Author Topic: Terrain Editor  (Read 23920 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Terrain Editor
« Reply #300 on: December 07, 2015, 03:44:06 PM »
I make them group masters and no, I thought I had to prep the space. I have seen first hand setting the elevation manually is the way to go. Saves me a lot of time now......
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #301 on: December 10, 2015, 02:26:01 PM »
My observations and suggestions to terrain builders:

For all intents and purposes, the resolution of everything in the new terrain engine is at 660', or 201 meters. This affects elevation, water and ground texture mapping.

A square of 660' in the terrain is made of two right triangles with their mutual hypotenuse running from NW to SE. This impacts ridgelines to a minor degree, but the biggest impact is on the placement of water and shorelines. So long as these factors are kept in mind, a 1320' wide channel can be drawn either NS or EW. A very narrow channel may be drawn from NW to SE but drawing a narrow channel from the NE to the SW is problematic and probably to be avoided. Fortunately, the new rivers under development should solve most if not all of these problems.

The resolution for ground textures match the 660' resolution, meaning a 660' square is the smallest bit of a texture you can draw, and they will bleed-blend into some of the surrounding 330' spaces.

As previously mentioned, the tiles in each Atlas are currently drawn in sequence, meaning there can be a band of every terrain type between adjoining textures. This can be mitigated within texture sets. See jpg's.

If placing textures Atlas 0 Type 0 next to Atlas 0 Type 15, there is normally 15 intervening bands of texture crowded into a 330' border, but if the texture in Atlas 1 Type 16 (currently farm) is neutral to all or most of the textures in Atlas 0, then any intervening bands can disappear. By neutral, I mean reasonably bare grassland for example.

When a 660' band of Atlas 1 Type 16 is placed between Atlas 0 Type 0 and Atlas 0 Type 15, the only band will be for the Atlas 1 Type 16 and if it's neutral, it will blend in with both Atlas 0 textures without the 15 intervening borders.

This works in reverse as well. If Atlas 0 Type 0 (currently beach sand) is neutral, it can be used to blend between two Atlas 1 types. Again, see the jpg examples.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #302 on: December 10, 2015, 03:19:47 PM »
As previously mentioned, the tiles in each Atlas are currently drawn in sequence, meaning there can be a band of every terrain type between adjoining textures.

Anyone know why it does this?  Why doesn't it just blend between texture 0 and texture 15 without going through the other intervening 13?  When satellite based land cover datasets are used to select terrain texture it's going to guarantee this banding will occur.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #303 on: December 10, 2015, 03:50:33 PM »
Since I'm taking the default dimensions for creating the CB map file, and I only have one small island about 4 x 9 miles. Is there a way to make the map so the single island shows up huge with a smaller amount of ocean? Otherwise the icons are so large you have to use zoom to see a GV base on the north end of the island which is covered up by the airfield icon. Or are the available resolutions only related to the amount of pixel detail the bitmap will have on it?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #304 on: December 10, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »
Since I'm taking the default dimensions for creating the CB map file, and I only have one small island about 4 x 9 miles. Is there a way to make the map so the single island shows up huge with a smaller amount of ocean? Otherwise the icons are so large you have to use zoom to see a GV base on the north end of the island which is covered up by the airfield icon. Or are the available resolutions only related to the amount of pixel detail the bitmap will have on it?

Terrian settings / map size.

IF you wish smaller the 64 edit the mdm file directly, but stay a power of 2 so you could go 32 or 16

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #305 on: December 10, 2015, 05:54:26 PM »
Will give it a shot.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #306 on: December 17, 2015, 05:36:19 PM »
I understand the var file in the chconfig folder for offline settings differences to the environment. The objects time and bomb pounds file with the dod extension. Will that always have to be manually loaded from the objects arena setup offline each time you open a terrain you made those changes to? Or, do I need to move it to the same location under chconfig from ah3terr that the var file is located for the given terrain?

If this last is not the case and it will always be a manual load from ah3terr. Any chance of changing it to work like the var file?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #307 on: December 18, 2015, 08:44:07 AM »
I understand the var file in the chconfig folder for offline settings differences to the environment. The objects time and bomb pounds file with the dod extension. Will that always have to be manually loaded from the objects arena setup offline each time you open a terrain you made those changes to? Or, do I need to move it to the same location under chconfig from ah3terr that the var file is located for the given terrain?

If this last is not the case and it will always be a manual load from ah3terr. Any chance of changing it to work like the var file?

It has to be loaded every time.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #308 on: December 18, 2015, 12:24:36 PM »
Ok.....
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #309 on: December 18, 2015, 01:35:48 PM »
So the auto guns and manned guns are destroyable by an AP round from the Flack36 88mm. Right now all of the tanks I've set on my ranges and in the two Hogan's Alleys equal the stripped shells the Army and Marines set out on ranges. When you hit them with AP, you get a nice feed back hit explosion. If I can tag them as a gun and give them their equivalent percentage of a 1000lb bomb damage from the game, that might be a tad bit more useful to a new player. 

1. - From the objects time down and 1000lb bomb setting. What would be a bomb setting to equal say killing the following:
wirble\osti
M3\M16\M8
M4
Firefly
Panzer
Panther
TigerI
TigerII
T34 1943
T34 85

2. - Can anyone tell me the guns these equate to in the game? Yes a few are obvious, I'm being thorough.

Auto Gun
Gun Bat Soft
Gun Bat Armor
Hard Auto Gun
Armored Auto Gun
Hard Gun Bat
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #310 on: December 18, 2015, 04:38:07 PM »
Something weird has happened with the TE map generator in patch 88. The map on the left from patch 87 is the same map as the map from patch 88. Perhaps I should try re-downloading the alpha from scratch, maybe my install has got corrupted somewhere down the line.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #311 on: December 18, 2015, 05:01:46 PM »
I duplicated the issue greebo.

HiTech

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #312 on: December 20, 2015, 08:36:21 PM »
Patch 88 - Object Editor

When using the OE to export to ac3d, the OE expects the folder "export" to already exist and won't create a new one. The export will fail for lack of the export folder.

If the user creates a new "export" folder, then the follow on exports succeed. I'm in the habit of renaming the "export" folder after each export to keep all the files together. I actually wish a new folder would be created inside the "export" folder for each object exported.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #313 on: December 21, 2015, 04:46:27 PM »
I want to verify that Speedtree TREES/tree species.srt objects be available later for building square tile objects?
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #314 on: December 21, 2015, 04:56:56 PM »
I want to verify that Speedtree TREES/tree species.srt objects be available later for building square tile objects?

I can't seem to find that object, what terrset is it in?

The SPACE in the name has me confused.

HiTEch