Author Topic: Questions for HTC (HiTech/Pyro)  (Read 10250 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Questions for HTC (HiTech/Pyro)
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2015, 09:51:27 PM »
I started playing around late 2009. I have more hours in aces high than I'm happy to admit.

Also having downloaded and made my own soundpacks I can say with certainty that it still lacks very far behind most games. I mean we still don't have proper idle engine sounds (someone said this is too hard to implement, mean while arma 2 implements it very well) also lets not forget plane engine positions being incorrect in a 3D space (p39 engine sounds like its from the front, not rear). Also its impossible to get a Hi Fi sound system by only having "engine" sounds. Currently sound pack makers must mix super charger, turbo charger, prop noise, all into the engine sound.

Also 50 cents a day is honestly silly if you don't play during that day. I suggest a system where you would only pay when you played.

Also, I've seen better conduct on the call of duty forums, its honestly saddening. Look already there is rule #4's being thrown around in this thread. Any sort of argument always turns into personal attacks here, and believe it or not that drives a lot of people away.

funny you talk about sounds.  today 3 times I was able to avoid being picked from behing because I heard the airplane behind me before I looked and thus was able to avoid it.  and oh yeah found a tank by sound only as he wasnt moving but had engine on.  just by turning my airplane engine off for 3 seconds.

I dont know I guess i must be the exception to the sounds.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2015, 10:23:13 PM »
In most cases they don't.
but here in this case do they?

Not trying to create an argument, but want honest answer.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:26:29 PM by JOACH1M »
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2015, 10:45:01 PM »
I've made nor make no claims on knowing what's best for the game.  I don't care as much about any other players opinions or ideas, I'm interested in hearing/reading them of course, but what I truly care about ---

I just want to know what HTC's thoughts and opinions, and most importantly PLANS are in regards to their product, and considering the OP of this thread, I'm not the only one.  Not even being given a time frame for answers to very relevant questions by many different members, but a flat out "not discussing it on the forum"...this is what I can't understand.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:10:06 PM by Gman »

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2015, 11:42:41 PM »
I do beleive the questions are quite pertinent. .
If an online reporter rang up HTC HQ 'S and said he was doing a review of online games and could HTC fill the gaps..
I'm sure HiTech would not give such a brush off and use the situation to his advantage..eg plug the game and elaborate on the current situation to put the game in favorable light.
I feel that Kazaa asked what most of us feel and would like to ask.
surely keeping your player base involved and informed has benifical effects.
we are not the enemy we are friends.
just my 2 pence worth with the deepest of respect.
<<S>> JimmyC

CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2015, 01:00:35 AM »
  I, too, would like to see more direct posts from Hitech and company.  But I understand why they don't post more often.  It seems that every time Hitech says something in the forums, several people jump in and tell him he's doing it wrong.  Even if the OP was seeking a sincere and honest discussion, any response from Hitech would probably get a very negative response, no matter how right he is.

I remember a couple years ago someone suggested that the players get together and buy the company from Hitech, and then tell him how to run it, since he obviously doesn't know what he's doing.  And then people wonder why we don't see Hitech in the forums more often.

In spite of my lack of skill, and my tendency to hit the ground, and other people's bullets,  I still find it hard to believe sometimes that I get to have this much fun for only $14.95 a month.

:salute Hitech
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2015, 01:24:25 AM »

Even in this case, AH is no special case. 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2015, 01:34:30 AM »

joachim, I am curious do you want to hear an honest answer or an answer that you want to agree with?  please answer honestly.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2015, 05:47:01 AM »
Traditionally for games and other software the model was to keep everything top-secret.  I know I worked in software development shops for years (still do).  With regard to the competition "loose lips sink ships" was POUNDED into me.  I respect AH for there past decision and privacy in this area.  It was the culture.

The times have changed.  Now it is common to have companies fully engaged with the owners, i.e. customers.  Weekly video updates from the product manager are common (Star Citizen, Steam based games, etc.).  New gen gamers are used to a much higher level of communications from most of the companies out there.

This being said...maybe AH could meet us in the middle.  A formal monthly news\announcement\update on the web page on the same day each month would be great.  Not all of us have to time join the alpha\beta to know what going on.

Thanks AH.  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2015, 06:24:13 AM »
funny you talk about sounds.  today 3 times I was able to avoid being picked from behing because I heard the airplane behind me before I looked and thus was able to avoid it.  and oh yeah found a tank by sound only as he wasnt moving but had engine on.  just by turning my airplane engine off for 3 seconds.

I dont know I guess i must be the exception to the sounds.

semp
Ok? How does this have anything to do with Hi Fi? Infact it shows how bad the sound system is if you can hear another plan while yours is running. 3D positioning is good in the 3rd person (hear other people around you) but in the first person its broken.

Also, what do new players think (who obviously don't have custom sounds installed) when they hear that farting noise we get now that is supposed to sound like an engine start up? They see bad graphics and hear bad sounds, not very good when you're trying to sell a game.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:27:27 AM by olds442 »
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2015, 06:31:46 AM »
joachim, I am curious do you want to hear an honest answer or an answer that you want to agree with?  please answer honestly.

semp
Id like to hear both, but you can't always have your cake and eat it... :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:59:07 AM by JOACH1M »
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2015, 07:00:25 AM »
Every time I log in at 5pm I normally find decent size fights.

