are annoying as hellllllllllllllllll
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 12:38:35 PM »
Radiator hits are more annoying. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 01:12:39 PM »
I too think HTC has a bit of an issue with the frequency of PW's, AND the number of radiator hits as well.  But... good luck in getting them to change anything. They have their "hit boxes" set. Best of luck to get them adjusted or changed.

On the other hand.... stop and think just how far a .50 cal round can penetrate aluminum from 600 yards.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »
Many pilot wounds here as well. Continuous problem for me since coming back in 2013. Getting good at landing quick before pilot dies.
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 01:33:33 PM »
I too think HTC has a bit of an issue with the frequency of PW's, AND the number of radiator hits as well.  But... good luck in getting them to change anything. They have their "hit boxes" set. Best of luck to get them adjusted or changed.

On the other hand.... stop and think just how far a .50 cal round can penetrate aluminum from 600 yards.

What's annoying for me is the plate behind the pilot, I've gotten pilot wounds from my 6 with that huge plate behind me(in some planes causing me to not be able to look at my 6).  So if the plate does nothing, at least remove it so I can look behind me since it serves no other purpose.  :D
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 03:46:23 PM »
Enough already! 2/3 of my flights in the last few months I end up with a PW.

And in a D9 I should not be getting Pilot wounds from bbs at 1000+ out from a pure 6 shot.

:airplane: Don't have any facts to back me up on this, but I would venture a guess that in a fighter, less than 2 or 3 % of fighter sorties had pilot wounds! Ever see any films of figher sorties ending with oil all over windshield? I haven't and I bet I have seen most of them over the years. An engine hit doesn't always cover the windshield with oil.
The same cannot be said of the bomber crews, as if they were attacked and did manage to get home, some of the crew was wounded most times, sometimes pilot and co-pilot, but I bet the times that both were wounded would also be very little. Something is wrong with the "box" as some have called it, but don't know anything can be done about it.
One that gets me is when a LA7 rams me from front and I am in a jug and he flies off, not even smoking and I have oil all over windshield and 1/2 of a wing gone! I also agree with the "6" shot when in a jug! The thing had armor plating a 1/2 inch thick! Deflection shots from 10-2-4-6 relative, OK, but straight on and straight "6" shots, I don't think so!!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 03:50:15 PM »
If you are coming at my bombers, rest assured I am aiming at your cockpit.   

That said, I wish that pilot wounds in buffs would take notice that we have a co-pilot on board, and I wish that there we some kind of indicator as to how fast I am bleeding out other than how much my cockpit window looks like an episode of the walking dead.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 06:09:46 PM »
If you are coming at my bombers, rest assured I am aiming at your cockpit.   

That said, I wish that pilot wounds in buffs would take notice that we have a co-pilot on board, and I wish that there we some kind of indicator as to how fast I am bleeding out other than how much my cockpit window looks like an episode of the walking dead.

I dunno, real life doesn't provide a health meter. I like the idea of planes with 2 pilots having sime redundancy.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 06:16:34 PM »
flew for 8 hours yesterday and only had one pilot wound. meh, don't seem to see them that often.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 06:23:19 PM »
I guess this is one of the glass half full / half empty things to look at, because each time I get a PW (and it's not that often), I'm glad it's not been an instant death. Most PW's I actually survive, unless in bombers.

Speaking of pilot wounds in bombers: I have been particularly unlucky yesterday. Took a Mossie XVI formation to the City. *boom*, PW. Bail out of the lead bomber and just one second later *boom* PW.  :noid
But overall  that's nothing I feel complaining about...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 07:20:10 PM »
each time I get a PW (and it's not that often), I'm glad it's not been an instant death.

Agreed.  PWs are a chance to land the plane.

- oldman

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 07:20:34 PM »
quit letting people on your Six.  :ahand :D
former squeaker, but you wont 1v1 about it
Most my friends are banned......
Kommando Nowotny

Offline CASHEW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 09:12:14 PM »
flew for 8 hours yesterday and only had one pilot wound. meh, don't seem to see them that often.
You also tend to be a 30 thousand feet picker
Peanut1 in game.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 09:48:03 PM »

600 ok maybe depending on how well the cockpit is armored.
The 190 had a 13 mm plate to protect head and shoulders of the pilot, 8 mm seat armor, some 5 mm and 6 mm plate to fill in the gaps around the seat, and an armoured windscreen 50 mm thick.
1000...no
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty