Author Topic: Cecil killed with a bow and arrow  (Read 8741 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Re: Cecil killed with a bow and arrow
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2015, 09:49:45 PM »
CNN and fox news got ahold of some of the guy's previous trophy hunt photos, and showed them.  They didn't condemn him for being a trophy hunter, but I think any large scale organized support for the guy pretty much vanished with the display of those photos and the revelation that his next trophy goal was apparently an elephant.  The guy's a hard-core trophy hunter at a time where pretty much all the trophy animals he shot are endangered and considered far more valuable alive than mounted on some rich dude's wall or stuffed on display in his "hey I'm a HUNTER MAN!" man-cave.

Basically the image being built of this guy is that he has lived a life of self-absorbed egotism satisfied only by killing trophy animals for fun, at least some of which are critically endangered.  Legal or not, I don't think many "globally aware" people have any sympathy for his current troubles and "regular folk" won't have any trouble dismissing him as a rich jerk who thought he could get away with anything by throwing money at it and claiming he was misled or whatever.

Seriously, who goes after a lion with a bow and arrow, for fun?  What a tool.  And people trusted him to put his hands in their mouth while they were sedated, without realizing that in his world it was all about him...  Ick.  Wouldn't surprise me if people start digging and find other situations where he pretty much thought he was above the law or could do anything he wanted.  That sort of ego doesn't usually limit itself to one vice.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2015, 01:32:21 AM »
Living in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St Paul I've been watching this story closely on the local news.  I was actually surprised when it went national and then learned it had turned into an international story.

People have hunted since the beginning.  Like every animal we have to eat.  Fortunately we have the ability to exist either carnivorously or as vegetarians and, most likely due to physical merits, males became hunters and females became gatherers. 

As society grew we became farmers.  This allowed the feeding of large populations and reduced the need to hunt.  Men became the "bread winners" while women continued to gather (shop), rear children and handle domestic duties just as they had.

Farming grew to include both potions of our diets; meat and vegetables/fruits.  We farm all types of animals to feed the worlds population; cows, pigs, chicken, turkey, fish, etc.  Thank God for farmers!  I like meat and don't have time to hunt for my own.

As farming grew the instinct to hunt remained.  You can easily see this any day in your office, at home or walking down the street.  Have you ever wondered why women walk so loudly while men don't?  The instinctive gatherer in women taught them to make noise to scare predators away while the instinct to hunt in men taught them to remain as quiet as possible.

Some people made the transition from hunter to worker easily.  In others the instinct to hunt remained strong.  Some hunt to supplement other food sources, or to provide foods which aren't readily available commercially.  Others hunt strictly for sport.  Some hunt for sport veiled by the use of the animal they hunted.

I grew up in far northern MN where hunting was practiced by most males beginning at an early age.  I remember seeing pictures of big game hunters in Africa with their kills.  They were glorified.  I saw a lot more pictures of locals with theirs; deer, bear, fish, partridge, etc.  Growing up, every lodge was adorned with deer heads, racks and mounted fish (they still are).  Back then there were a lot of animals in the world and not much regulation.  I remember killing a couple of innocent animals at about 8 years old with my .22 (which I still have).  I felt so bad I gave up hunting but don't blame anyone else for their enjoyment of the sport.  Fishing never bothered me nor did seeing the mounted heads at the lodge.

Bow hunting is taking it to a whole other level.  My oldest brother was an avid, if unsuccessful, deer bow hunter.  Just before hunting season started we'd have deer all over the open fields around my parent's home.  I used to be able to get the fawns to come lick salt out of my hand.  A few days before deer hunting season opened all the deer would disappear.  Animals have instincts and they aren't dumb.

So I see this story about a big game hunter in Africa who evidently paid his money to hunt a lion with a bow and arrow claiming he thought everything about the hunt was legal and proper.  I see the clips of people protesting outside his business.  I can even sympathize a little with the woman lamenting that the money she's paid him went to support this activity, although I suppose if she tracked every dollar she spent and where it ended up she'd be much more distraught.

