Author Topic: My "This game has become junk" rant.  (Read 18695 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: My "This game has become junk" rant.
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2015, 06:05:32 PM »
All this complaining and I'm over here getting like 50 kills. :banana:

Right now in the MA. Be there.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Bellator

• Copper Member
« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2015, 07:26:20 PM »
Some of the maps play a big part in too. Fester's map with that funnel down single base narrow front really makes it stink.
Let's give each side 20 players logged on. The Bish get banged form both sides. The odds are two to one no matter which way you go and given the map you you only have those two choices. Geee! you think they know were coming? Maybe they won't know where were going. There's no strategy in this. 20 Rooks will be at Rook NOE 15k waiting on you. The rotten thing is the Bish can't take a base to broaden the front and open opportunities. And the Rooks and Knight won't take a base because it would mess up their vulch fest. So the map just lays there kicking dying.
I think somebody commented the number of Bish just sitting in the tower. Of course their sitting in t he tower they can't get off the runway.
It's better for us to just give the you the map and move on to the next one. But they'er so stuck on getting a score they can't even do that. I like a good fight as much as the next guy but I'm not going to keep trying to up on a vulched runway just to feed someones ego.
Not whining about it. It is what is is. I know what alt-f4 is too.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2015, 07:45:49 PM »
Some of the maps play a big part in too. Fester's map with that funnel down single base narrow front really makes it stink.
Let's give each side 20 players logged on. The Bish get banged form both sides. The odds are two to one no matter which way you go and given the map you you only have those two choices. Geee! you think they know were coming? Maybe they won't know where were going. There's no strategy in this. 20 Rooks will be at Rook NOE 15k waiting on you. The rotten thing is the Bish can't take a base to broaden the front and open opportunities. And the Rooks and Knight won't take a base because it would mess up their vulch fest. So the map just lays there kicking dying.
I think somebody commented the number of Bish just sitting in the tower. Of course their sitting in t he tower they can't get off the runway.
It's better for us to just give the you the map and move on to the next one. But they'er so stuck on getting a score they can't even do that. I like a good fight as much as the next guy but I'm not going to keep trying to up on a vulched runway just to feed someones ego.
Not whining about it. It is what is is. I know what alt-f4 is too.

A. Take off at a different base and intercept the attackers from a higher alt.

B. Fly FSO if you want real strategy.

C. Fly KOTH tonight at 9 if you want to have a blast.

D.There are plenty of strategies you can employ to create fights or attack bases. You dont have to up at a vulched base. You can create kaos somewhere else. Both teams do not gang up on the bish and if they did that just gives you more opportunites to find fights. There is always an udefended base somewhere.

E. Create your own fun, dont worry about what your teams does all the time.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2015, 08:52:47 PM »
No. I fly Aces High now and face the current conditions :)
Then don't dis a solution that you know nothing about. It worked well.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2015, 09:36:38 PM »

it worked so well that a country was sometimes down to a single field and it was a never ending vulch fest.  limiting the number of planes available only affects the defenders.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2015, 10:01:53 PM »
All this complaining and I'm over here getting like 50 kills. :banana:

Right now in the MA. Be there.

Right now is US prime time, try the same thing EURO prime time.

Then I'll "dis" it. I flew AW until it was killed. It was a whole different animal. It was also a whole different type of player then. What worked then certainly NOT work now as we don't have the same players or conditions.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2015, 10:35:19 PM »
Then I'll "dis" it. I flew AW until it was killed. It was a whole different animal. It was also a whole different type of player then. What worked then certainly NOT work now as we don't have the same players or conditions.

No question that the player base was significantly different back then.  But AH has always been significantly different from AW, most noticeably (to me, at least) in AH's emphasis on land-grabbing and score competition.  That doesn't mean that RPM's suggestion wouldn't work in AH; so far as I can tell, it's never been tried here.

