Author Topic: Resupply of Towns in the MA.  (Read 4991 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Resupply of Towns in the MA.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 05:12:48 PM »
I'd like to see ALL object resupplying done away with.

No matter how you slice it, it takes players out of the real fight.

It's boring as hell too.

+1 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 06:56:50 PM »
The only players who support an idea like this are going to be the ones who do not play on a strategic level. Dogfights and base takes. You have to put in some serious time defending to fully appreciate the significance of resupply ability.

If one has a problem with this issue then the strats need to be hit. Taking a base isnt as simple as closing it down and dropping town during prime hours. Having troop factory hit and troops porked at supplying bases secures that no resupply will happen.

There is no easy way out in AH. There are short cuts but only the few know those secrets ;)
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 06:58:24 PM »
I enjoy defending a town and keeping the bishops or rooks from capturing it, whether it's in a plane a GV or an m3 running sups. I enjoy dogfighting, and if I don't get enough, I get a couple of friends and go to the DA where I can dogfight to my heart's content. In the Ma, I do what is needed to win a map, or keep someone else from winning it. That's is the purpose of the MA, as dogfighting is the purpose of the DA.
+1
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 08:20:49 PM »
  Resupply is just another aspect of combat.  Whether I am dropping bombs on an enemy, or supplies on my base, it is all part of combat.  The resupply system adds another dimension of tactics to the environment.  It also gives more and different targets to shoot at, which is a good thing.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 09:23:59 PM »
Agreed! unrealistic bull m3 rebuilding towns in min, faster than you can bomb;   M3 is not a cement mixer, was not designed to haul building materials and rebuild cities;  concrete needs 2 days to solidify and takes weeks/months to fight the bureaucracy for a building permit.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 09:34:58 PM »
Have to agree with copprhed & volron on this one. If your playing to win the war everything must depend on good strat attack strategy. I understand the amount of time a good strat run takes but what a difference it can make.

I mean no offense by saying this but I have to state the obvious here. If downtimes are 30 minutes different strategies are needed for a capture such as surprise and effect. Most of the time 3 or more friendlies on a base take can almost guarantee it will be defended or resupplied especially with dar down.

Coordinating a precision attack where base is dropped, porked, and town wf/deacked leaves no room for error either. We cant as a community change a good system because it is difficult. Experiment new tactics and see what works and what doesnt. Maybe a City/AAA run to start an offensive might help for starters.

Much as I hate to admit it ( :devil ) Wizz is right. The system is designed in the defenders favor, with methods or tactics available to minimize the defenders advantage.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 10:21:45 PM »
Agreed! unrealistic bull m3 rebuilding towns in min, faster than you can bomb;   M3 is not a cement mixer, was not designed to haul building materials and rebuild cities;  concrete needs 2 days to solidify and takes weeks/months to fight the bureaucracy for a building permit.

This aspect of the game is not meant to be realistic. If we wanted it to be realistic, carpet bombing towns should make them harder to take, not easier - IRL, rubble proved easier to defend than buildings (See Stalingrad, Monte Cassino, and Caen).

What this really represents is bringing in extra defending troops, but it's abstracted so the game doesn't get bogged down in massive land battles with AI infantry slugging it out. There's no need to turn AH into another 1st person shooter and even less need to make the game depend on massive infantry battles in which human players can't directly participate, so instead we have an abstract mechanism for capturing bases on the ground once the defenses have been softened up from the air.

Attackers have a number of options to keep the town from being be resupplied. Take out troops at the base or bases that spawn in, knock down the city and/or ack strats so it takes a dozen loads of supplies to bring the town up instead of three, have troops spawn in as soon as the attack commences so they're there to make the capture before enemy M3s can drive in from their spawn, or best and easiest of all, have the fighters who deacked the town stick around to kill incoming M3s. M3s are completely helpless against even a marginally competent pilot in a fighter, and if the defenders spawn wirbels that's extra players who aren't resupping the town or defending in the air - and also combat, for those who say that the resupply mechanic takes away from combat in the game.