Next I see he had a felony charge for killing a bear in WI outside the regulated hunting zone, which combined with the charge of luring this particular lion off the preserve begins to illustrate a pattern of offense.  If this was a collared animal that only makes things worse.  Today I see that Zimbabwe has initiated extradition while at the same time seeing that the local parties involved were released on $1000 bail.

I don't have any problem with this guy wanting to go big game hunting.  I do have a problem if he wittingly did something outside the law and his background points to the possibility, although once this story reached the level it did every bit of dirt that can be uncovered on this guy will be and none of what he's ever done positive will be.  I don't have a problem with his clients deciding to move their business but I do have a problem with false accusations and threats.  I do have a problem with him being forced out of business before all the facts are on the table and the issue has been decided legally, not because of his livelihood, but because of the livelihoods of his employees.

A story?  Sure.  An international flashpoint?  Give me a break.  It's one man who may be a bit unscrupulous and one lion who was evidently beloved because he was old.

This has been blown WAY out of proportion.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2015, 03:38:15 AM »
This is what happens when you give everyone a trophy for "participating" and then also present every animal as if it is cute and cuddly. I do not like the way this lion was treated, I mean it's just one step away from domestic being protected, and named, and all that, but I would love to see any one of these reporters stand up to a lion with just a bow and arrow. I realize this guy had guides with rifles covering him (maybe that's one thing that should come to an end), but it still takes major cojones.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2015, 05:35:30 AM »
CNN and fox news got ahold of some of the guy's previous trophy hunt photos, and showed them.  They didn't condemn him for being a trophy hunter, but I think any large scale organized support for the guy pretty much vanished with the display of those photos and the revelation that his next trophy goal was apparently an elephant.  The guy's a hard-core trophy hunter at a time where pretty much all the trophy animals he shot are endangered and considered far more valuable alive than mounted on some rich dude's wall or stuffed on display in his "hey I'm a HUNTER MAN!" man-cave.

Basically the image being built of this guy is that he has lived a life of self-absorbed egotism satisfied only by killing trophy animals for fun, at least some of which are critically endangered.  Legal or not, I don't think many "globally aware" people have any sympathy for his current troubles and "regular folk" won't have any trouble dismissing him as a rich jerk who thought he could get away with anything by throwing money at it and claiming he was misled or whatever.

Seriously, who goes after a lion with a bow and arrow, for fun?  What a tool.  And people trusted him to put his hands in their mouth while they were sedated, without realizing that in his world it was all about him...  Ick.  Wouldn't surprise me if people start digging and find other situations where he pretty much thought he was above the law or could do anything he wanted.  That sort of ego doesn't usually limit itself to one vice.

^^^^ Spot on   :old:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2015, 06:08:39 AM »
Living in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St Paul I've been watching this story closely on the local news.  I was actually surprised when it went national and then learned it had turned into an international story.

People have hunted since the beginning.  Like every animal we have to eat.  Fortunately we have the ability to exist either carnivorously or as vegetarians and, most likely due to physical merits, males became hunters and females became gatherers. 

As society grew we became farmers.  This allowed the feeding of large populations and reduced the need to hunt.  Men became the "bread winners" while women continued to gather (shop), rear children and handle domestic duties just as they had.

Farming grew to include both potions of our diets; meat and vegetables/fruits.  We farm all types of animals to feed the worlds population; cows, pigs, chicken, turkey, fish, etc.  Thank God for farmers!  I like meat and don't have time to hunt for my own.

As farming grew the instinct to hunt remained.  You can easily see this any day in your office, at home or walking down the street.  Have you ever wondered why women walk so loudly while men don't?  The instinctive gatherer in women taught them to make noise to scare predators away while the instinct to hunt in men taught them to remain as quiet as possible.

Some people made the transition from hunter to worker easily.  In others the instinct to hunt remained strong.  Some hunt to supplement other food sources, or to provide foods which aren't readily available commercially.  Others hunt strictly for sport.  Some hunt for sport veiled by the use of the animal they hunted.

