Author Topic: No Radar BS  (Read 6444 times)

Offline tuton25

• Nickel Member
Re: No Radar BS
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 04:04:35 PM »
   This is a valid complaint, Hi-Tek has acknowledged the problem and I belive it will be fixed in the new release.

I don't remember his exact words, and I don't feel like going and looking for them right now. But many players were saying what an easy fix it would be, and Dale responed with something like "If it was an easy fix, I would have fixed it already" there was also mention that it was due to a Default setting, and would have to be changed everytime the Map reset.

I forget the entire conversation, but it was enough of an explanation to make me stop squeaking about it and wait for the update.

If I remember correctly, Bustr said that all the strat down times are tied together. So if he dropped the dt/hardness for the HQ, it would change the dt for all the other factories as well. The reason it isn't fixed is because there is a fatal flaw in the programming....
><))))*> Da Fish is in Da Fight

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 04:17:48 PM »
If I remember correctly, Bustr said that all the strat down times are tied together. So if he dropped the dt/hardness for the HQ, it would change the dt for all the other factories as well.

The HQ is a separate object with separate hardness & downtime settings. Changing the hardness or the basic downtime of the HQ doesn't affect any other object.

What factories and the HQ do have in common is the influence of the City, which can add up to two hours of downtime to all of them.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 05:59:45 PM »
I log in to combat other players.. not resupply a HQ.  The only thing dumber is having guys opt out of defending a base,  only because they know they can swarm it with m3s to resupply.  The only thing dumber than both of these above mentioned tactics, is the fact latewar run monster planes fly around unperked.  Talk about promoting combat!!   :headscratch:

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 06:25:57 PM »
I'm lucky if I get 10 to 15 hours a month to play usually every other weekend or I just get to be able to play one weekend a month and the last thing I want to do when I log in is spend the next half hour or hour resupplying if it wasn't for my squadmates I wouldn't even be playing at all i'd just uninstall the game and cancel my account just that quick
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 06:38:51 PM by 68ZooM »
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 06:32:56 PM »
Tazz, HiTech explained why he hasn't done anything. It is not out of indifference but the difficulty with the game as it is. I would imagine with all the whining (myself included) it will be gone with the new release.

As for why people keep doing it in the early AM, I guess its because they don't think of how lame it is for others or they don't care. Its a target that probably grows in appeal when very few people are online. All you can do is ignore it and if your country does it just tell them its lame, not argue with them just tell them its lame and leave it at that.
Pies not kicks.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 06:34:26 PM »
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 06:37:41 PM »
The only thing dumber than both of these above mentioned tactics, is the fact latewar run monster planes fly around unperked.  Talk about promoting combat!!   :headscratch:

That's... why it's called the Late War Main Arena. They have other arenas available that have no LW planes available, should you want to limit all players' from flying them.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 06:44:11 PM »
That's... why it's called the Late War Main Arena. They have other arenas available that have no LW planes available, should you want to limit all players' from flying them.

I believe when these arenas were split is when numbers started dropping from 700 in the MA, to 300.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 07:07:12 PM »
Just because some people don't like a VALID part of gameplay doesn't mean that there is anything wrong or broken. it means that they have a problem accepting life as it is. Nothing needs to be changed. Get your friends/squadmates and resupply the danged HQ. It's kind of like in REAL war, bombing factories hurt the whole war effort, and taking down HQ is a VALID way of doing that.

If one guy can knock it out then one guys should be able to resupply it. Or if it takes 5 guys 20 minutes to repair it then it should take 5 guys to take it out.

I'm sorry, but we don't want to play your way any more, we'd like it to be just a bit more fair/even.

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 07:08:48 PM »
I never understood the hatred towards dar droppers.   All you have to do is communicate on where the action is and leave it at that.   If you rely on dar 24/7, then you are doing it wrong.

I care less about radar.  I see people going in full smash just to pork the most worthless strat on a base and auger and laugh and laugh and laugh.

HQ Droppers:  For the most part all you are doing is chasing away new players.  Keep in mind you are showing recent subscribers to the door by dropping HQ because (and look at the top of the roster sometime and just take a peek at how few new members we keep as regular subscribers) they aren't staying. 
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 07:24:06 PM »
Taking out the Spitfire factory in AW was not the reason why the game was eventually shut down by EA, nor did it cause players to close their accounts.

Amen AKAK!   The problem is not with the game. I wish there were a way I could cut and paste this so I wouldn't have to explain this

to the Teeny Boppers as much as I have.  It is the way the game is played.  The players effect and make the game play not the game itself.

