Author Topic: This community is toxic...you ALL need to understand this  (Read 17801 times)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
This community is toxic...you ALL need to understand this
« on: March 05, 2016, 11:25:36 PM »
Guys,

I just had the most unpleasant exchange in the MA.  I cannot believe this community is so insular / short sighted. 

l like to fly the P51.  I will turn with you.

Tonight I was abused for doing that.......I am nothing but a picktard....<sigh>  I turned with the 38 for maybe 3 turns.....got him and was then hammered by his support.

I was a picktard........MY GOD GUYS.

LOL  you know, as I write this and try to compose it properly I realise...I give up.  I really do.

YOU....the PLAYERS... are killing this game.  My Lord I am so angry right now but there is no real way to make you guys understand it.  I flew the F6F the other day, I got respect....lol.  same person...actually the same moves, just tighter....

BBS rules prevent me from naming players........YOU know who you are.  I suggest you alter your attitude to players.  It is really not helpful.  Build the game not destroy it.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Re: This community is toxic...you ALL need to understand this
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 11:45:31 PM »
I realized that internet "communities" were toxic back in the 1990s. About the exact same time that I realized internet communities aren't reality.

The world is full of people who have yet to realize that internet communities aren't real. TYFM Zuckerberg.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 11:52:56 PM »
I was thinking about posting a similar topic when I loged off but laziness and alcohol got the better of me. I agree, unfortunately it seems the jerks tend to be more vocal, but I still believe that decent folk tend to compose the majority of the community.

Chuikov

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 12:21:30 AM »
FESS67 let me ask you this, if it was AI programmed to talk smack would it bother you and make you as angry? I'd venture to say that it would not. Why? Because you wouldn't take it personally. Which brings us to my next point.

You're taking things that happen in a video game personally. Let that sink in.

I'm not saying this to belittle you, I'm saying this because I hope that it can offer you a new perspective where from you can enjoy MMOL games more.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 12:39:17 AM »
This community has been this way for quite a while. It takes thick skin and remembering it is just a game. I saw the banter tonight and you did stoke the fire a bit. People are quick to jump into those kind of 200 arguments. So it's squelch them or get thicker skin.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 12:50:44 AM »
How to avoid cross-country childish junk measuring:

Step 1: /.squelch 200

(there are no further steps)

[Regrettably, you can't squelch range.) ;)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 01:11:13 AM »
The community isn't the one guy who did this it's the hundred guys that didn't. Get over it.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 01:14:58 AM »
Detune 200 and squelch and report.  Continue to enjoy what you like flying and let Hitech sort out the rest.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 03:25:22 AM »
Some great advice in this thread.  AH banter / smacktalk is quite pedestrian in the grand scheme of things.  People are always going to moan about how you just put them in the tower.   Grow some thicker skin or de tune 200 if you cant help but react to idiotic comments.   Im guilty of engaging with them sometimes usually if I have had a bad day.  Just be secure in the knowledge that if you went to the da mano mano they would get beat stupid!
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 03:43:20 AM »
Detune 200 and squelch and report.  Continue to enjoy what you like flying and let Hitech sort out the rest.
What? No!
Talking smack on 200 is an important aspect of the game. The more preposterous the accusations the more amusing they are. If one is not proficient in the ways of the banter, a good way to start is to acknowledge every idiotic accusation thrown at you and even enhace it. Hilarity ensues.

Please don't detune ch200 or conduct your banter in private - share it with us! Some of us fly planes that can't even break 2500 fpm in a climb and it is a long climb to our lofty perch at 7000 feet. We need entertainment on the way!
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 05:47:27 AM »
If it was not for the banter I would play Warbluder :old:

There was a guy on before Christmas who was going to do unmentionable things to me when he found out where I lived.

:rofl

AH is awesome and Fess is a moose fetler!

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 06:37:48 AM »
This is funny.   :rofl
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
This is funny.   :rofl

When you think about it... yup.. it is.

Offline FishBait

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 07:13:24 AM »
I can relate to this sentiment. I've been on both ends of the toxicity - something I'm not necessarily proud of - and though as usual I'm learning slowly, I do believe I'm learning. What I'm learning... STFU. If you don't want to engage in childish banter, just don't. If someone calls you out on 200 or in PMs, don't respond. And if you can't help but respond, think about just tuning out 200 for good. And, of course, by all means, don't start a discussion on 200 you don't want to commit to. One comment made to the wrong person may spawn a day's worth of constant jabs back at you.

The squelch is your friend. Use it liberally.

With some players it's fun to give each other good-natured grief. Others not-so-much. Learning who is who takes time I guess.

Of course I practice the advice I just gave rarely, but like I said I'm learning :lol: It's a work in progress
-== Hell Hounds ==- Official Pooper Scooper

I've got 99 problems, but a HO aint one.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 07:44:48 AM »
I think people used to just switch sides and shoot down the folks that get on their nerves.

It's always been that way, someone will always be complaining/telling you how to fly.

They are called TARGETS.   :cheers:
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.