I grew up in far northern MN where hunting was practiced by most males beginning at an early age.  I remember seeing pictures of big game hunters in Africa with their kills.  They were glorified.  I saw a lot more pictures of locals with theirs; deer, bear, fish, partridge, etc.  Growing up, every lodge was adorned with deer heads, racks and mounted fish (they still are).  Back then there were a lot of animals in the world and not much regulation.  I remember killing a couple of innocent animals at about 8 years old with my .22 (which I still have).  I felt so bad I gave up hunting but don't blame anyone else for their enjoyment of the sport.  Fishing never bothered me nor did seeing the mounted heads at the lodge.

Bow hunting is taking it to a whole other level.  My oldest brother was an avid, if unsuccessful, deer bow hunter.  Just before hunting season started we'd have deer all over the open fields around my parent's home.  I used to be able to get the fawns to come lick salt out of my hand.  A few days before deer hunting season opened all the deer would disappear.  Animals have instincts and they aren't dumb.

So I see this story about a big game hunter in Africa who evidently paid his money to hunt a lion with a bow and arrow claiming he thought everything about the hunt was legal and proper.  I see the clips of people protesting outside his business.  I can even sympathize a little with the woman lamenting that the money she's paid him went to support this activity, although I suppose if she tracked every dollar she spent and where it ended up she'd be much more distraught.

Next I see he had a felony charge for killing a bear in WI outside the regulated hunting zone, which combined with the charge of luring this particular lion off the preserve begins to illustrate a pattern of offense.  If this was a collared animal that only makes things worse.  Today I see that Zimbabwe has initiated extradition while at the same time seeing that the local parties involved were released on $1000 bail.

I don't have any problem with this guy wanting to go big game hunting.  I do have a problem if he wittingly did something outside the law and his background points to the possibility, although once this story reached the level it did every bit of dirt that can be uncovered on this guy will be and none of what he's ever done positive will be.  I don't have a problem with his clients deciding to move their business but I do have a problem with false accusations and threats.  I do have a problem with him being forced out of business before all the facts are on the table and the issue has been decided legally, not because of his livelihood, but because of the livelihoods of his employees.

A story?  Sure.  An international flashpoint?  Give me a break.  It's one man who may be a bit unscrupulous and one lion who was evidently beloved because he was old.

This has been blown WAY out of proportion.

Lots of paragraphs.....
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2015, 07:24:59 AM »
Poachers and relating to animals.   :confused:

This guy deserves what's coming to him.

I say we clone the lions and let them use California as a lion preserve. Then the people that like to hug these cute little animals can enjoy that practice personally.

..., poaching is a despicable crime ....

Reminded me of this:

:rock

...Now back to your regular scheduled cartoons.....
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2015, 10:41:48 AM »
Flying since tour 71.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2015, 11:03:06 AM »
Poachers and relating to animals.

So you think poaching is ok? Have you no respect for other peoples property?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 11:09:57 AM by PR3D4TOR »
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2015, 11:07:51 AM »
quality take on liberalism
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2015, 02:53:46 PM »
Another nonsense saying :old:

Everyone knows that dentist has done it before, he likes breaking the law because his mother bathed him until he 34 :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2015, 02:56:03 PM »

Wrong, its the female lions that do the hunt.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2015, 03:14:41 PM »
perfect society then,,  the woman gathers the food for her man!

Oh wait,, the feminista's find out about this and the males lions are all doomed!
Women's rights and all!  The dentist will now be hailed as a hero for women's rights!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:16:13 PM by WWhiskey »
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2015, 10:43:08 PM »
You are all thinking and commenting on what the Media wishes you to.

What's next?  I'll bet it's something that will bring advertising bucks!

I don't understand why the Media drives us instead of common sense.    GET SUM!  (common sense)

Believe me...........there are more important things in this world.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:45:22 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2015, 11:05:05 PM »

I guess they didnt get the memo. https://youtu.be/EjY_CSLUIiI
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2015, 11:14:54 PM »
Young male lions form gangs. They have to eat.