- oldman

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2015, 11:13:41 PM »
it worked so well that a country was sometimes down to a single field and it was a never ending vulch fest.  limiting the number of planes available only affects the defenders.

semp
As opposed to strats being porked and a never ending vulch fest from a horde...
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Badger85

• Copper Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2015, 12:09:57 AM »
I don't usually post anymore because I'm not a subscriber. But I did support AH from 2012-2014. I miss the fights I had with VF-17 and the guys there. I did leave primarily because I became more interested in civilian flight sims like FSX and X-Plane, but also because I didn't think the cost of AH is anywhere near justifiable for me at this point.

Looking at just the sim and not necessarily the community of AH (the latter of which is great), AH doesn't offer much these days compared to other games. "WT" (I'll use initials for other sims since the mods don't like competitive statements here, from what I understand) is a free alternative for those that want to get introduced to combat flight sims. "IL" is a series that better caters to the hardcore WW2 flight sim gamer that wants good squad-type gameplay. "DC" is best for the hardest-core realism gamer looking for dogfights with small number of players, though.

I honestly don't see where AH fits into this marketplace.** I never bought the whole "we have the longest object draw distance of any flight sim" argument that the developers here sometimes put forth. Honestly, who really cares about this? In a cost-benefit analysis, this is probably one of the lowest items on my list in terms of what I'm looking for in a combat flight sim. Sometimes the flight models in AH are praised compared to other sims. I don't know if this claim is substantiated, but even if it is, someone who actually would appreciate this is just as much turned off by the other cartoonish aspects of the game (simplified cockpits and world physics).

And here I'll end my yearly rant about AH. I say these things with the hope that I can one day be enticed to come back to AH, since I did enjoy the historic gameplay. But AH3 previews already look outdated to me, so I will continue to wait and check back on the site once every few months in case things drastically change.

** Edit Note: I don't mean there can't be a place for AH in the marketplace. But for $180/yr compared to other contemporary games' pricing structure (some of which are free), there is no justifiable value there for me at this current price point.

A pricing structure that would intuitively make sense to me (though I have not done any market analysis/projections on this or would necessarily know how to do so) would be to make the AH MA online arenas free for everyone, but make the historical scenario and AvA, etc. specialized arenas $5/mo or something. The real value of AH is in those latter arenas (where most people who have played AH for a long time have the most fun) but the free online MA would draw in a greater crowd that could feed into the paid subscription pool. Just an idea...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:26:56 AM by Badger85 »
ENS Badger85 (Reserves)
VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers" : http://www.thejollyrogers.net
Aviation Blog : http://abovegroundlevel.org

"We were the corsairs of the Pacific conflict, and I believe we were the last of the corsairs." -George Grider

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2015, 01:49:53 AM »

a) I know enough of AW to know that it was a combat environment significantly different from AH. Heck, even the current AH environment is significantly different from the one 10 years ago, on several levels.
A 'solution' that worked in a specific environment of a different game 20 years ago must not necessarily work in this game today.
b) You still not provided the details, i.e. how it should work in AH. in particular, what should be the numbers allowed from each field. So that we can actually can think how it would possibly influence the dynamics of the game.

Untill then I stand by my major critizism: AH is suffering already from a way too dispersed population all over the maps (esp the large ones) during most of the day.
As far as myself goes: I came here for dynamic battles, not duels.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2015, 04:55:30 AM »
I do not often chime in on topics like this because they usually degenerate into "it is crap" and "it is great" camps.

I fly almost exclusively in the time zones where there are between 90 and 30 players.  Usually 40.  Of those, 15 may be in flight.

Let's be clear.  I fly this game for fighter combat.  Nothing else.  I understand many of you like to GV or buff, it is not for me.

In my time zone the game is painful - boring even - for 90% of the time.  We have a player base that for some reason simply will not fight.  I am not sure if it is points / score / stats / ego..........

