Author Topic: Terrain Editor  (Read 23872 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: Terrain Editor
« Reply #270 on: November 18, 2015, 03:05:47 PM »
 :rofl :aok
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #271 on: November 22, 2015, 06:08:26 AM »
I have been placing fields into a new terrain and ran into what seems to be a bug in the TE. When I had created 34 fields I noticed that about a third of these fields were the wrong colours on the TE's CBM and had changed countries from where I had originally set them. This happened just after I set the in-game starting positions for the fields in Settings/Fields Setup. When I tried to reassign these fields' countries in the TE the changes would not stick. To get the map back to how it should be I had to edit both the oba file and the fld file in notepad.

Once I got the map back to how it should be I tested the problem by reassigning field A9 from Rook to Knight in Settings/Fields Setup. As soon as I did this field A34 also changed allegiance on the CBM to country 4 with a white icon. So I would advise terrain builders to avoid setting in-game field positions until this bug is fixed.

Edit: I just added a few more fields to the terrain. After adding each one I saved the terrain and updated the CBM to check they were displaying OK, which they were. When I was ready to stop for the day I did a "Check for Errors" and all the fields I had just added changed colour from red to either blue or white on the CBM. The text description for each field on the CBM still displays the right numbered country however. The fld file has not been updated with the new fields I have added since I last edited it. This seems to be causing a mismatch between the icon colour which uses the fld file and the text description which uses the oba file.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 08:08:49 AM by Greebo »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #272 on: November 22, 2015, 09:17:22 AM »
I have been placing fields into a new terrain and ran into what seems to be a bug in the TE. When I had created 34 fields I noticed that about a third of these fields were the wrong colours on the TE's CBM and had changed countries from where I had originally set them. This happened just after I set the in-game starting positions for the fields in Settings/Fields Setup. When I tried to reassign these fields' countries in the TE the changes would not stick. To get the map back to how it should be I had to edit both the oba file and the fld file in notepad.

Once I got the map back to how it should be I tested the problem by reassigning field A9 from Rook to Knight in Settings/Fields Setup. As soon as I did this field A34 also changed allegiance on the CBM to country 4 with a white icon. So I would advise terrain builders to avoid setting in-game field positions until this bug is fixed.

Edit: I just added a few more fields to the terrain. After adding each one I saved the terrain and updated the CBM to check they were displaying OK, which they were. When I was ready to stop for the day I did a "Check for Errors" and all the fields I had just added changed colour from red to either blue or white on the CBM. The text description for each field on the CBM still displays the right numbered country however. The fld file has not been updated with the new fields I have added since I last edited it. This seems to be causing a mismatch between the icon colour which uses the fld file and the text description which uses the oba file.

Btw it may very well be that adding fields makes the field display incorrect. Normally we don't set field ownership until all fields are placed. I'll try to duplicate your situation. Also sounds like a right click on the map to set field / zone would be use full.

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #273 on: November 24, 2015, 02:51:55 PM »
Now I know what updates on the map and what doesn't each time I create a field the information on the TE map is a handy error check. It is nice to be able to see at a glance that there is a field with the wrong zone or two fields with the same number. However I think that anyone new to the TE will find it confusing that not everything on the map updates at the same time when you add a field, with the text and icon colours giving conflicting info. A map update button would be a worthwhile improvement.

I'm still not sure why the TE reassigned the zone values I had set for my fields to match the map icon colours, it has not done it since but then I have been updating the fld file manually.

I was doing some offline testing in a Storch and noticed an odd problem. One of my 2 mile square V fields is rotated 180 degrees. Whenever I up here using the west spawn I almost immediately get a "you have crashed" message and am dumped back to the tower. The other two spawns work OK and the same east spawn on an unrotated 2 mile V field works OK too. This is using the European summer terrain set.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #274 on: November 24, 2015, 03:15:24 PM »
Now I know what updates on the map and what doesn't each time I create a field the information on the TE map is a handy error check. It is nice to be able to see at a glance that there is a field with the wrong zone or two fields with the same number. However I think that anyone new to the TE will find it confusing that not everything on the map updates at the same time when you add a field, with the text and icon colours giving conflicting info. A map update button would be a worthwhile improvement.

I'm still not sure why the TE reassigned the zone values I had set for my fields to match the map icon colours, it has not done it since but then I have been updating the fld file manually.

