Author Topic: Bf-109K4, love it or hate it?  (Read 11436 times)

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
Bf-109K4, love it or hate it?
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:40:27 AM »
Since my recent comeback to the game I've been flying a bit more the 109K4, and I do enjoy it a lot. Does anyone have any tips on flying torque-zilla?

I've found compression isn't as much of an issue as I'd thought, turning off combat trim and easing on the throttle lets you recover quite nicely. I'm still getting used to the taters, deflection shooting those potatos is an art I haven't mastered yet  :old:. I've heard that some people set the convergence to 150 on the MK108, is it useful? I've tried it but haven't had more success than with my standard 350 convergence (I use the same on all planes).

In contrast, the Luftwaffe used to set the convergence at 400m for both the MK108 and MG131 cowl guns.

So what's it good at? Besides going fast, of course  :bolt:
Started from the bottom...still at the bottom.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
Re: Bf-109K4, love it or hate it?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 04:06:54 AM »
I set convergence to 400 on all rides with nose mounted guns. It's a good average for most guns.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 09:49:33 AM »
K4 is fun. But i fly the g14 mainly to farm perkies :old:
See Rule #4

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 10:24:58 AM »
I mostly fly the 109F because it's the best one, and a perk farmer to boot.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »
Tips from someone who has flown it for 6 years, training grizz to be a monster, helped sunsfan become a monster and was the king of slow during my prime. I brag I brag, but listen up.

1. Fly it about 12 K, no point in going higher unless you are in FSO. Sometimes not even that high.  You can't dive much so you have to spiral dive anyway to pounce on low con's. 12k is a good alt to keep the hi and low con's in check. The plane is one of the best defensive fighters in the game so don't worry about hi P51s or 190s diving you. You can typically avoid them and they will fly away.

2. Don't fly it like a BnZ plane and don't fly it like a turn plane. It is neither, it is a slash attack plane. Make quick pass attempts as close to your opponent as you can. You have to get in close, make a shot, and get away from the rest of the enemies.

3. Learn defensive ACM If you want to be successful in the K4. The plane lloves when the enemy overshoots and sets you up for a nice 30mm 200 yards away to the face. The whole key to the 109 is to set up attacks so that the enemy plane crosses your gunsight 100-300K away. You will have better luck making quick snap shots than you will trying to make lead shots (like how you would shoot a P51 is not the same position you'd want to be in shooting the 109k, generally)

4. Most Importantly, learn to fight with vertical ACM maneuvers like emmilmans and split S. The plane excels in the vertical loops and this is how you create angles in order to make a quick deflection shot with the 30. Also learn to keep your E so that you can rope planes (very valid tactic with the K4 since it has a poweful engine. The K4 is all about creating angles. It is not an easy as a plane some would like you to think. Also to battle the tourque when you desperately have to turn right, cut your throttle (not engine) and use lots of right rudder and aileron to turn right. When you cut throttle it cuts the torque and helps you get over to the right.

Go to the DA or TA and duel people with it. This is the best way to learn the K4 as you will get in many fights like it in the MA. You have to be very aggressive with your attacks but don't get too slow right off the bat. The style of 109s is very aggressive, much like a bullshark. Get in, make the shot, and get out without burning too much E, but you have to use slash attacks to keep the enemy on their feet.

I'll post a nice 109K sortie when I get off work that you can watch, which will identify exactly what I'm talking about here and hopefully help you have better luck with it.

There are other advanced tricks the K4 can do but just practice with that first and then we will hget to the hard stuff.

Also, I set convergence at 400. The bullet is heavy and you already have to lead far, so if you make it too short you will have to lead even further than normal. 400 shoots pretty straight and is easier to see the bullet shoot.

P.S the spiral dive and spiral climb are your best friends in the 109s. Learn how to use them effectively!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 01:17:26 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 01:36:47 PM »
Thanks for the info, I'll put it to good use!  :aok

Could you tell me about those more advanced tricks?
Started from the bottom...still at the bottom.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 03:08:17 PM »
Thanks for the info, I'll put it to good use!  :aok

Could you tell me about those more advanced tricks?

Performing a Barrel roll defense. ( very important move for the 109 or any defensive techniques) I'd highly recommend learning this.

The right snap roll to get the plane turned right extra quickly (may kill your E or lose a lot of E though) but this trick is very nice.

Timing is everything.

Using the canopy bars as measures of when to pull the trigger

Using the power of the engine to out rope planes who blow all their E trying to kill you during the fight.  You scissor over the top, fly smoothly, and eventually they lose all their E while you gain some and then perform an emmilman over the top to get a shot. 109s are great at that.

Flying more aggressively rather than patiently while using the correct ACM in order to get the kill but not be stuck on the deck for you too get ganged after you get the kill.

The slash attack style in general is tough to learn because you have to be very cautious about your SA. Hopefully in the video I find later, it will show you a variety of these types of moves so that you can get kills effectively.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 01:00:33 PM »
Violator owned the summary of how to fly this thing. If you want I can post some films. I have a toejam load.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 02:56:04 PM »
I'm working on editing down a vid of Anarchy and I in K4s in a 7 or 8 v 2 ( v 1 for most if it as Anarchy got ganged early on).  :grin:

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 04:07:57 PM »
I'm working on editing down a vid of Anarchy and I in K4s in a 7 or 8 v 2 ( v 1 for most if it as Anarchy got ganged early on).  :grin:

You mean the sortie from the other week? I did horrible
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 04:09:42 PM »
Violator rocks the g14 the best i believe, Anarchy is good also in the 109k4.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 07:06:31 PM »
Violator rocks the g14 the best i believe, Anarchy is good also in the 109k4.

those 2 will rock anything they fly :cheers:

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »
Love it. Keep her fast and lose, be ready to change targets quickly as many will dive out on you and make pursuit imprudent.

Work the vertical as much as possible, if you get a Spit with a decent stick on your six, you're pretty screwed, so blow their wings off before that can happen.

Set the cannon for 150. Less vertical bias to deal with when shooting nose high or low (as you will do more and more often you fly the plane).

As long as you're not heavy on the trigger, those 65 rounds last longer than you would think, so don't be afraid to try for longer shots. You can't improve if you don't try.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 10:55:06 PM »
Love it. Keep her fast and lose, be ready to change targets quickly as many will dive out on you and make pursuit imprudent.

Work the vertical as much as possible, if you get a Spit with a decent stick on your six, you're pretty screwed, so blow their wings off before that can happen.

Set the cannon for 150. Less vertical bias to deal with when shooting nose high or low (as you will do more and more often you fly the plane).

As long as you're not heavy on the trigger, those 65 rounds last longer than you would think, so don't be afraid to try for longer shots. You can't improve if you don't try.

109 can out fight the Spit.
See Rule #4

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »
109 can out fight the Spit.

Typical "Mr Know it all" bs.

Take any 109 you want and go against Bruv. The only fights you'd win would be IF Bruv makes a mistake.

Now against the normal  rabble  in the MA, ya a good 109 stick would beat most spits. That is only because  the majority  of the players  are rather poor fighter jocks, not due to the planes.