Yes, the game experiences can differe alot just alone on your location and at what time you are able to log in.
Since I hardly can play at late night / early morning anymore (=US primetime), my situation is often more like this:

Screenshot taken a few minuts ago in the Late War arena. Yes, late war not MW. I'm waiting for the first day we have a country with 0 players online ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2015, 07:09:54 AM »
Yes, the game experiences can differe alot just alone on your location and at what time you are able to log in.
Since I hardly can play at late night / early morning anymore (=US primetime), my situation is often more like this:

(Image removed from quote.)

Screenshot taken a few minuts ago in the Late War arena. Yes, late war not MW. I'm waiting for the first day we have a country with 0 players online ;)

I see your point.

If those players were mapped into a smaller zone or would agree to fight from the same bases to encourage a fight, it would still be fun and everyone would have a good time. If that many players were on a smog8 map, it would be glorious amounts of fun.

The fact that it's a huge map and some may be bombing or tanking and there is no clear direct communication. I'm sure game play would seem stale if you cannot find anyone in the air.

Perhaps you could private message some people on there to see if you can spark a fight in certain fields on the map. That way maybe a small furball could happen. Idk what to tell you lol.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:11:48 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2015, 08:51:24 AM »
To the original post.....

Effectively it was asking for the business marketing model goals going forward.

I still return in such debates to the 4P's (Price,Product,Place,Promotion) as quite often discussion gets dragged down one of them and indeed ends up focussing on just a few elements of one of them whilst ignoring needs and opportunities elsewhere.

Price
The debate has ranged above re payment mechanisms. There are many and indeed subscription is not the only model or indeed the "best". I think that the only caveat one would warn against is a payment model that then affects the product or access to the whole of the product in a manner that is detrimental to the features of the product we are trying to market.

Product.
Well we are all here, paying for the product, we have found the product and we know how to access it and using it so actually ( for us) the product ( and its further development) is our main area of interest.

The Product is actually "Fun" accessed thru a WWII online air (and ground) combat simulation. In this respect my opinion is in line with AkAK's. Game play is all!. Graphics etc form the back drop and provide an important contribution but must never play 2nd to the actual game play experience. Access to game play is equally important. The balance between the journey to combat and the euphoria of combat (or what ever the mission climax is) is as critical to shaping the perfect gameplay model as is the quality of the combat when it is achieved.

Place.
There is only one place to access AH. It is via a PC through to a HTC server. Kazaa suggests some other portals or services but many of these really promote Promotional needs rather than adding real place alternatives. I suppose the ultimate Place would be entry to game play via a plethora of platforms. I would suppose the investment to achieve this to have a significant effect on Price above.

Promotion
There is none (IMO) other than Word of Mouth as far as non US markets are concerned. I do not know what happens in the US. Word of Mouth can be powerful but Kazaa is correct in as much as it brings on a somewhat underground feel when we consider it as a promotional tool for a MMOG. If the product, place and price are right and sales are not where they should be..... then Promotion is the only remaining tool.

HTC has data which would help balance the above.

They know how many game down loads there are per annum
They know how many two weekers there are.
They know how many two weekers end up subscribing
They know how many subscribers stay on and ( on average) how long.
They know the annual cycle of subscribers
They know the effects of various upgrades on subscription.

There is still stuff they don't know and have to speculate about.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2015, 09:01:34 AM »
I've made nor make no claims on knowing what's best for the game.  I don't care as much about any other players opinions or ideas, I'm interested in hearing/reading them of course, but what I truly care about ---

I just want to know what HTC's thoughts and opinions, and most importantly PLANS are in regards to their product, and considering the OP of this thread, I'm not the only one.  Not even being given a time frame for answers to very relevant questions by many different members, but a flat out "not discussing it on the forum"...this is what I can't understand.
Is it fair to say then that perhaps given the response from the administration that it's a sensitive topic and that's been discussed time and time again?

I know I've seen the Steam comment in about a half dozen threads over the past couple of years.  But is the problem simpler? Is the problem twofold?

First - back in late 90's early 2000's, we had several mediums in which the programmers could interact with - combat simulation enthusiast websites (i.e. Combatsim/Simhq) which would speak to developers about their product, and where it's headed.  Is it now that those sites are not as active anymore with the decline of the combat sims that they've lost their voice?

Second...and that programmers who are also men have a double whammy.  Programmers by nature are very reclusive and introverted and not great at public speaking.  Plus, that Dale and Doug - well, they are programmers and dudes - let's admit it - all men suck at communicating (at least according to our wives. :))

:D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:03:19 AM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2015, 09:38:50 AM »

Second...and that programmers who are also men have a double whammy.  Programmers by nature are very reclusive and introverted and not great at public speaking.  Plus, that Dale and Doug - well, they are programmers and dudes - let's admit it - all men suck at communicating (at least according to our wives. :))

:D

This.... The supporting idea that I have is that Hitech nor Skuzzy are really sales or marketing type guys. They are analyst and coaders. I am an analyst who is good with numbers. You wouldn't see me in the sales and marketing department nor would I want to be in the coading or engineering department. With that said, many CEOs have not been able to grow their business fully because they cannot exploit many traits of business by themselves.  EI. Trying to be the marketing department when that isn't your best trait. You'd benefit more if you just hired someone who was a professional marketer/ or commercial AD maker. I'm not busting on anyone here, or trying to bring anyone down, becuase I certainly don't have the coading expertise like Hitech. I'm just saying that ignoring those parts of business because it isn't the strong suit of your personality is dampening to the business model.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion