Author Topic: Quantum Computer  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Quantum Computer
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 06:10:31 PM »
I always found quantum mechanics very interesting because it is so different from normal human experience.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 06:16:34 PM »
+1.
Its really fun and sometimes mind blowing. If i had the time i would go back to the university and read some theoretical physics.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 06:23:28 PM »
Best thing with quantum computers is that they will be able to transfer data so fast that we no longer will have to complain about the AH collision model  :banana:
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »
It will be so fast both aircraft will get the collision message before they lifted off their runways
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 09:51:26 PM »
There is something that absolutely does travel faster than the speed of light.  Not a joke like "bad news".  Can you tell me what it is that we know travels faster than the speed of light?  (There could be other things too that we do not know about but this one we do)

Information can also travel faster than the speed of light, though it has never been observed to do so.

Ignore all of that, I'm an idiot.

Information is something that I still don't fully understand. After looking it up, information can't travel faster than light. Anything other than information can.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:56:31 PM by Dragon Tamer »

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 12:40:15 AM »
The Universe after the Big Bang  :devil
Not really.
The leading theory is that the universe experienced a short period of inflation that stretched its size faster than the speed of light. However, nothing traveled anywhere since it was space itself that was stretched.

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 04:27:38 AM »
Not really.
The leading theory is that the universe experienced a short period of inflation that stretched its size faster than the speed of light. However, nothing traveled anywhere since it was space itself that was stretched.

Excatly. The space itself has no limitation. It can expand faster than the speed of light and u can also bend or shrink it. So u can reach places milions of lightyears away much faster by shrinking the spacetime between u and your destination.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 07:22:33 AM »
Information can also travel faster than the speed of light, though it has never been observed to do so.

Ignore all of that, I'm an idiot.

Information is something that I still don't fully understand. After looking it up, information can't travel faster than light. Anything other than information can.

Structured information cannot travel faster

However negligable information can... It's the question of can this negligable information be manipulated to form a structured code. "Like 1's and 0's"
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 09:12:25 AM »
The answer is: nothing moves faster than speed of light except stupidity. That's why only really simple information can be transferred.  :banana:
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline oldskool65

• Copper Member
Of course I'm right I'm British

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 11:38:01 AM »
That article is from 2011 and their meassurements were wrong...

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
Excatly. The space itself has no limitation. It can expand faster than the speed of light and u can also bend or shrink it. So u can reach places milions of lightyears away much faster by shrinking the spacetime between u and your destination.
It happens naturally. If you travel from here to Alpha Centaury at 0.87 of the speed of light (Lorentz factor 2), you will find that from your point of view the distance you traveled was only half the distance you expected, and you made it there in half the time. However, the people waiting for you will argue that it actually took you the full length of time and it is simply your clock that runs too slow - or at least this is how it looked to them... For a particle traveling at the speed of light, the universe has zero length and it reaches its destination the moment it left on its way.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »
True but for an observer it take a lot of time and thats the problem if we want to go somewere and come back we cannot rely on that because even dough the crew on the space ship can do it the people on earth might not. But u can go to Apha centauri in a matters of days by shrinking the distance - compress the space in front of u and expand it behind u.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 02:58:21 PM »
Next thing you know Mr. Scott will realize you don't beam someone somewhere, you bring somewhere to someone and reconstruct him back from the digital copy buffer there.

The opposite of hitting a big bullet with a smaller bullet while riding a horse. So it will be a matter of scale whether you do it to a giant tin can between star systems or, one person first packaged into a digital copy buffer between buildings. I suspect it will be more like stepping through a door. Not sure you can exactly copy that unique spark called your consciousness.

In the end it will be due to learning to compress and expand space between star systems.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 03:09:08 PM »
The Star Trek transporter is not a digital anything. It's a matter-energy conversion process. Your matter is converted into pure energy, beamed across space and converted back into matter at the other end. The buffers are energy buffers or capacitors if you will that store your energy while you're being rematerialized, not digital information buffers.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.