That is making the game crap for me.  Today I fought against a squad that shall remain nameless. <forum rules protect those that hurt the game>.  They were happy to vulch our field for 15 to 20 mins at about a 2 to 1 ratio.  When we broke out they had no fight in them at all.  I chased 2 of them for 15 mins.  Eventually I got 1 of them and the other got a proxy on me as the AA killed me trying to stop him landing his kills.

I asked on 200 if they were going to come back and play.  They logged off.

Hitech cannot solve this issue.  IMO the game is great.  The players decide on the fight they give and too many decide to not fight.  THAT is NOT the way to play a combat game.

Maybe remove stats / ranking.  Make it just about the game.  Dunno, just venting at poor gameplay that sees most of my deaths go to augers as I desperately search for a fight

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2015, 06:48:35 AM »
Regardless of how you like to play, there are few issues here that simply having more players in this game would not solve.  There would be something for everyone happening more of the time.

Sometimes objectivity can be lost to that fact.  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2015, 07:04:59 AM »
It's become painfully obvious that PLAYERS are at fault for the current state of AH.

The fix is ever so simple...

BAN ALL PLAYERS!  :banana: :old:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2015, 07:14:11 AM »
No, it's not just me. I see this night after night. The Bish do win a map now and then, I'm not saying they don't. But the regularity of getting strats pummeled and bases milkrunned has become the norm, especially in the overnight hours. When your ack stays down for an hour or more and you can only resup 10 minutes at a time, it's impossible when you're outnumbered and being hit on 2 fronts.

If I was a Knight, Rook or side jumper, I'd probably see no problems with it, too. Problem is I belong to a squad and we don't jump sides.

So you are saying your squad is the problem. Change squads. Some squads rotate or just change as needed.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2015, 07:24:34 AM »
I don't usually post anymore because I'm not a subscriber. But I did support AH from 2012-2014. I miss the fights I had with VF-17 and the guys there. I did leave primarily because I became more interested in civilian flight sims like FSX and X-Plane, but also because I didn't think the cost of AH is anywhere near justifiable for me at this point.

Looking at just the sim and not necessarily the community of AH (the latter of which is great), AH doesn't offer much these days compared to other games. "WT" (I'll use initials for other sims since the mods don't like competitive statements here, from what I understand) is a free alternative for those that want to get introduced to combat flight sims. "IL" is a series that better caters to the hardcore WW2 flight sim gamer that wants good squad-type gameplay. "DC" is best for the hardest-core realism gamer looking for dogfights with small number of players, though.

I honestly don't see where AH fits into this marketplace.** I never bought the whole "we have the longest object draw distance of any flight sim" argument that the developers here sometimes put forth. Honestly, who really cares about this? In a cost-benefit analysis, this is probably one of the lowest items on my list in terms of what I'm looking for in a combat flight sim. Sometimes the flight models in AH are praised compared to other sims. I don't know if this claim is substantiated, but even if it is, someone who actually would appreciate this is just as much turned off by the other cartoonish aspects of the game (simplified cockpits and world physics).

And here I'll end my yearly rant about AH. I say these things with the hope that I can one day be enticed to come back to AH, since I did enjoy the historic gameplay. But AH3 previews already look outdated to me, so I will continue to wait and check back on the site once every few months in case things drastically change.

** Edit Note: I don't mean there can't be a place for AH in the marketplace. But for $180/yr compared to other contemporary games' pricing structure (some of which are free), there is no justifiable value there for me at this current price point.

A pricing structure that would intuitively make sense to me (though I have not done any market analysis/projections on this or would necessarily know how to do so) would be to make the AH MA online arenas free for everyone, but make the historical scenario and AvA, etc. specialized arenas $5/mo or something. The real value of AH is in those latter arenas (where most people who have played AH for a long time have the most fun) but the free online MA would draw in a greater crowd that could feed into the paid subscription pool. Just an idea...

The so called free games are only free if you don't mind being destroyed over and over by those that buy in game items to make them stronger. Many spend far more in those type games. They are never ever really even player to player. You buy your skill rather than develope it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)