Author Topic: time to neuter engine off/on ?  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Re: time to neuter engine off/on ?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »
Robin Olds did that in his 38. Droped his tank and forgot to switch to internal. Shot down a Hun while his engines were still off. He restarted his engines in flight.  :old:
I heard about that.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 05:17:18 PM »
I did it once in my grandmother's Ford Granada when I was 16 and blew the muffler off it. :eek:

This is not the same thing, removing  spark  and returning it with out shutting off fuel from a plane is not a wise move in a plane. Fuel builds and then is ignited in the exhaust manifold.

HiTech

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2014, 05:19:46 PM »
This is not the same thing, removing  spark  and returning it with out shutting off fuel from a plane is not a wise move in a plane. Fuel builds and then is ignited in the exhaust manifold.

HiTech
Yeah, I was pretty sure there wasn't a muffler on the R-2800 Double Wasp. Probably a better fireball on the P&W too.

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2014, 05:38:44 PM »
I blew two mufflers out on a 71 Camaro a long time ago.  :D
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Hetzer7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2014, 05:41:54 PM »
I blew two mufflers out on a 71 Camaro a long time ago.  :D

You must have quite a set of lungs, Mr. Pipz  :salute

:P

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 05:46:27 PM »

:lol
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 06:56:08 PM »
CIn reciprocating engines, it's just a matter of ensuring the fuel pump is on and the mixture is open. Restart is simply a matter of turning the key at that point and the power comes back almost instantaneously.

If you used the mag switch (what I assume you're referring to as the key) to shut the engine off you're probably going to have a very rude awakening when you turn the ignition back on….little things like exhaust manifolds be cracked or separated, engine fire, etc.  Ever going roaring down the road and shut the switch off in your car then switch it back on?

Another problem that could pop up would be a runaway prop on restart.  These are quite stimulating.

In a general aviation light piston airplane it is a pretty simple thing to do an air restart.  With the bigger, higher performance engines used in combat aircraft it just isn't quite as simple all the time.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 07:01:49 PM »
I think the problem with one player shutting down the engine in middle of combat is that the other player is trying to blame somebody for not realizing early enough that he was going to overshoot engine on or off anyway.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »
If you used the mag switch (what I assume you're referring to as the key) to shut the engine off you're probably going to have a very rude awakening when you turn the ignition back on….little things like exhaust manifolds be cracked or separated, engine fire, etc.  Ever going roaring down the road and shut the switch off in your car then switch it back on?

Another problem that could pop up would be a runaway prop on restart.  These are quite stimulating.

In a general aviation light piston airplane it is a pretty simple thing to do an air restart.  With the bigger, higher performance engines used in combat aircraft it just isn't quite as simple all the time.

I was actually referring to the starter (which was key controlled in the majority of aircraft I've done air restarts in) to help start the rotation on a completely stopped prop, if necessary. Obviously it wouldn't be necessary if it was still windmilling.

We had one student pilot start the engine on the ground, then kill it with the mag switch while leaving the fuel pump running, and then immediately try to restart. He all but flooded it, with Av LL trickling onto the tarmac. He got a serious talking to about procedures after that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:34:29 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 09:05:18 PM »

jeezzz have you never heard him sing?

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2014, 09:52:42 PM »
It is not in any way complicated in most real planes. I've done it in real life while inverted before (was on wrong tank). I would also bet on long missions it was the norm for most pilots to have the engine stop producing power after a tank goes dry.

HiTech

Looks like its here to stay!

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2014, 10:40:14 PM »
Looks like its here to stay!
Like herpes!

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2014, 10:53:12 PM »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2014, 11:45:43 PM »
Gotta love all the irl pilots and WWII pilots in this thread.  :noid
Top Gun