Author Topic: time to neuter engine off/on ?  (Read 4531 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: time to neuter engine off/on ?
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2014, 09:47:03 AM »
I second Hitech, the difference is only on how long the engine is off. We used to run the fuel tanks dry flying the 402s. The engine sputters, sometimes stops and restarts by itself when you switch tanks as long as you do it right away. If you allow the prop to stop for too long, the fuel will vapor lock and it will be a &^%$# to restart. As Skyrr mentioned, crank it with the starter and play around with the mixture ... the longer u wait the harder to start and the more damage you do with shock cooling.

On a turbo prop like the Metroliner (direct turbine) you just hit start switch. If the prop is feathered you hold the 'electric unfeather' till you get some rotation and hit the start switch. The longer you wait, the cooler the engine gets and the harder it is to restart. On my Pitatus (free turbine) you look at the gas turbine speed. Over 75% hit continuous ignition, under 75% hit 'starter'.

Anyway I'm pretty sure the OP relates to a flaw/limitation in the flight modeling where props have way too much torque at idle making the plane do weird stuffs. To counter that and make clean hammerheads for example, some shut the engine off.

Here, see the difference : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=586lFSpIxsw

I'm curious.  Is this 1944-45 technology or are more current aircraft fitted with these types of starters etc?
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2014, 10:49:03 AM »
Attempts to maintain the set RPM until oil pressure is lost, then most props go to the "high rpm" angle.

which means they will be windmilling..

i think people are confusing a windmilling but not producing power engine, and an actual stopped engine.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2014, 10:50:52 AM »
Where is/are the all knowing AH Demi-God(s) AKAK and semp.

They always have answers to threads like this. Answers I enjoy reading and laughing at.
Top Gun

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2014, 10:58:48 AM »
i think people are confusing a windmilling but not producing power engine, and an actual stopped engine.

Provided there is fuel and the engine hasn't vapor locked, the only difference is that you'd turn the starter. Restart procedures for most recips with constant-speed props have "prop full forward" (high rpm) as a checklist item, which means that once any movement is introduced, the mass airflow over the propellor will keep it rotating.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 26-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2014, 11:30:19 AM »
Technical stuff set aside, no real pilot would purposely cut his engine(s) in a combat situation.  Which, makes the practice to do so in AH gamey.  

Having said that, it doesn't bother me to face a pilot that does this.  I don't think it gains them an advantage.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2014, 11:32:34 AM »
Also do not confuse the difference between featherable props (most multi engine planes) and single engine planes who's props will not feather and hence will keep turning unless the plane is to slow, or something has locked up the engine.

In AH if the prop has stopped turning it does not start instantly like the single engines planes do.

HiTech

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2014, 11:56:23 AM »
Technical stuff set aside, no real pilot would purposely cut his engine(s) in a combat situation.  Which, makes the practice to do so in AH gamey.  

Having said that, it doesn't bother me to face a pilot that does this.  I don't think it gains them an advantage.

You think it doesn't.

Sawzaw fell to this "disadvantage" many times back to back to back. All he could say was

"You're such a noob" - Yet I killed him
"Stop cutting your engine it doesn't do anything" - Yet I rolled on top of him every time

He is the most memorable one I have done this against because he raged and called me a noob even despite him being sent to the tower in his OWN ride. I do not acclaim to being good in the K4 or any ride for that matter but when you are killed in a ride you "specialize" in, I guess it does hurt the ego a bit.

Now, don't get it confused. I don't just cut my engine when I am too lazy to throttle back. There is reason behind the cutting of my engine. I always identify what type of fight it is before I make decisions like such. If you are going to E fight me I have no reason to cut my engine cause it takes away from my energy. Now if you're BnZ'ing someone or energy fighting someone and they cut their engine fighting you maybe they aren't sure how it works.

If you can't escalate on your opponents mistake then it doesn't matter if cutting their engine gives you an advantage or disadvantage.
Top Gun

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2014, 12:52:57 PM »
At the top of a loop to get it around enough to shoot "front qtr panel"....

Ah, the truth becomes evident. Someone got hit with a front-quarter shot while being roped by an opponent who turned their engine off at the top of the climb.

Is there some sort of problem with this?
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline JUDAS

• Zinc Member
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2014, 01:01:35 PM »
for the past week I have been cutting my engine off too!!  lmaoo IM NOT GONNA TELL YOU WHY(or why other do*but I know*) ..just know now...I do too! :devil

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2014, 01:08:40 PM »
Ah, the truth becomes evident. Someone got hit with a front-quarter shot while being roped by an opponent who turned their engine off at the top of the climb.

Naa, it's a tactic some have learned to use to their advantage, but it is still gamey.  It's also a small reflection of what AH really is and is not - a video game and not a WWII historical flight simulator
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2014, 01:58:51 PM »
for the past week I have been cutting my engine off too!!  lmaoo IM NOT GONNA TELL YOU WHY(or why other do*but I know*) ..just know now...I do too! :devil

Welcome to the club  :aok
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »

I'd have thought the OP title was pretty clear, not hiding any truth. It feels gamey to me.

You and others were not roping at the time, you were trying to get your nose around quicker for a HO shot. If I were roped it wouldn't be "front qtr panel", eh? Unless I were stalling falling backwards, I guess; not the case.

In a scissors fight I have done it a few times to keep from over shooting, never tried it to swing nose and don't think I ever will, feels dirty  :uhoh
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 03:11:02 PM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2014, 03:48:53 PM »
I'd have thought the OP title was pretty clear, not hiding any truth. It feels gamey to me.

You and others were not roping at the time, you were trying to get your nose around quicker for a HO shot. If I were roped it wouldn't be "front qtr panel", eh? Unless I were stalling falling backwards, I guess; not the case.

In a scissors fight I have done it a few times to keep from over shooting, never tried it to swing nose and don't think I ever will, feels dirty  :uhoh

This is a game. Until the flight modeling is 100% accurate and without fault (and no flight model is), then manipulation and control within it will always have a degree of gaminess to it. That's usually understood by most gamers.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2014, 04:05:28 PM »
I cut my engines from time to time...
1.  flying low and searching for M3s... kill engine so I can hear
2.  Low on fuel and want to make it back to base for what ever reason, climb, kill engines and glide down for awhile, I have flown 10 minutes on 3 minutes of fuel.  Not real fast, and doesnt work in a heavy combat environment
3.  Need to slow down in a big hurry to land quickly, kill engines, slide opposite rudder, pull back on stick and kill airspeed from 250 to 100 in seconds. drop gear, restart engine for better control and land.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2014, 04:19:48 PM »

3.  Need to slow down in a big hurry to land quickly, kill engines, slide opposite rudder, pull back on stick and kill airspeed from 250 to 100 in seconds. drop gear, restart engine for better control and land.

In AH an idling engine produces more drag that an engine that is off (unless it's a feathered engine on a many motor airplane).
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"