I was doing some offline testing in a Storch and noticed an odd problem. One of my 2 mile square V fields is rotated 180 degrees. Whenever I up here using the west spawn I almost immediately get a "you have crashed" message and am dumped back to the tower. The other two spawns work OK and the same east spawn on an unrotated 2 mile V field works OK too. This is using the European summer terrain set.

I'll need the terrain to find that issue, I made a change to a similar occurrence in one of the last few releases.

Also has anyone checked air spawns in this release?

HiTech 

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #275 on: November 24, 2015, 03:23:18 PM »
Yes, airspawns are working
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #276 on: November 24, 2015, 04:22:22 PM »
I have uploaded the current res and source files to the ftp server. They are in the greebo/bearpit folder and the rotated field with the dodgy west spawn is V100.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #277 on: November 25, 2015, 09:41:32 AM »
I have uploaded the current res and source files to the ftp server. They are in the greebo/bearpit folder and the rotated field with the dodgy west spawn is V100.

Launching west from v100 works for me?

Just double checking that you are running the current beta release?

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #278 on: November 25, 2015, 11:42:41 AM »
I'm not sure what is going on then, I am using the latest patch. Every time I launch a Storch from the west spawn of a reversed 2-mile V field the game drops the plane to the ground but within a few seconds it takes me back to the tower with a "you have crashed" message. I have tried this with several fields.

Rotating V fields isn't something I am intending to do anyway, apart from anything else it looks a bit odd having upside-down Panther icons on the game CBM.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 11:47:05 AM by Greebo »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #279 on: November 25, 2015, 11:48:38 AM »
I'm not sure what is going on then, I am using the latest patch. Every time I launch a Storch from the west spawn of a reversed 2-mile V field the game drops the plane to the ground but within a few seconds it takes me back to the tower with a "you have crashed" message. I have tried this with several fields.

Rotating V fields isn't something I am intending to do anyway, apart from anything else it looks a bit odd having upside-down Panther icons on the game CBM.

I didn't build the terrain,I assume the .res file field was rotated?

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #280 on: November 25, 2015, 12:24:34 PM »
Yes I checked it in-game just before I uploaded the terrain. Also the SP would have been east if the field was unrotated and V100's panther icon should be upside-down.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #281 on: November 25, 2015, 04:53:37 PM »

Also has anyone checked air spawns in this release?

HiTech

Red arrow fighter and yellow arrow bomber airspawns both work. Don't see anything that looks like a PT entry point object.

Did an entry point for a soft gun outside of the small airfield single tile and got an aplaha.exe error when trying to choose manned guns in the hanger. This terrain will never be for online use. Is there a programmatically introduced exclusion or just an HTC MA rule to not add additional manned guns other than shore batteries to the terrains?

I was hoping to add a 37mm on the mesa I placed a GV spawn for practicing with mobile flack against drones. Would be nice to set an 88 on the tank firing range line which would also allow for setting an 88 beyond 2.5k from the circling drones.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #282 on: November 25, 2015, 09:42:02 PM »
Once I laid down a soft gun object with a soft gun tag I had my active 37mm, 17lb and 88mm gun objects selectable from the hanger. Now I can shoot at drones passing over at realistic short distances similar to an airfield attack.

What is the object name for the PT spawn object? When I tried SHIP I got a CV ICON instead of a PT spawn.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #283 on: November 26, 2015, 01:41:44 AM »
The object name for any spawn point is entpnt, just set the Object Type to Boat Entry for a PT spawn. If you are placing more than one SP from any field set the SPs' ID tags to a different number for each, so 0 for the first, 1 for the second and so on. The 0-tagged SP will appear as the "H" button in the game. Also rotate the arrow on each SP to match its direction from the host field.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #284 on: November 28, 2015, 03:48:34 PM »
Greebo and Easycore, Thank you for validating my fiascos and the lessons learned. I will send anyone who asks me about terrains to you guys.

I have not been able to blow any thing up recently other than by trying to turn guns not programed for setting on the ground as man able gun positions on my mesa. The game alpha.exe errors when I tried going into the hanger until I deleted all of those objects.

Guess I cannot place the auto ack quad 20mm down as a man able object or the Naval quad 40mm and single 20mm on dry land. Suppose the 5inch is out the question also.....

PT spawns work for me now and are purple arrows in the TE. Looks like if I only have one, no matter what direction I rotate the arrow, the default spawn button will be north.

I believe I've gotten the hang of this thing using only it's native tools. I'll leave the gray scale elevation files and geo survey files for the experts. Everything else seems to work as you get the hang of the program's rationale.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing