Author Topic: time to neuter engine off/on ?  (Read 4534 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: time to neuter engine off/on ?
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2014, 04:35:43 PM »
Naa, it's a tactic some have learned to use to their advantage, but it is still gamey.  It's also a small reflection of what AH really is and is not - a video game and not a WWII historical flight simulator

Yup, some of these players spend way too much time finding out how to "game the game".

It's the society we live in, instead of playing it how it was meant to they have to find all those little things to tweak for an advantage.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2014, 04:39:52 PM »
Yup, some of these players spend way too much time finding out how to "game the game".

It's the society we live in, instead of playing it how it was meant to they have to find all those little things to tweak for an advantage.

Yep. Without these people, we wouldn't have ACM. It's a good thing Robert Shaw took the time to "game the game" when it came to dogfighting and broke down combat flying into segmented components. Lots of cries and screams were heard then too:

"Going vertical isn't fair! You're supposed to turn with me!"
"Varying your convergence for better shot spread?! Gamey!"
"Turning away from me to be able to turn inside me?! Preposterous!"

Those who think outside the box and do what is possible always prevail against those who blindly follow preconceived notions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 05:40:34 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2014, 04:40:03 PM »

A whine has been recorded.
Top Gun

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2014, 05:16:22 PM »

"Turning away from me to be able to turn inside me?! Preposterous!"

:lol

"Using ACM to turn inside a better turning plane?!  INSANITY!"
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2014, 05:17:10 PM »
A whine has been recorded.

No, not a whine. I couldn't care less how anyone else plays the game, just like Im sure they couldn't care less how little respect I have toward them for pulling lame moves.

Dive down to the agreed 5k challenge alt to gain 30-40 mph while not against the rules is lame.

Turning off your engine because you can't get your shot due to your inability to control your cartoon airplane, lame again.

HOin on every pass because you lack the ability to maneuver for a shot behind the 3-9 line, again lame, but if thats how you want to play, go for it. I KNOW you had the go for a lame trick to get a kill, and I get a shiny new plane anyway.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2014, 05:26:59 PM »
Fugitive, if your on tonight, I'm gonna hunt ya down and throw plane parts at ya (or have you shoot them off).

Not related to this particular post, just wanted it out there.

Wurz
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2014, 05:27:15 PM »
Fugitive is correct.

Some guys "go to moves" are often impossible in real life.

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2014, 05:31:44 PM »
Don't argue with the dorks, Fugi. It's New Years Eve.

If I've put myself in the position where my opponent turning off their engine helps their hammerhead and I die, I was probably already dead anyways. I really haven't seen significant difference between an engine off flier and someone who's on point with their fighting. The current top sticks will still spank these guys.
-AoM-

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2014, 05:48:19 PM »
Fugitive is correct.

Precisely why this is a game  :aok
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2014, 05:53:58 PM »
A lot of stuff would fall into the same category as how easy and reliably we can stop and start our engines.  I just watched a video on how you get flaps down on a 109.  With the type of fighting common in AH, the 109 would be a completely different plane if it took that long to get flaps down and back up.  Using engine stop and restart to bleed E or enhance a hammerhead isn't a big enough issue in game to bother changing in my opinion.
AMAX  in game

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2014, 05:57:10 PM »
Fugitive is correct.

If not impossible. Certainly many are improbable.
We have the advantage here of reincarnation. Doesnt matter if we get killed because we dont really get killed.
Not to mention that if we were to sustain the real life physical stresses of the moves we perform often for extended periods of time. We would see many many times more people lawn darting
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2014, 06:19:31 PM »
We have the advantage here of reincarnation. Doesnt matter if we get killed because we dont really get killed.

Exactly.
And that's why we dare to try many moves most sane real world pilots would have flinched from doing so. "Let's see if it work... no... not this time. Let's try again".

For example for years I was very successfully hunting tanks in AH in the Hurri IID. I as able to kill even the heaviest armored tanks because I was utilizing an attack profile totally different from what the real life Hurricane pilots did. I could only do so because I could practice it at infinitum while a real pilot would had been dead at the first fail. And even after I had sort of perfected it, I still 'died' once for every 4-8 tanks I killed - an extremely high K/D for AH, but still I would have been dead after just a couple of sorties.

If you are areally a purist, you could easy call the method on diving at such a steep angle and pulling out at such low altitudes as I did 'gamey', because AFAIK they didn't do it in real life. They had a life to lose. I didn't.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2014, 07:39:48 PM »
In AH an idling engine produces more drag that an engine that is off (unless it's a feathered engine on a many motor airplane).

not on a 234.   and I usually use that on bombers.

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2014, 07:40:21 PM »
Colombo, thanks for the answer. Just confirming the realism of a constant speed prop at idle causing more drag then one with the engine off.

There are many aspects of this game some find "gamey," the realty of immortality means there are things no sane man would do, done all the time in this game. Who was the last corsair pilot to roll inverted at 100 feet, gear down, flaps maxed out?

And yet is a daily in our magical little world. No doubt it COULD happen. No doubt the % of REAL survival is very low.

<S>

PS.  When did lusche go radioactive?
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »

PS.  When did lusche go radioactive?

After my holidays at Fukushima  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman