Author Topic: Large terrains should not be taken out of rotation.  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
Re: Large terrains should not be taken out of rotation.
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2015, 11:15:17 PM »
Big maps are gon have to go. I like some like the compello map or FesterMA but when it gets down to most times of the day where numbers are below 150 it's best not to have them around.

I have no idea what Dallas means when he says there's a fight to be had with 5 players spread over a big map but I think a good thing to do is to keep new players by always having some action for them, because no one would think of playing a game that advertises action when it has none.

Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2015, 12:45:31 AM »
I fancy new maps
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2015, 12:52:11 AM »
snip -
I have no idea what Dallas means when he says there's a fight to be had with 5 players spread over a big map but I think a good thing to do is to keep new players by always having some action for them, because no one would think of playing a game that advertises action when it has none.

This made me remember my first month in AH. I was doing a tour in a P47, a D I think it was. I'm Pacific time, and this was whatever year is listed in my sig.
Anyway, I'd log in around 8 my time and every night and I was still playing past midnight. Five players would have been a horde when I finally gave up and went to bed each night.
I'd load up with bombs and try to prep a base for capture. It was good practice for when I could plink a Tiger II later. No opposition, right? Yeah, right! lol
I don't know where they'd come from, but some guy would always appear in a spit and send me back to the tower crying like a little girl. Keep in mind that I love my two little girls so it's not an insult to little boys either.
I stayed and saw the game grow to it's former peak and I have no doubt that it will attract new players and grow to the point you guys will start crying about too many dweebs ruining the game.
The furballer vs porker vs lack of coordination rants will be back, I have no doubt.

While I feel your pain with the lack of previous numbers, in the meantime, check out the new alpha version and your expectations will be lifted immensely. Truly, the Alpha puts all the current competing flight combat games to shame.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2015, 01:11:33 AM »
I haven't posted here in a while, but I'll post because of the current suggestion.  I voted "Yes" for the simple reason that there's not the playerbase to support large terrains anymore.  It sucks, but it's a simple fact of life.  Especially off hours, there's not a fight to be found, things are so spread out.

...that being said

Most of the small terrains are crap and old as hell, the terrain sucks and most things about them suck.  Grinder, Uterus and the Balkans are probably the 3 best maps currently out there for size, base placement and fun terrain.

My personal suggestion is to go to 2 teams and get some of the AvA maps in play that are awesome... open up the plane types to where I can launch a 109 off a CV if it's a water map so people don't feel put off... and maybe put a limiter on switching sides as such that if there's unbalanced sides you can switch to the lower side without waiting or penalty, but add maybe a switch 'queue' if you're trying to switch from the low side to the high side to win some easy perks for a map win... or better yet, just get rid of map win perks all together because they're garbage... or even go to a -50% perk bonus on top of current ENY if you decide to switch to the side with numbers that's effective for 1-4 hours maybe?

I personally don't know, but it's to the point that there's no real fights anymore.  If there is a fight, the fun police come in and bomb a base into submission, or the people just switch and go to somewhere else that's undefended.  As far as a combat simulator goes, I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of combat anymore.

:bolt:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline salt101

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2015, 01:20:40 AM »
totally agree Dallas. Large maps are my favorites, there is never a problem finding a fight if you want one. Every large map usually has a dedicated furballing spot. Small maps are largely only good for furballing, and not every AH'er is a furballer. Plus the constant HQ being dropped, no ords on fields etc are another problem with small maps. If large maps are taken out of rotation, I really doubt I would keep my subscription.
Salt,
The three most dangerous vehicles in AH are the C47, M3 and LVT

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2015, 01:24:44 AM »
Big maps are gon have to go. I like some like the compello map or FesterMA but when it gets down to most times of the day where numbers are below 150 it's best not to have them around.

I have to disagree with your main point but im not knocking you.

It's when numbers are below 150 when taking bases with low numbers is a blast. You have to be smart otherwise a 0-4 situation become a 1-20 slaughter. The only glory in sneaking a base is doing it 3-4-5 times in a row quickly. I have come to find the best time no matter what map happens to be playing is when numbers are under 150 :salute its my way of seeing a glass half full
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2015, 05:12:53 AM »
I have to disagree with your main point but im not knocking you.

