Author Topic: Stories from FL280...  (Read 34556 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Re: Stories from FL280...
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2016, 08:03:17 PM »
Cool, the girlfriend got to go for a ride. :devil

Looks like fun, I'm green with envy.

<S>

lol!!!

I wish I could sneak her in for a flight, but she got motion sick in a Cessna. She'd never hang on in this toejam lol.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2016, 09:04:41 AM »
Great pics
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #152 on: October 01, 2016, 12:41:14 PM »
 Great memories :aok
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2017, 06:47:33 AM »
I have returned, alive, from our detachment to the California desert. Not many pics, but I'll see what I can find.

So my wing spent the last month in El Centro CA for our Weps detachment. On the training schedule were bombing: manual (bore sight) and CCIP; ONAV (500 ft AGL and 360kts) and Road Recce ("how much damage can two dudes do once the SEAD rolls through?").

Manual bombing was a s*** show. I was the first wave, and weather was BAD. Clouds forced us low (we have 3 patterns, a 30 degree, for the best accuracy, flown at 8k AGL, a 20 degree no one does, and a 10 degree which gives the worst errors, at 2.5 AGL). Well, ALL of my manual flights were in the 10 degree for weather, and winds were gusting up to 50kts, so my scores were all around 130 (average distance from bullseye in feet). The second wave of guys got nice calm winds and good weather, so they had MUCH better scores. But my CCIP score was the best score of the Det at 17ft!

There was a class of Navy SEALs going through JTAC school, and the Navy decided that they should see what bombing attacks look like for the guys in the air, so they got back seat rides in our jets. It was HILLARIOUS. These dudes had their tridents, they'd seen some s***, so they walked in all stoic and serious. But once they got off the ground, they were like little kids, taking pictures of everything! When they landed, they couldn't stop smiling and talking about how cool it was. It makes you feel pretty aweso,e when a Navy SEAL can't stop talking about how badass your job is! Oh, and every one of them puked lol.

The ONAVs went both ways, depending on where your IP came from. Believe it or not, we DO have E2/C2 guys and even P-3 guys teaching us. The premise of ONAVs is a day one coordinated strike. You're sneaking in low to pop up and attack a target and get back out under the radar. Big wing guys wanted you AT 500 AGL, or slightly above, and at a CONSTANT 360kts, following the straight line planned route. If your LAW (Low Altitude Warning, based on the Radar Altimeter) went off, they wanted you announcing it, saying why it went off, and saying what you were doing to fix it ASAP. The strike guys were MUCH more fun. They wanted you lower, faster, they wanted you hiding behind mountains, sneaking low through valleys and using the terrain to mask your signature. If your LAW DIDNT go off from time to time, it meant you weren't being aggressive enough. And if you saw a highway with cars, you BETTER do some rolls over the cars. As one IP put it, "the most important part about being an Aviator is looking cool!" It was a LOT more fun with Strike guys. I'm glad I'm in this community!

Road Recces were two plane events, two students flying 3-4K theoretically flying over enemy airspace after the SAMs had been knocked out. We would fly over strategic targets, in theory gaining visual intel, but in practice you were supposed to be attacking targets of opportunity. We popped for simulated simultaneous rocket attacks on power plants, pumping stations, bridges and airports. Bonus points if you got a valid attack on a moving train. It was a lot of fun, and really emphasized just how terrifying an air wing could be if we were in a WWII type "kill anything that moves" scenario.

It was a GREAT time, and I'll try to get some pictures up when I get home. All that's left now is night formations, section low levels (only about 4 flights each), BFM and then the boat! I'm expecting my wings at the end of April!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2017, 07:02:55 AM »
Thanks for the sitrep. Your write-ups are fun reads.  :salute :cheers:

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2017, 07:18:46 AM »
Sounds pretty cool, looking fwd to any pics.  :aok
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2017, 07:35:29 AM »
I've got nothing better to do than upload from my phone right now lol.

We shared the field with some AH-1s

One broke down on the runway as we were leaving

The mornings were beautiful

The views up high weren't bad either (this was loose cruise! Lol. We DO fly much tighter when we're not just driving around)

This is our target from the 30 degree pattern  (8k AGL). Zoom WAY in on the center and you can see it, smoke from an impact and all.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:40:08 AM by Serenity »

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2017, 08:08:26 AM »
And as of this morning, I have a boat date! I should be taking my first trap on the boat on March 19th!

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2017, 08:11:36 AM »
And as of this morning, I have a boat date! I should be taking my first trap on the boat on March 19th!

Awesome!
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2017, 09:15:57 AM »
WTG!  :aok
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2017, 11:53:56 AM »
Great read.

You are going to make a heck of a drone pilot one day.

:rofl

Classic. 

:rofl
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »
What's the A-6 sitting next to the Fire Dept for? Fire Training?

Can you get a profile picture of it?
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #162 on: February 06, 2017, 09:15:19 PM »
What a great adventure you're on!  Thanks for sharing the memories. 

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #163 on: February 07, 2017, 08:23:04 AM »
Could be south of you, but more likely it's north of you. Foley Alabama is what we call Area 1 and the South MOA. Just east of Foley is NOLF Barin, where students fly their first 4 flights. Slightly higher up (7k up to 26k) we do aerobatics.

Foley is a cool place to retire. My retired-Marine brother lives there, and it's close to a lot of fun things: fishing, swimming, camping, laying about on the most gorgeous beaches, and great food. When I retire I may join him there.

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #164 on: February 07, 2017, 09:03:39 AM »

:aok  :aok

you  :rock !
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman