Author Topic: Who...  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
Re: Who...
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2014, 08:01:35 PM »
During WWII lol.  As in, like, this game.

Radar computing gun sights at the end of WWII into Korea, etc. Air forces have always tried to find an edge... for most of WWII through the 70s that edge was speed but it required TECHNOLOGY to help translate that into more effective killing.

The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2014, 08:05:35 PM »
:rofl  that is exactly why all the air forces of the world were trying to make their planes faster... to make the killing harder!  :aok

Actually they made faster planes to intercept the enemy (which is a different role than dogfighting, or air superiority); dogfighting was never an initial thought. Pilots actually stated that the age of dogfighting was over when planes started breaking 300mph. When faster planes first emerged, tactics didn't even exist for less maneuverable planes. Tactics for killing in fast planes came about as an afterthought.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2014, 08:50:41 PM »
kills per time and hit% is what is important

It's still all relative ;)

I hunt bombers. Preferably the high altitude ones. That means my k/h will suffer a lot. For I can easily spend 45 minutes to hunt down a set of B-29 only to get proudly home with a single kill, while some other dude may have gotten 10 in the same time from vulching.
On the other hand, my hit% will get a significant boost.

In the end, a pilot's score sheet (combined with his plane stats!) is just like a business card to me, explaining to a large extend what he's doing but only to a smaller one how 'good' he is. By the way, in the 'bomber' category not even that.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2014, 09:09:39 PM »
I've begged HTC To delete all my stats :bhead but I'm still having a blast :aok
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2014, 09:28:23 PM »
I've begged HTC To delete all my stats :bhead but I'm still having a blast :aok

They put it to a vote and the decision was made not to. I is all part of a bigger plan to make fun of you later on  :t :D

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2014, 09:34:07 PM »
They put it to a vote and the decision was made not to. I is all part of a bigger plan to make fun of you later on  :t :D
I knew it!!!  :rofl  :furious
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:35:38 PM by scott66 »
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2014, 10:03:58 PM »
By stating a faster plane can slow down, you just proved my point.

It is not the speed of a fast aircraft that helps it kill, as it would not need to slow down. All speed does is allow the aircraft to survive better than a slower aircraft would. Slower aircraft in general have better wing loading and therefore lose less airspeed during maneuvering, providing more maneuverability and more stable guns platforms.

A perfect example of this is an LA-7 vs an Me-262. Given equal pilots, the LA-7 will almost always have more kills and better accuracy, yet it is slower. This is because maneuverability is the key to getting kills, not speed. Speed simply dictates tactics; without maneuverability (which is inversely related to airspeed above corner speed, as a general rule), all of the airspeed in the world is useless.

No, I think you've elaborated somewhat on your original statement to make it look like I proved a point that you hadn't yet made.  :)

If I'm in a 109E and you're in a tempest and we both dive in together to tackle a flock of 10 aircraft, who do you think is going to score more kills? Who do you think is going to escape to land safely? It is undoubtedly easier to make kills and also to get away with it in a faster plane in Aces High. If you want to convince me otherwise then show me the stats that confirm the slower planes do most of the killing in this game.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »
No, I think you've elaborated somewhat on your original statement to make it look like I proved a point that you hadn't yet made.  :)

If I'm in a 109E and you're in a tempest and we both dive in together to tackle a flock of 10 aircraft, who do you think is going to score more kills? Who do you think is going to escape to land safely? It is undoubtedly easier to make kills and also to get away with it in a faster plane in Aces High. If you want to convince me otherwise then show me the stats that confirm the slower planes do most of the killing in this game.

What if you were climbing to engage someone  :bolt:
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2014, 10:13:10 PM »
No, I think you've elaborated somewhat on your original statement to make it look like I proved a point that you hadn't yet made.  :)

I think the 109E should stay up high and pick off the line of dweebs behind the trolling temp   :airplane: :x :x :x :x :banana: :joystick:
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2014, 10:53:28 PM »
I think the 109E should stay up high and pick off the line of dweebs behind the trolling temp   :airplane: :x :x :x :x :banana: :joystick:

:banana:
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2014, 11:44:14 PM »
What if you were climbing to engage someone  :bolt:

Good question. Though you are still much better off in the higher performing plane. Much more likely to catch the enemy up and equalise E. Or, if the situation happens to be one of defence against a higher enemy the tempest still has more chance at survival and going on to kill others. One simple evasive and nose down and escape for the tempest. Endless evasives without ever earning a shot for the 109e and no chance to escape the fight to reposition.

Staying alive is the priority if you intend to destroy as many enemies as possible in your sortie. Speed above all facilitates survival. Speed provides options. If flying at speed wasn't the easiest way to get kills then we wouldn't see 75% of the arena flying late war monsters the entire time. To suggest that a faster plane has a harder time making a kill shot is silly. It's like saying an F1 car can't beat a VW campervan because it's harder to corner at 180mph. The F1 car can drive at the same slow speeds, it just has so much more to give if desired.

Speed(read: energy) is the number one advantage in the Aces High Main Arena. The greatest player in the game cannot kill the worst if matched in an FM2 vs a 190D that is maintaining a 150mph advantage.

:D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:45:53 PM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2014, 11:53:21 PM »
Staying alive is the priority if you intend to destroy as many enemies as possible in your sortie. Speed above all facilitates survival. Speed provides options.

Speed doesn't only help survival, but also helps killining a direct way (enemy can't escape easily, has much less reaction time) and - often overlooked - allows YOU to reach the enemy before your teammates in slower planes can do.
That's one of the biggest downsides in flying slow planes like a Hurri I or I-16 - you get your 12 cleared by faster & heavier armed planes before you can close in for the kill.

Too bad we got the # of sorties taken away on the plane stats - would be interesting to see not only K/D, but also kills per sortie  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2014, 11:58:07 PM »
Speed gives you the ability to close on vulnerable targets before they recover. Sure its tougher for a 190D to kill a fm2 than it would be for a a6m5, but why go for the FM2 when you see a p47s full flaps out in a power climb.
See Rule #4

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2014, 08:26:35 AM »
Speed doesn't only help survival, but also helps killining a direct way (enemy can't escape easily, has much less reaction time) and - often overlooked - allows YOU to reach the enemy before your teammates in slower planes can do.
That's one of the biggest downsides in flying slow planes like a Hurri I or I-16 - you get your 12 cleared by faster & heavier armed planes before you can close in for the kill.

Too bad we got the # of sorties taken away on the plane stats - would be interesting to see not only K/D, but also kills per sortie  :old:

Was just wondering  that same thing last night.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2014, 09:55:27 AM »
Speed doesn't only help survival, but also helps killing a direct way (enemy can't escape easily, has much less reaction time) and - often overlooked - allows YOU to reach the enemy before your teammates in slower planes can do.

Good point.  From a "game" perspective, I didn't think about that to be honest....and I should have as it happens to me quite a bit when flying the 110.   :frown:

Experience has taught me to get fairly close before shooting.  Why?  Because the 12 clearing types usually don't mind flying THROUGH your stream of 20mm and 30mm i.e. Killshoot and *poof*...Instant Tower for you.  So the choices are:

1.)  Get close, make it harder for the guy to nudge in but run the risk of losing the kill to a faster plane
2.) Firing farther away but risk ending up in the tower due as a 51 dweeb comes blazing in to get the kill and runs through your fire.

Third option, of course, is to fly away from friendlies as much as possible...which I generally try to do...but it seems to be more and more difficult to as the decline in numbers tends to compress fights in the MA to a few very large furballs.  Ah well...
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.