Author Topic: Support for 3D Monitors, Glasses, and Goggles (Oculus Rift, Vive, etc)  (Read 7196 times)

Offline GrandpaChaps

• Copper Member
Re: Support for 3D Monitors, Glasses, and Goggles (Oculus Rift, Vive, etc)
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 10:26:49 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'm watching Rift quite a bit.  Awesome potential there. 
Uncle Fred

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 10:43:39 AM »
HT, if you're using the beta with the Rift, is that the unit you plan on possibly having the most/first/only/etc compatibility with for the future AH game?  Can you offer any info on the other units coming like the Steam one which could be popular as well being maybe compatible in the future?

I'm just trying to get a sense for what the best unit to buy would be if a AH player can only buy ONE headset out of the 3 or 4 that could be popular for other games.  Is the Rift the best bet to plan on?

Thanks in advance, it's cool you're working with this VR tech already.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 10:54:31 AM »
HT, if you're using the beta with the Rift, is that the unit you plan on possibly having the most/first/only/etc compatibility with for the future AH game?  Can you offer any info on the other units coming like the Steam one which could be popular as well being maybe compatible in the future?

I'm just trying to get a sense for what the best unit to buy would be if a AH player can only buy ONE headset out of the 3 or 4 that could be popular for other games.  Is the Rift the best bet to plan on?

I haven't made any plans about what to support.

HiTech

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 01:39:03 PM »

+1 on that.  Like Gman, waiting to see which one makes the most sense from a platform perspective. 

Question hitech - how did you enable support for the TrackIR?  Was it overly complex or simple?  Would these VR devices operate in the same manner as TrackIR?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 04:36:56 PM »
Ok thanks HT.  I think a lot of AH players will probably wait until they know if/what HTC will support before committing to a VR thing - I don't really know of any games I'm hot to trot to use it with yet, other than this one, so I want to get the one that will be best suited here, if VR is used at all in the future.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 04:06:56 PM »
+1 on that.  Like Gman, waiting to see which one makes the most sense from a platform perspective. 

Question hitech - how did you enable support for the TrackIR?  Was it overly complex or simple?  Would these VR devices operate in the same manner as TrackIR?

Google Opentrack, it takes the Rift DK1/DK2 headtracking data and emultates FreeTrack/TrackIR and other sutff. it's fairly easy to setup, and most importantly lets you scale inputs (HT if you do natively support Rift please remember to allow some sort of input scaling. 1:1 is hard on the neck).

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 10:01:39 AM »
I haven't made any plans about what to support.

HiTech

I would like to put in a shameless request for the Tobii Eye Tracking system...........

I understand that this may well be far down the list but at least it has been brought up..................

:pray  :D

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 03:05:38 PM »
Got the occulus working on our test engine yesterday.

If we do support it I am fairly sure you will have to run a 4.4 driver version.

HiTech

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 05:30:43 PM »

HiTech
...and how was it? :x
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2016, 02:55:10 PM »
If any of you need to gear up for AH3 and want a consumer-version Oculus Rift too, this _might_ be worth a look-see.  I posted this in the Hardware & Software discussion:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,376823.msg5028999.html#msg5028999

Just a PSA guys; I have no dog in this hunt other than hoping for eventual AH support for VR.

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 01:27:30 PM »

HiTech

I really REALLY recommend looking at Elite Dangerous, they've nailed what a VR in game experience can be like. I think AH is already one of the better games to use with VR, especially the way the clipboard menu works. Room for improvements are those little bits of info that sit in the corners of the screen - you can never really see/read them in a rift.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 01:29:50 PM by Vulcan »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 02:21:14 PM »
Room for improvements are those little bits of info that sit in the corners of the screen - you can never really see/read them in a rift.

Yea I noticed that when I got it working.

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
Exciting news!

I got a HTC Vive two weeks ago and I love it. I love it so much that I actually got rid of my TrackIR setup. That being without having any optimal simulation VR experience yet. I mainly fly in DCS these days which has native Vive support. But the engine is very hardware demanding and getting 90FPS is currently almost impossible. But even with the frame loss and the intermittend jerkiness the presence is unbelievable. You ARE in the cockpit. Flying around and landing is much easier as you can judge distances naturally. I can land a Mirage on 1 wheel if need be.

Somewhere on reddit I found a blurb that HTC is actually considering adding VR support. That made me run here immediately. I just cannot step into a 2D cockpit anymore. And a Aces High comback in VR would be beyond amazing!

I hope AH is moving into that direction! I will lurking in the shadows for sure.

Kirin out
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
Curious, has anyone else played around much with the HTC Vive in Aces High and had success?

Any VR support would be good and I think/hope HiTech is smart enough to get behind it and at least support the two leading competitors.

That being said, I'm mostly atracted to the Vive and I believe supporting it would give HiTech a boost in active players if they were to market the game through Steam (we could really use the increase in player numbers in the arenas as they are far below where they once were).

I see a gain in profits for HiTech and even more fun for us patrons down the VR avenue.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:35:50 PM by Owlblink »
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
The currently released Beta DX11 executable (Patch 29, ahbeta11.exe) has support for the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift.  We do not link that to the desktop.  You will have to execute it from the Windows Start menu, or by navigating to the game installation folder.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com