Author Topic: Bomb Activation  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Alucard_II

• Zinc Member
Bomb Activation
« on: March 31, 2015, 03:36:44 PM »
Allie here  :t

So far on the wishlist, all I've asked for was new things. Some of you disagree with my wishes, some of you agree. Thats fine. New stuff can be scary. But its ONE thing in this game that doesnt get me going more and I would LOVE to see change, the Bomb Activation.

In AH, a bomb has to fall 1000(feet or kms, idk) before it activates. If it doesnt fall 1000(ft/km) then it wont explode and will just hit the ground with a dud. I HATE this feature, and I wish to see it change.

Im a ground attacker. I fly mainly stuff that is used to support our GVs. Such as the B-25, the Me410, and the IL-2. Stuff that can hit the enemy hard.
The B-25H doesnt have a bombsight, but it has a wide range of bombs that it can be fitted with. So you up a 25 with 12x100lbers, and you find a tank, and you COMPLETELY overshoot and miss the tank because you have absolutely no referance as to what your dropping at. Plus, you HAVE to be at 1000(km/ft). Thats hard to do with just the mk.1 eyeball.

Ive read that german attackers would fly just a couple hundred feet above the ground, then drop their bombs when the tank disappears under their prop. WHY cant we do that? Because we have to be in space to drop ours.

I just dont see the point of the minimum of a 1000(ft/km) drop height. I cant think of any use for it. All I want is there to be no drop height. Dive bombers can actually be more accurate, and us B-25 pilots dont miss and waste a ton of bombs on nothing but trees.
-Thanks, Alucard. :t
Happily confused and Insane.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
Re: Bomb Activation
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 04:14:39 PM »
Sits back and watches people kill themselves with bombs. Instead of it being a occasional laugh now we can have it all the time!
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 04:53:52 PM »
It's not the altitude, it's the travel distance that arms them. If you fly fast enough, you can drop bombs from well under 1,000 feet.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 05:00:16 PM »
It's not the altitude, it's the travel distance that arms them. If you fly fast enough, you can drop bombs from well under 1,000 feet.

I blew myself up in one of the AH races because of this. LOL
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 07:01:17 PM »
Practice flinging them, it works.
Pies not kicks.

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 12:49:14 PM »
If you drop a bomb too low, the detination can blow you up also. In Viet Nam the Marines used Snake Eye fins which retarded the decent allowing the jet to get away before the explosion. However we don't have these fins in WW II. (I think the Navy and Air Force used them some also.)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 01:10:53 PM »
But parafrags were invented and used against the japanese in the pacific.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 02:19:29 PM »
But parafrags were invented and used against the japanese in the pacific.

I would LOVE to have parafrags. :x
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »
Yes, parafrags were used on medium bombers, I think.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 06:06:58 PM »
I suppose you have never researched how fighters and medium bombers in ww2 made low level attacks. Rockets were found to drop really short if the fighter was not minimum 300mph IA. Similar for low level bomb attacks. The FW units in question got up to speed as I referenced 300.

Low level bombing attacks with medium bombers started from 1500-2000ft. Diving down to 800 and leveling to achieve speed. Then when you release just as the target passes under your nose, the bomb will travel near your target. It was never considered pin point but, area damaging. Rockets were not pinpoint munitions. In the MA very often we are too impatient to setup bomb runs to achieve attack speeds.

You are expecting way more than the technology could even deliver in WW2.

You can test all of this offline. I found with the A20 pushing the gunsight ring down to the bottom of the windscreen gave a very good release point during offline testing with the dive bombing sight turned on.

Covering your unwillingness to research the technology and practice offline by accusing players of being afraid of change, is more indicative of something lacking in the OP's willingness to expend effort.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 06:18:10 PM »

didnt you give a class about how to drop bombs from like 200 feet?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 12:30:26 PM »
The reason I have read there is a 1000 foot travel requirement is the WWII bomb fuse was hooked to a propeller on the front  or rear of the bomb. The propeller was there to keep the bomb from being "armed" until after it was released. 

If the bomb hits before the fuse has time to arm (1000 feet it what it takes in the game), it won't go off.  Make sense? 

BTW, if you got your wish, you would die to your own bomb's blast more than you would like, and would wish your wish didn't come true.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 03:16:19 PM »
When did Hitech change it from 800ft?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 04:30:31 PM »
When did Hitech change it from 800ft?
I have always heard 1000, but since the documentation on the game is non-existent, it's hard to say.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 06:14:27 PM »
The fuse can be set for a number of delays. My job was ordnance on the F-4 B Phantom (1967-1971 USMC). The fuse could be set for different delays depending on the situation. I believe HTC uses 1000 ft as a default setting so to speak.