Author Topic: Can aircraft and ground vehicles be put into terrain as objects?  (Read 3281 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Can aircraft and ground vehicles be put into terrain as objects?
« on: February 07, 2016, 02:42:37 PM »
Is it possible to put skinnable aircraft and ground vehicles (trucks, jeeps) into a terrain, for example bombers parked on tarmac outside a hangar?   Ground support vehicles (fuel trucks, etc) parked at various locations around the fields?

If possible, could they be attacked and destroyed as targets?

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Can aircraft and ground vehicles be put into terrain as objects?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:10:35 PM »
This is the best idea ever! It would add a lot of character to the airfield, even if they weren't targets, but still looked destroyed, that would be awesome. 
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 03:10:48 AM »
I like it, maybe some destroyed tanks on beaches or bombers at the end of a runway.
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 06:31:35 AM »
Something like this could be done on a special events terrain but it is not allowed for the MA. Apart from the normal "no custom objects" rule for MA terrains and possible framerate issues, extra planes or tanks could be mistaken for players and attacked by mistake.

One example of tanks used this way is on Bustr's gunnery practice terrain.  On it he has carefully placed tanks at set distances from SPs for use as targets. These tanks are simply taken from the list of available objects in the TE and placed where needed by the terrain builder. Their damage hardness can be altered by changing a setting in object properties but once blown up there is no damaged/on fire tank object to replace it like you would get with a hangar etc.

I haven't looked but I don't think there are any damaged tanks or aircraft objects in the TE. If not, the only way to add one would be to create the object using the object editor and other editing software, and then add this object to the terrain using the terrain editor.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:35:03 AM by Greebo »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 09:07:29 AM »
Thanks, I wasn't thinking so much of tanks; more along the lines of airfield support vehicles - transports, fuel trucks, and aircraft parked outside of hangars to make locations look a little more alive for films.   

Here's a transport truck in the beta hangar.   So HTC has already created a 3D model of it, is it possible for it to be included in the TE available objects?   

Likewise, since our planes must already be 3D objects, is there a way to build them into the TE as objects that can be placed?   This would allow more interesting shots to be created from the film viewer - for example, following a target aircraft taxiing away from a hangar, with the camera placed underneath the wing of a bomber on the tarmac.   I think it could add a little more realism to a film.

Thanks, <S>
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:14:13 AM by oboe »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 10:25:47 AM »
If you run the TE and select the objects tab there is a tick box that says something like "list all objects". If you tick this it will show you all the objects that can be placed in a terrain. Unticked it just shows you what can be put in an MA terrain. There is at least one truck there, the one used in the supply convoys. Not sure if its the same one shown in your shot. All the planes and GVs are there too.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:29:46 AM by Greebo »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 01:14:16 PM »
AH3\Beta terrain editor tank objects cannot be destroyed with AP ammo per Hitech. But, you get a very nice explosion graphic.

I tried to place aircraft on my airfield for some photo ops. As a static object the aircraft is set on the ground leveled to it's centerline. This is fine for the nose wheel aircraft if you don't mind the main gear just a few inches sunk into the ground.

My offline gunnery practice terrain has evolved. I started aging the terrain in mind of how and where water would go as runoff. The island has become a more mature terrain as close as I've been able to use the available terrain tiles to duplicate the real world.

Here are 20 clips from the editor to show how I've evolved the terrain. I'll break them up into 4 posts.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 01:17:23 PM »
Second group of five. Water defines terrain.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 01:21:48 PM »
Third group.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 01:24:51 PM »
Last group, hmmm, one didn't upload....

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 01:55:10 PM »
I asked myself, Self why wouldn't the Vbase not flood during a really bad rain? A rock outcropping causing the diversion of the two runoff gully's.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 02:16:36 PM »
It is three miles to the far shore battery. See all of the tanks I placed on the tank town object. Then the second screen capture, how many tanks can you see in the trees?

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 04:27:05 PM »
In the end, if you want to waste a WHOLE LOTTA TIME.....

Water defines everything about terrain in one way or another.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 12:08:36 PM »
Beta6 the Eruo terrain set tiles were changed. I had to repaint the island and make some adjustments for the new trees.

Updated aerial view.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 12:53:43 PM »
So none of you bothered to ask why I have that giant rock wall next to the airfield. The flattened top is 400ft under the path the drones fly around the airfield. And there are two 37mm, an 88mm, and a GV spawn up there. None of you ever wanted to be able to practice offline shooting at fighters at the same fly over or fly past alts that they attack the fields you defend in wirbels or ostis? Or practice more realistic shooting at cons with the 37mm or the 88mm. There are two other 88mm locations on the terrain that give you 7k shooting ranges at the drones. Along with positions on those flat areas to shoot at tanks and learn how to range the gunsight. And tank spawns on the same ranges to learn how to range with the GV sights.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing