Author Topic: Windows 10 Pro "Update"  (Read 5770 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Re: Windows 10 Pro "Update"
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2015, 07:40:39 PM »
I think Creative labs had an upgrade for windows 10. Yep just checked. Thought I had upgraded. I didn't see an upgrade for my video card.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:44:57 PM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2015, 10:49:54 PM »
Windows 10 acts like Norton. It is both a worm and a virus at the same time. Long live Windows 7.
^100% correct.
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2015, 11:15:02 PM »
There's been so much talk about built in spyware its crazy, I have friends who say the PC got faster with 10..... I on the other hand I've seen it slow down, and this thing should run it just fine. Oh and Creative or ASUS needs a patch to fin the onboard sound for the Asus crossfire formula IV.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:16:43 PM by boxboy28 »
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »
There's been so much talk about built in spyware its crazy

If you read the Microsoft Privacy Statement thoroughly, you should be either scared or illiterate. The first chapter says they collect your first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number, passwords, password hints, age, gender, country and preferred language, interests and favorites, payment data (such as a credit card number), and the security code, the features you use, the items you purchase, the web pages you visit, and the search terms you enter, IP address, device identifiers, regional and language settings, data about the network, operating system, browser, contacts and relationships, location, the content of your documents, photos, music or video, the subject line and body of an email, text or other content of an instant message, audio and video recording of a video message, and audio recording and transcript of a voice message you receive or a text message you dictate, phone conversations or chat sessions with our representatives... This all is a direct quote from the first chapter.

The second chapter is even more frightening: They'll use the data mentioned above (1) to operate their business and provide (including improving and personalizing) the services we offer, (2) to send communications, including promotional communications, and (3) to display advertising. The two first ones are fairly acceptable, but the third one includes help selecting the ads Microsoft delivers - whether on our own services or on services offered by third parties. Who are they? Do I/you want them to know all the information mentioned above?

Then again, you're right about the craziness about the hype for spyware/adware. There's so much talk about all kinds of malware lurking everywhere that people really don't know what to think or do. They either get neurotic or unconcerned about it. The first group usually behaves in a way they'll most likely never catch anything, the latter group providing a free playground for all kind of foes.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2015, 09:26:41 PM »
I'm curious: what does "3) display advertising" mean in this context?  Where will MS display targeted advertising?  Why would an OS be displaying advertising?  This kind of annoys me.  I even consider the live tiles of Windows 8 (by necessity on my wife's laptop) to be advertising.  I mean why on Earth is there a tile on her desktop trying to get her interested in travel to Bali when she's just trying to get her stuff done?  Why do people not care about this?  Do you all consider it normal and proper for an Operating System (that I'd pay for since I'm coming from XP) to display advertising?  I must be strange or paranoid or something, but it just seems to me things are going in ugly directions.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2015, 04:57:33 AM »
Yes, very ugly. MS is advertising upgrades to products you have installed, Xbox games, and things like that on the start meny, which now has the tiles appearance. I consider the start menu to be a place I should never have to visit. I have the shortcuts to all my production software on the taskbar and AH shortcuts on the desktop. So,. . . what ads? If they start popping up on the desktop then MS is going to get fired.

I strongly suspect that there is commercial space available for a program to defeat the spyware and change the way the OS works, altogether. Someone had done that with the W8 kernel to make it more like the Star Trek LCARS system, which is great for touch screens (though it never was completely without a keyboard). I would love to see something like that for W10 that also gets rid of the spyware.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2015, 03:36:42 PM »
was a bit annoyed windows defender was set to auto run in the background but guess what it can be turned off... 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2015, 05:15:53 PM »
To turn off the Win 10 advertising I navigated to Settings... Privacy... General.

And then shut it all down.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2015, 08:24:44 AM »
Why should I PAY for an operating system that spams me and steals all my info for the express purpose of spamming me? I'm PAYING for it, so that I DON'T get spamware. Has MS given up entirely on the corporate market? No business in the world worth 2 dimes is going to move to Windows 10.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2015, 02:35:10 PM »
To turn off the Win 10 advertising I navigated to Settings... Privacy... General.

And then shut it all down.

A recent article on arstechnica.com claims that even when you turn off the settings, Windows 10 keeps sending data to MS.  Now it might not be your search terms or personal data, but there is no way to know as it is encrypted.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2015, 03:16:04 PM »
A recent article on arstechnica.com claims that even when you turn off the settings, Windows 10 keeps sending data to MS.  Now it might not be your search terms or personal data, but there is no way to know as it is encrypted.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

MS openly says when you install the OS that some data about your computer is sent to them. They don't say what kind or what it's specifically for, but that it will "help improve you widows experience" or something like that. If I remember, it's from doing a clean install that it says this... or rather has it as an option with certain presets. You can go through and manually control what programs have access during instillation, but I'm sure that there is some data still being sent.

For me personally, it doesn't bother me that much. I've never kept any of my personal data on the computer anyway. I've even allowed certain apps to have access to personal data (namely the search function).

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2015, 10:58:27 PM »
(including improving and personalizing)

God I hate this more than almost anything technology has ever delivered and I'm a marketing guy.

First of all variety is the spice of life.  Why would I ever want to be continually pigeon holed into the things I already like (until I hate them) with no broader exposure to things I might like?

Second if I'm doing a search for something out of curiosity (or even need) it doesn't suddenly make that one thing the only thing I ever want to see or know about again.

Marketers took a good idea and made it stupid.  Evidently they're dragging MS to their level.

Why should I PAY for an operating system that spams me and steals all my info for the express purpose of spamming me? I'm PAYING for it, so that I DON'T get spamware.

Really?  It seems everyone else in this thread got it free.

It's really hard to want MS to go is with an ad sponsored business model but if they become the kings of personal information gathering they'll control the purse strings of the world.

Napoleon, meet Bill Gates (legacy).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2015, 04:51:20 AM »
Another Windows 10 experience: The family had bit the bullet and everything seemed to work fine until a couple of days ago the input devices didn't work at login. Note that they both were original Asus USB devices having come with the computer some three years ago, so no compatibility issue there.

So I thought there was something in the Windows USB drivers since I could reach the EFI without issues and plugged in a PS-2 keyboard - luckily there was one combi-port for that, too! But again, no joy.

What to do? I started the computer three times, shutting it down right after the 10 logo appeared. After such violence the computer thought it would need some repairing and opened the Repair Screen. To my pleasure the input devices all worked there. I then navigated to the Troubleshoot->Advanced Options and chose to roll back to the previous system. Fine. I got stuck at the Restart screen, which stayed there about half an hour until I forced the computer to shut down. After starting it again the rollback procedure then ran through without issues.

I love Windows10, it brings me lots of money!  :t
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2015, 06:33:12 AM »
God I hate this more than almost anything technology has ever delivered and I'm a marketing guy.

Napoleon, meet Bill Gates (legacy).

Keep in mind Google makes their big money by selling information.  MS just wants a bigger piece of that cheese.