Author Topic: A-320 crash  (Read 3439 times)

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
Re: A-320 crash
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2015, 08:14:26 PM »
I think that with a little push this would already be achievable.

Not really no. The technology isn't mature enough for people to trust in it yet. It will be the military (as usual) who will use this technology first. After the next major conflict when these autonomous combat aircraft fly better than human pilots and kill all the right people and none of the wrong people, then... Then perhaps.

No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2015, 08:17:46 PM »
When I was a kid planes had 3 crew members.  Dropped for cost reasons.

Technology arrived so that the plane only needed 2 people. A happy consequence (for the companies) is that it saved them the cost of the 3rd crew member.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2015, 08:19:15 PM »
More potential lunatics in the cockpit isn't necessarily a good thing. FedEx 705 comes to mind.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2015, 08:33:53 PM »
Autonomous flight with paying passengers isn't going to happen for a very long time.

One of the key components (imho), weather detection, isn't up to par yet. Particularly above the freezing level. Radar cannot detect dry ice.  Dry ice exists in the tops of thunderstorms, currently with the latest update to the aircraft weather radars they're using algorithms to predict cloud tops and so far its about a 50/50 success rate. So if a radar doesn't see the top of the thunderstorm, it will let the plane fly through it resulting in very unhappy passengers (at the least). You can say, well they'll fix that, which is true, but they've been trying very hard the last 20 years, it will be another 20 before they get close.

You'll see driverless cars before pilotless planes performing public transport.
Raw Prawns      

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2015, 08:44:01 PM »
If I'm on a plane and there is an accident, systems failure, or one or all of the engines eats some birds I'll take a real life pilot over a piece of software any day of the week.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2015, 08:48:48 PM »
Then I've got good news for you! If you're ever in a plane crash/accident chances are that it is because of the pilot! Yay! Pilot error has been the leading cause of commercial airline accidents by a wide margin for many years.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2015, 08:50:48 PM »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »
I've been told those anti-depressants don't really cure you and in most cases make things worse.

Which - if true (and I don't pretend to know) - is the flaw in this argument.

- oldman

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2015, 10:20:43 PM »
Then I've got good news for you! If you're ever in a plane crash/accident chances are that it is because of the pilot! Yay! Pilot error has been the leading cause of commercial airline accidents by a wide margin for many years.

A vicious circle. The engineering and redundancy of todays aeroplanes is of a very high standard, this leaves companies under the impression that they can train to standards that reflect the likelihood of a failure, this usual means to the minimum training laid out by the relevant government organisation.

Also with the explosion of the low cost airlines, there aren't enough experienced pilots to go around, so companies people with the bare minimum.  When I first joined an airline I was "lucky" as I had only 3000 hours, all my classmates had 5000hours. Now days people are in the right hand seat with 200 hours.

They now call it the "Startle Factor", with the combination of good equipment and low experience, when something does go wrong the pilots are "startled" which if it happens at the wrong time and place leads poor decisions and onto disaster. eg,  Tawain ATR, and AirAsia A320.
Raw Prawns      

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2015, 01:33:04 AM »
Autonomous flight with paying passengers isn't going to happen for a very long time.

One of the key components (imho), weather detection, isn't up to par yet. Particularly above the freezing level. Radar cannot detect dry ice.  Dry ice exists in the tops of thunderstorms, currently with the latest update to the aircraft weather radars they're using algorithms to predict cloud tops and so far its about a 50/50 success rate. So if a radar doesn't see the top of the thunderstorm, it will let the plane fly through it resulting in very unhappy passengers (at the least). You can say, well they'll fix that, which is true, but they've been trying very hard the last 20 years, it will be another 20 before they get close.

You'll see driverless cars before pilotless planes performing public transport.

There could be remote drone operators that could control the flight within safe pre-programmed flight parameters though. I'm 100% sure it would be achievable if they really wanted. Of course emergency situations would remain the problem. Electrical failure or similar would be very hard to control remotely.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:36:01 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2015, 06:24:26 AM »
You could establish an insurance fund to pay the salary (some portion of) of pilots judged to have mental health problems.  It could be very similar to long term disability coverage that some companies provide their employees today.  Current plans are not too expensive, but here in the US most do not cover mental health and have a pre-existing clause.

Most commercial pilots working for an air carrier carry their own private insurance for continuation of salary should they lose their medical.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2015, 07:29:58 AM »
:airplane: I think I have finally got you figured out!!! with your attitude, you must be a frustrated FAA pilot examiner, who is pissed because everybody and everything is not perfect. I knew a guy like you once that was an examiner, the last we saw of him, he had bent over and kissed his a++ goodbye over a guy flunking a Lockheed Hudson check ride!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2015, 07:58:51 AM »
For the record, I do not agree with taking prescription drugs either. I also did not write this paragraph. The situation seemed relative.

Also, counciling and having a safe person to express your feelings to without disparagement  might be the way to go. Every person goes through psychological problems. A pilot who can express relief by talking to a counciler may be beneficial to their state of mind, which may help them keep a strong head while risking people's lives in the cockpit.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2015, 08:08:26 AM »
Lol Earl. No. :)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member