It's when numbers are below 150 when taking bases with low numbers is a blast. You have to be smart otherwise a 0-4 situation become a 1-20 slaughter. The only glory in sneaking a base is doing it 3-4-5 times in a row quickly. I have come to find the best time no matter what map happens to be playing is when numbers are under 150 :salute its my way of seeing a glass half full

How is repeatedly sneaking bases (repeatedly avoiding a fight) any fun, let alone the most fun you have?

I can understand once in a while but if that's what really thrills you, try offline - all the bases are undefended.  Yippee!

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2015, 06:56:48 AM »
We need bigger mapz!  :old:  :)
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2015, 07:53:43 AM »
OK then lets see some of you guys make some new maps... I am in the process wwith the new terrain editor on making a small but rather fun map... ohh did I tell you its all ports and a small island cluster in the center for teh guys who want to furball ...

LAwnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2015, 08:08:19 AM »
Isn't the use of 'furball' as a thought-terminating cliché getting a bit old by now?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2015, 09:25:59 AM »
totally agree Dallas. Large maps are my favorites, there is never a problem finding a fight if you want one. Every large map usually has a dedicated furballing spot. Small maps are largely only good for furballing, and not every AH'er is a furballer. Plus the constant HQ being dropped, no ords on fields etc are another problem with small maps. If large maps are taken out of rotation, I really doubt I would keep my subscription.

WOW, cancel your subscription? Really?

I don't think anyone HTC is saying get rid of the large maps forever! While the numbers are low, concentrate the players on the small maps. Once AH3 is released and the new players start rolling in  :pray Im sure HTC will add in the large maps again, who knows maybe a reworked Trinity as well.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2015, 09:38:12 AM »
Isn't the use of 'furball' as a thought-terminating cliché getting a bit old by now?

Ya I think "terminology" might be an issue here.

When some people say fight, they mean furball, others mean a GV battle, others still, mean a base capture.

The game is suppose to be about using simulated WWII battle equipment against "live" players from around the globe in realtime action. It also gives players the option to avoid that action. That "other game" gives small battle areas in timed missions. Why? Because it gives quick action, NOT quick avoidance. If HTC wants to continue/grow then that is the way they are going to want to go.

Why do base capture players hate furballers? I love them, while they are busy capping a field a few of us can get in flatten a town and grab it. Why wouldn't you love to see the furball for at the base your attacking?

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2015, 10:16:01 AM »
And some of the people who complain about not being able to find a fight at off peak hours (on small or large maps) don't ever seem to be part of the fight when one does occur, so I'm not quite sure what to think about that.

Quoted for truth.

Some people like to take bases. Smaller, denser maps will make this more difficult.

Waiting for the "it should be difficult" arguments (from those who haven't put me on the ignore list.)

Not every player is an uber baby seal, lemming killer. Some newbies need some space to develop and have fun. New players are just as valuable as customers as crusty old forum warriors.

Sorry for the whining tangent. I still don't have the answer to our international comrades during their peak hours.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2015, 10:34:52 AM »
 I voted yes for the simple reasons A. It's difficult for a new player to find fights as it is. If the player base has a smaller area to fight in, it would be easier to find fights and have fun. B. The player base isn't as big as it use to be and somestimes there is a big fight on one side of the map and no action on the other. This isn't about only having 2 teams because I like 3 teams, there just isn't enough players to satisfy both sides with the player base currently. That being said, I think the base distance has a huge impact on the excitement as well. Even on a small map far bases can detour people from reupping, also making it difficult to defend from another base. Festers map is the only big map that works right now because the bases are close together and the base location brings all the game concepts together. The only thing I don't like is TT. The base location and distance even on a small map makes a big difference to the exciment and makes it a little more fast paced.

I hope there are another few small maps you could put in rotation as well so the current ones don't dry out. There are a ton of incredible maps in this game that hopefully we could utilize in the MA setting.

All in all I'm still having a good time but I don't fly in the off hours and I completely understand their sentiment having played this game for over 10 years.

:salute
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline subversive

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2015, 10:36:31 AM »

Ya I think "terminology" might be an issue here.

When some people say fight, they mean furball, others mean a GV battle, others still, mean a base capture.

The game is suppose to be about using simulated WWII battle equipment against "live" players from around the globe in realtime action. It also gives players the option to avoid that action. That "other game" gives small battle areas in timed missions. Why? Because it gives quick action, NOT quick avoidance. If HTC wants to continue/grow then that is the way they are going to want to go.

Why do base capture players hate furballers? I love them, while they are busy capping a field a few of us can get in flatten a town and grab it. Why wouldn't you love to see the furball for at the base your attacking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk