Author Topic: Large terrains should not be taken out of rotation.  (Read 3226 times)

Offline 49Dallas

• Copper Member
Large terrains should not be taken out of rotation.
« on: September 25, 2015, 03:27:14 PM »
It's one of the things that make this game so good, Such a large map. Some of the best maps are the large ones.   :mad:

Some people say that small maps are better because this game is dying, Has less players, And it's "hard to find a fight". I say use darbars and look for flashing bases. Even on large maps in the middle of the night with five guys on there are always fights, If there isn't one or you somehow can't find one then MAKE A FIGHT.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Large terrains should not be taken out of rotation.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 03:30:51 PM »
. Even on large maps in the middle of the night with five guys on there are always fights,

Not true

If there isn't one or you somehow can't find one then MAKE A FIGHT.

If it just were so easy for a single player...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 428CJ

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 04:41:49 PM »
  Two things that annoy me enough to think about quitting the game:

1. Small maps

2. HQ (country radar) being down

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 04:51:57 PM »
IMO the small maps are still large enough for people to hide in at low number times if they so desire.  Someone reupping 2 sectors away to avoid you isn't materially different from 6 sectors away.

Unless they restrict it to the point everybody's forced within a sector of one another, people are still able to hide effectively.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 05:08:01 PM »
IMO the small maps are still large enough for people to hide in at low number times if they so desire.  Someone reupping 2 sectors away to avoid you isn't materially different from 6 sectors away.

Sure.

But smaller frontlines concentrate the action somewhat. And at least you have a chance to fly to a different field if the center of activity moves around, and you often can even fly to a battle between the other two chesspieces.
During non US times, there's often just one single con in each 'active ' sector, each player hitting his own target of choice.

Offline 49Dallas

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 05:41:42 PM »
Not true

If it just were so easy for a single player...

Not true? Explain.

It IS easy, Fly to a base and there will be uppers, If not then hit dar, ords, make them want to defend the base.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »
Yes they should
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 05:51:42 PM »
Not true? Explain.

It IS easy, Fly to a base and there will be uppers, If not then hit dar, ords, make them want to defend the base.

Been there done that. (Don't forget that I am actually playing on those low times).
Maybe, when I'm lucky, I will get a single upper. In either case, they will quickly notice I'm not really a threat for a base

The problem is, when the frontlines are getting too long, players naturally tend to spread out. One player per sector. Occasionally several gather to grab a base, but if met with any resistance, they also tend to dissipate and try it elswhere, as there are so many potential targets. One of them MUST be unguarded.

But by they way, I have little doubt how this vote will end. I'd be very surprised if the majority would vote for "discard large maps".

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 06:15:38 PM »

Been there done that. (Don't forget that I am actually playing on those low times).

The dilemma is that what is good with few players is not the same as what is good with many players. I don't have an answer.

Can we get more non-US players on board?

Lusche/Snailman, is your baby old enough yet?
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 06:19:10 PM »
Personally I would like large maps to go for the same reasons Lusche does. Failing that I would like the map win rules altered so a smaller percentage of captured fields are needed for big maps. Just to the point where each big map averages roughly the same number of days up as each small one.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
The dilemma is that what is good with few players is not the same as what is good with many players. I don't have an answer.

We don't really have 'many' players anymore. The times where small maps could been way too crowded are long gone.
Remember, we did play on small maps exclusively with much higher player counts in the past.
Before the arena split (when we had a large & small mix) we could end up with like 600-700 on a small map during primetime (eeeek!). After the split, it was still 300-500 in each arena (and we had only small maps then). And about 90-100 during 'ebb time' in the most active arena (no caps at that time).
Today we have something like 30-220 players during the week.

But the vote won't be decided here in the forum. It's primetime US players who will decide.

Lusche/Snailman, is your baby old enough yet?

lol... 16 months now :)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:36:17 PM by Lusche »

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 06:32:24 PM »
With all due respect, there is no vote, players do not decide.  Present your arguments civilly because only one person will truly decide.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline 49Dallas

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 06:35:53 PM »
We don't really have 'many' players anymore. The times where small maps could been way too crowded are long gone.
Remember, we did play on small maps exclusively with much higher player counts in the past.
Before the arena split (when we had a large & small mix) we could end up with like 600-700 on a small map during primetime (eeeek!). After the split, it was still 300-500 in each arena (and we had only small maps then). And about 90-100 during 'ebb time' in the most active arena (no caps at that time).
Today we have something like 30-220 players during the week.

But the vote won't be decided here in the forum. It's primetime US players who will decide.

The majority is US primetime players. I've played extensively in the middle of the night when there are few players online and yes, People will just "go to other bases" but they can do the same with small maps. Even the smallest maps, With five people online you can go to another base or even fight another country. If people want to get away from other people they can, Easily.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 06:36:49 PM »
With all due respect, there is no vote, players do not decide.  Present your arguments civilly because only one person will truly decide.

There is, when you log into the game.

Offline 49Dallas

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 06:37:36 PM »

There is, when you log into the game.

It dosen't mean anything, Hitech will untimely decide.