The downside of making this change that no one has mentioned yet is that it would mean attackers could take down the city strat then fly around bombing a dozen different towns all of which would be vulnerable to a sneak attack for the next two hours. Nobody wants to have half the country baby-sitting white-flagged towns for hours on end waiting for attackers who never come, but that without the option to resupply that would be the only way to defend airfields from sneak attacks. Sneaking bases is a valid tactic but there's no reason to make it much easier than it is now.

This is a well-balanced aspect of the game that doesn't need to be changed.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 10:29:06 PM »
And yet, 2,500 lbs of bombs and no more M3s.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2016, 06:48:59 AM »
Most of the time M3s alone will not protect a town. Usually it's a combination of defense and m3s.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2016, 07:54:47 AM »
M3 supplying is a great way to earn tank perks. 

I have resupplied and saved towns and I have towns taken from a sure capture by and M3.

The current system works  just fine.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 09:02:01 AM »
I'd rather lose the map than sit in a truck and dodge trees.

To each his own. You won't catch me in a resupply truck.

I'm glad you guys can convince yourselves that something so boring is fun. I wish I had that skill, it would come in handy at work.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2016, 09:23:54 AM »
I'd rather lose the map than sit in a truck and dodge trees.

To each his own. You won't catch me in a resupply truck.

I'm glad you guys can convince yourselves that something so boring is fun. I wish I had that skill, it would come in handy at work.

:rofl
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2016, 10:27:02 AM »

This is a well-balanced aspect of the game that doesn't need to be changed.
In the beginnings, I took a whole town down with 1x P47D40,  town was pre-set with certain downtime (same like Fhs,Vhs today) , no flak/guns and was not possible to resup it;  I used to park a tiger at the maproom and bitterly defend it, that was the fight;  Yep, bases  changed hands more often, dynamic frontline,but was fun,maps reset quickly not....boringggggggggg  7 same maps;
Making bases so difficult to capture (specially with this low# ) just mutilated the strategic gamming and kicked out lots of players  , not all paying clients are good or enjoy endless dogfighting for rank score and is not much satisfaction left for average Joe team player toolsheder.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:35:43 AM by ghi »

Offline tunes

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2016, 10:58:19 AM »
ghi and I have been on opposite sides for well over ten years.

The first town configurations where plain and easy to read.

No red squares to keep the maps from being won to fast.
And I mean resetting the map three times in a day.
"WTG the old LCA Members"

ghi was hell in a IL2. I can tell you.

With low numbers today and a harder learning curve for new members.

Is part of what started me to post. If we do not keep the FUN in AHII.
We run the risk of loosing the best WWII Community on the net.

Maybe I am starting to veer off subject. But there is an old sales expression that has
lived long. The Kiss method. "Keep It Simple Stupid".

Veterans of AHII find new information on game play all the time. " I Did Not Know That".
Imagine a new person and todays learning curve to have fun.

Re-sup towns just came up one night at 2:30am and I thought I would get some feedback.

We are all in this together. Fun is also in numbers.

tunes
LCA Squadron

Realize Your Potential www.lcasquadron.org

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 11:03:54 AM »
In the beginnings, I took a whole town down with 1x P47D40,  town was pre-set with certain downtime (same like Fhs,Vhs today) , no flak/guns and was not possible to resup it;  I used to park a tiger at the maproom and bitterly defend it, that was the fight;  Yep, bases  changed hands more often, dynamic frontline,but was fun,maps reset quickly not....boringggggggggg  7 same maps;
Making bases so difficult to capture (specially with this low# ) just mutilated the strategic gamming and kicked out lots of players  , not all paying clients are good or enjoy endless dogfighting for rank score and is not much satisfaction left for average Joe team player toolsheder.

this is a true statement.  for the most part the only system that works is horde and grab.  it is pulling teeth to get much help to begin with and knowing most attacks are pointless they not attempted.  with low numbers dont even try, fly around looking for a misfit toy or just log.