Author Topic: Windows 10 Pro "Update"  (Read 5770 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 10 Pro "Update"
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 03:17:30 PM »
If I had these issues when I first started using computers I probably would have become a field surveyor.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 03:25:32 PM »
If I had these issues when I first started using computers I probably would have become a field surveyor.

lol!
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 08:54:01 PM »
If you go there and are running any other operating system than Windows 10, it will prompt you at the bottom of the page that you are not running Windows 10 and are going to die bald headed if you do not upgrade!

Well,...I might have exaggerated than last bit. :D

Are you sure that message doesn't only appear if you are reading on a version of Windows that is upgradable (ie Win 7, 8, or 8.1)?  When I go there via Ubuntu it doesn't try to get me to get Windows 10.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 09:21:40 PM »
I have Windows 10, and it tells me that my free upgrade will be arriving soon.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 03:14:10 PM »

Thats why I became a Paramedic I hate it when computers don't work my way

But after reading this I am wondering if I want to upgrade to 10 or wait til they fix the bugs I just reserved mine today
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 04:56:22 PM »
I think if you want it for free you must update in the first 30 days.

The biggest problem I have with W10, is that Microsoft has changed the audio stack again.

EDIT: As of yesterday the Update path broke the ZxR Windows 8 fix, and Creative also released new drivers for the "Z," and "Zx". So, I will let you know. . .
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:48:21 PM by Chalenge »

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 09:22:12 PM »

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 08:28:05 AM »
how long does a neophyte like me, have to wait before I should go ahead with the install? As in the past with other upgrades I have relied on the wisdom and outright chest thumping available on this board to decide when to stick my toes in the water too. As I have been reading so far, wait is the definitive answer... is this looking like a long term wait or is there an event horizon that can be seen?
Am I correct in my reading so far... there will be problems for the word processor ability crowd? Guess where I fall in that category list....

Sitting back in the shadows and using the crap out of the computer savvy crowd...

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline AKQwik

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 12:52:55 PM »
I think if you want it for free you must update in the first 30 days.

I read the free upgrade is available for 12 months.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 01:13:24 PM »

I read the free upgrade is available for 12 months.
I have been in that belief, too.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 02:43:55 PM »
That is indeed correct, but once you install you have 30 days to decide if you want to keep W10 or return to your previous OS (according to the FAQ Bino linked to).

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 01:22:03 AM »
how long does a neophyte like me, have to wait before I should go ahead with the install? --
It depends. If you have Windows 7, it will be supported until January 2020. Windows 8 until Jan 2023. If you're happy with either, there's no necessity to change. And although Windows 10 will be supported until 2025, I bet your current computer won't last that long. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:31:19 AM by Bizman »
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 03:08:57 AM »
It depends. If you have Windows 7, it will be supported until January 2020. Windows 8 until Jan 2023. If you're happy with either, there's no necessity to change. And although Windows 10 will be supported until 2025, I bet your current computer won't last that long. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Fixed.  :aok

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 03:31:35 AM »

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2015, 03:06:12 PM »
I opened up 3DS Max and opened a race track scene that uses more than 16GB of memory. Windows 10 did not handle it well. It started off okay, but then W10 lost the program file-type associations, the Start Menu lost its appearance settings, and the rendering process slowed to about 10% of the initial speed. The system has 32GB, so this is a problem.