Author Topic: Can aircraft and ground vehicles be put into terrain as objects?  (Read 3279 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Can aircraft and ground vehicles be put into terrain as objects?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 03:16:02 PM »
Beta6 Waffle changed some of the trees. Now they are more realistic for lower elevations.

Remember this before and after? All those tanks out in that tank town Hogan's Alley to shoot at.

No Trees.

Hello trees, see any tanks?

We love our long range sniping of GV spawns and pitched battles. The two white lines are the GV spawn points I laid down on the TT object. If I move them a few feet behind the trees, now your tank up on the hillside is exposed for anyone under the trees looking up. The terrain builder would have to create places with slightly less trees due to how thick trees are now. If you fill in a 1x1mile square with trees, it becomes a maze allowing you to see only a short way between the clumps. No straight line paths to drive your way out. You end up having to navigate with the clipboard to keep generally zigging and zagging in the right direction.

Trees turned off to show tanks and spawns.

What looks like green tanks in the near ground along the wash is a new bush Waffle introduced with a change in terrain tiles with Beta6.

Trees turned on, where did all the tanks go?

Here is how thick the trees are. 800 yards away is an airfield.

View from inside the tree maze.

Trees off and an airfield 800 yards away.

Top view of my location. Look at that maze. Now imagine trying to drive a mile through it. I bet Lancaster become the new spotting plane tagging whole forests with 1000lb general purpose marker bombs...... :O

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 04:08:44 PM »
I like that we now have a clutter-free grass tile and a very densely-cluttered forest tile. An SP can be placed in a patch a forest which makes camping it difficult. So long as a path clear of dense forest is left between the SP and the target base then the player has the choice of a slow, relatively safe journey or a faster but less safe one through less-cluttered tiles.

The new tiles have mucked up a few things in CraterMA so I am busy re-clearing the runway ends and SBs of trees, as well as ensuring there are forest-free paths from SPs. There are 135 bases, so its going to take a while.

The non-snow-covered clutter on the snow/rock tiles is my only real gripe with the new tiles. Having summer foliage in a winter landscape just looks wrong to my eyes. Really hope HTC change the top three tiles back the way they were.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 05:19:56 PM »
I've finally gotten the hang of below 7000ft, working rock down into water run offs with Beta6 tiles. Does this mean Waffle is going to add another layer of driving me nutz again.... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 05:51:32 PM »
Greebo,

I like the stone\tree tile sets in Beta6 Eruoset. They have better transitions down into the full lower level forest. Little gratuitous tail dragger object pitching going on at the same time.  Hitech gave me a hand with object pitch.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 11:00:11 AM »
Bustr,

I'm very happy to see the B-17 sitting there!   Thank you to Hitech for help with the object pitch.  I assume this means aircraft can be built into terrains now - set up on hangar aprons, etc as props for movie makers?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 12:15:56 PM »
Sorry I Bogarted your post. I was hoping to generate curiosity about the beta and AH3 with pictures showing the terrain while talking about it. Unlike the skinners, terrain guys don't often share screen shots of work in progress to help the community understand their hard work. Terrains in progress are just as much fun to look at as skins. Creativity for the game inspires players to feel confident about their game.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You adjust the pitch in the oba file after you set the object down and level it to the nose or main gear first.

Tail draggers use positive numbers, the number for me that angled the B17 correctly was 0.1400. If you have to pitch the nose down I think it will be a negative number.

The only way I could look at my changes was to get up close in the TE.
1. - Guestimate by the gap to ground distance. Have the oba file open.
2. - Add\sub a bit, save, then restart the TE.
3. - Then maneuver all the way back to look at the change in the tire to ground gap.

Those inputs are not exposed in the object gui, so you have to start a new TE session for it to read the manual entry in the oba file.

Now I have to revisit my hidden tank hulks in my two Hogan Alleys.

F01STR016,      b17g,     -1916.548,      2009.500,     -6999.064, 0.0000, 0.1400, 1.5708,

From Hitech:

Entry->Name,
            Entry->ShapeName,
            Entry->Pnt.x,
            Entry->Pnt.y,
            Entry->Pnt.z,
            Entry->Att.Roll,
            Entry->Att.Pitch,
            Entry->Att.Yaw,
            (Entry->Flags & tobjTOF_EDIT_SETABLE),
            (int)Entry->CountryOrField,
            (int)Entry->ObjectType,
            Entry->Hardness,
            Entry->DownTime,
            Entry->PointValue,
            Entry->ObjectID,
            //Entry->GroupID,
            0,// No longer Used
            Entry->ObjectData,
            (int)Entry->ZoneNumber,
            Entry->ParentIndex);
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 12:33:22 PM »
@ Hitech. What is Entry->ParentIndex now?

I like that the props aren't bent back on the B17 now. Most players won't notice, but you still see the damage on the wings and fuselage.

I'm unable to post the jpg in here.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 05:44:53 PM »
I'm placing down all the planes in the game on my terrain at this airfield so I can do some photo ops and maybe a film to show our offerings. Then I'm deleting them all. The more of them you place on the airfield, the more FPS you give up.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 10:26:37 PM »
We have a lot of rides these days in the game.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2016, 06:55:26 PM »
Yeppers, a lot of rides in the game.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 03:04:30 PM »
@ Hitech. What is Entry->ParentIndex now?

I like that the props aren't bent back on the B17 now. Most players won't notice, but you still see the damage on the wings and fuselage.

I'm unable to post the jpg in here.

If you have one object on top of another, then the child object is also destroyed when the parent is. We havn't had to use it manually in a long while, but it is used automatically on objects created with the object editor, or ones we created like the ships.

As example the guns on a CV.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016, 05:32:38 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 05:35:25 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 11:15:42 AM »
Oboe,

If you are still determined to use static aircraft, I can give you the pitch for all aircraft in the game now. A few won't eat FPS, but, that hits you quickly before you realize it if you want the realism. You would need to have a small group of players with varying levels of hardware grunt to test the effects on FPS. Just making the films with all of the planes on the field reduced my FPS down into the 20's. I run the beta with the defaults and 4096 texture mode and normally get 50-60. Even moving the work space around rapidly at times created stutters.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 10:54:54 PM »
Hey Bustr,

Thanks for checking into this.  I still think it would be very cool to have static aircraft at fields, both as props and also destroyable targets.  I'm sure that's not allowed for an MA terrain but I wonder about the AvA?

Hang on to the pitch numbers.  I dont' know the first thing about creating a terrain, but maybe someday will learn to build one for films.  So much I'd like to learn to do!

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 06:50:10 AM »
the AVA has a terrain with static aircraft..... just saying. I think they're even destroyable.