There are many options in the game in which you can choose to play.  As stated a billion times before it is your dime, play as you wish.

The players have the responsibility, it is not the game design.  If the dar is down do what the WWII combatants did, fight anyway.  No dar in their aircraft

unless in a late war night fighter or pathfinder bombers.  Suck it up and fight your way out of the hole!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:26:36 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2015, 07:42:08 PM »
Just because some people don't like a VALID part of gameplay doesn't mean that there is anything wrong or broken. it means that they have a problem accepting life as it is. Nothing needs to be changed. Get your friends/squadmates and resupply the danged HQ. It's kind of like in REAL war, bombing factories hurt the whole war effort, and taking down HQ is a VALID way of doing that.

It may vey well be a "VALID" part of gameplay. but it has reached the point where that "VALID" game play is detrimental to the game as a whole.

People. Myself included have complained about various changes to gameplay that werent liked. What people do not realise is as often as not it is the players themselves who forced a good deal of changes because of abuse of "VALID" gameplay.

Example of something that I was a part of.

Ever wonder why you can only reduce ful to 75%?

I'll tell you exactly why
Many years ago myself and the squad I was in used to go around porking fuel back in the days what you could pork fuel down to 25%.

Now this was a great and very effective "VALID" tactic for stopping a horde. But used to abuse it was detrimental to gameplay. As often as not wherever we saw enemy upping from. We porked fuel. Sometimes we'd make a point of porking fuel at all the front line bases. Why? because we at that time felt it was a good way of giving our side the advantage no matter if it was a needed (or wanted) one or not.

We took just as the Radar deal is now. What was a "VALID" tactic and abused it to the point where HTC was forced to make the change for the greater good of the game.

I cant read the mind of HT or HTC. but I wouldnt at all be surprised to see major changes to the HQ situation. Changes you probably wont like. Because it has become a detriment to the game And just like use with the fuel. You will only have yourself to blame. Because just because you can do something. Doesnt always mean you should.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2015, 07:44:47 PM »

On a huge map like tagma, with much less than 20 active players per side and no real battles to speak of, no DAR has a massive impact on gameplay. Just like yesterday when I hopped between three flashing bases but never could find out what actually made them flash.

This very same thing happened to me the other night.

I just said the hell with it and logged off
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2015, 07:48:34 PM »
I look at it this way, bombing factory targets and headquarters, is there is there to simulate strategic warfare. In aceshigh you bomb factories to disrupt the ability to rebuild key infrastructures such as ordnance, towns, AAA guns and fuel. Headquarters are a command-and-control facility, as part of strategic warfare in the real world you bomb them to disrupt the ability of your opposition to command-and-control his forces. Here in aces high we simulate this by removing the radar. Without radar you can't see forces is coming at you and it disrupts your ability to react to them. For the most part the system works, if the strategic warfare part of this game is disrupting your ability to engage in combat that's what it's supposed to do. Personally I'd love to see a more detailed strategic warfare in the upcoming updates. But what we have suffices.

The biggest problem we run into with Aceshigh is trying to mix win the war type players with furballer. I think the two sides would get along a lot better if shooting down a plane had an effect on the war. I say this because, about the only planes worth shooting down to the war type is one's carrying bombs.... bombs have an effect on the war. Shooting down planes... very little. Why?......... because  airbases and tank bases never run out of equipment. No matter how many of them you shoot down or bomb. No matter how many tons of bombs you put on a base it's always going to have equipment. Killing fighters is almost meaningless. We can stop them from taking off, but for only 15 minutes. Of all the things that I hope are going to be fixed with the next version of aces high, this is very high on my list. But I'm pretty sure I'm in a very small minority to think this part of the game is truly the most broken part of it.

CAVALRY
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2015, 07:51:32 PM »
The cries about taking down the HQ remind me of the whines from AW when the Spitfire factory would be taken down and players couldn't take off in their beloved Spitfire IX.

Very major difference. Taking spit factory down only effected spit drivers. Not every players was a spit driver.
HQ effects an entire side.

Also even with low numbers. No spit factory run was ever a milkrun. The maps were small enough that they always got noticed well in advance. Here with the huge maps. All one has to do is skirt the action by a couple of secotors and they never get noticed untill it is too late to do much about them

I personally would love to see a return to plane/GV specific destroyable factories

I also think that HQ should require nothing short of a large mission with multiple targets that need to be taken down to completely destroy
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty