Author Topic: Windows 10 Pro "Update"  (Read 5768 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
Re: Windows 10 Pro "Update"
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2015, 04:42:55 PM »
surprised to see peeps being ms guinea pigs. I went thru this with w7, used it pre retail then got a 1st edition retail afterwards, however most hardware worked. I had to hold off on sp1 for a while tho. it borked me 1st time it tried for the update. now w7 so smooth that I could not accept the w10 upgrade offer. besides I still use only desktops, w8+ is for lappies and touch screens, none of which I use.

this thread just reminds me to wait and be patient. let others get mad at mS.
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 11:11:09 AM »
surprised to see peeps being ms guinea pigs.

It's the magic word "free"...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2015, 11:51:10 AM »
It's not really "free" when it costs you productivity.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2015, 11:58:47 AM »
It's not really "free" when it costs you productivity.
That's why it was inside quotation marks.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2015, 01:34:18 PM »
When are people going to figure out that free crap, is still just crap.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2015, 01:47:50 PM »
That's why it was inside quotation marks.

I figured that, Biz, just spelling it out. There is an upside to W10, so once they get it sorted out it will be "okay," as long as you don't mind being spied upon. Part of our life already, really, but it shouldn't be part of Microsoft's business plan.

At least Creative finally released ZxR drivers today.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2015, 02:03:58 PM »
When are people going to figure out that free crap, is still just crap.
A billion flies can't be wrong, crap must be good. Besides, this crap comes from Microsoft, whose boss is the well behaving neighborhood boy although he's a billionaire. Besides, the Government uses their products too, so that must be really good crap.

What bugs me the most is that Win10 has been launched as an important update. My customers have been surprised that their current operating systems will be supported for the next five or eight years without any need to upgrade. They seem to think it's the same thing as with XP only a year ago, this time with a backdoor.

For what I've seen and read, Win10 looks nice and smooth. Basically I have nothing against it apart of the privacy issues which I hope the European Union will take care of like they did with the browser choice. The teething troubles are something time will cure anyway.

Kotisivuni

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »
If you go there and are running any other operating system than Windows 10, it will prompt you at the bottom of the page that you are not running Windows 10 and are going to die bald headed if you do not upgrade!

Not much of a threat because that's what's going to happen anyway.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2015, 06:03:36 PM »
Personally I always wait until first service pack get released from any Windows version.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2015, 07:22:18 PM »
I can only speak to two versions. One is the Pro x64 (W10P) version, and the other is the Enterprise x64 version (W10E). W10E is a lot more stable for me, but I have heard of other complaints. The W10P version is much, much better for content creation with 3DS Max, Maya, and Mudbox (for me at least) and whether it is the extra memory or the OS itself I can break the 25 million poly limit (with 4k textures) and still hold with smooth scene rotations. With Windows 7 Ultimate x64 the poly limit was much lower. Obviously, this is not an apples to apples comparison, because of all the other programs installed, but the hardware is exactly the same.

In my case it's probably better that I didn't wait. Now that audio is working again (and following the patches that came in last night) I think all of the game breakers are fixed for me.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 06:06:28 PM »
Every time I get an update from MS (without fail) the SLI settings will be turned off and will need to be reactivated.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2015, 06:38:46 PM »
I can't even install Windows 10, updates fail and it rolls itself back to Windows 7.  Maybe I should take this as a sign and stay completely clear from Windows 10.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2015, 01:26:50 PM »
I haven't even gotten the upgrade notification on my laptop so I went to see why.  Evidently there's an update required but it requires me to turn on some MS sharing service.  I don't want to share.  That's why it's turned off in the first place.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2015, 08:57:54 PM »
I finally broke down and built a new machine after I was able to get Windows 10 to act somewhat stable. I installed Windows 10 Pro x64 fresh. Without trimming any processes I have 79 background processes plus 30 Windows processes running. Without a whole lot of trying I was able to trim that down to 48. Something in there is still causing AH to minimize while I am playing, so there is something else I need to seek out. Otherwise, it seems pretty good already. So, my conclusion is along the lines of something we already know, which is to say updating in place is going to leave problems in the system. All of those updates and old hardware devices that you are not even using will probably influence the update poorly, so if you are going to try to update in place I would reinstall Windows before you do. Even better, just update in place and then install fresh on a newly wiped drive, or new hard drive.

Things that are still bugging me include the fact that all other browsers are sluggish on startup. Edge, and IE are the fastest even on fresh installs of Pale Moon, so you know somethings going on there! BitLocker. Maybe it's good, but I don't like anything that isn't easy to turn off, and so far if there is an easy way I haven't found it.

Autodesk got my 3DS Max problems sorted out on Aug 11, so no more issues there either.

Even SLI is holding at this point, so I'm going to call it all good! It only took two weeks (hehe).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:05:55 PM by Chalenge »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2015, 07:26:30 AM »
Whats that old saying? Never drive or fly the model "A" of anything?

You kiddies can work all the bugs out with the latest greatest MS boondoggle. I'll get the windows that known to mostly work and wait for the newer version they finally get right. Which based on MS history should be around Windows 14 or something
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty