Author Topic: Dogfight : F35 vs F16  (Read 79332 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dogfight : F35 vs F16
« Reply #945 on: September 09, 2016, 08:54:16 AM »
Quote from: GScholz
"I would emphasize the term 'multirole' after experiencing this jet in many roles, and now also in a dogfight. The F-35 has a real bite! Those in doubt will be surprised when they finally meet this 'bomber'! - Morten Hanche. RNoAF F-35 pilot and 2,200-hour F-16 veteran.

Two AMRAAMs.   Two small bombs.  That's considered a "real bite" these days? :huh

This Morten Hanche guy doesn't know what he's talking about.  No wonder they picked him to speak to the public about this horribly flawed, hopelessly outclassed piece of junk.   
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 09:22:29 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #946 on: September 09, 2016, 10:56:52 AM »
I often think the same, regarding that last bit Shida.

I still am sticking to my original point made here years ago on this topic: until I see large numbers of F35s, as in squadrons or a detachment of one at least, perform at Red Flag/etc, taking on swarms of Red Air, flown by the best pilots in the world, simulating modern threats like the SU and various Chinese fighters as well as modern SAM/AA/AD threats...  Even if that means using F22s as the Chinese stealth analogues, and in that exercise we see the F35 succeed and win fights and accomplish mission goals with minimal loses, against Red Air that gets to reset and simulate massive enemy numbers, which WILL be faced in any war with China/Russia/near peer states/etc, the jury is out.
+1 on that it needs a real test. 

The problem with it I have is that it's overly complex and expensive to fight in wars and conflicts I don't think exist any more, and is perhaps better suited for drones.

If we have a conflict where we are up against hundreds of opposing well trained fighters, then we've already lost.

And if the F-35 isn't the solution, what kind of aircraft would be better suited?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #947 on: September 09, 2016, 11:23:12 AM »
+1 on that it needs a real test. 

The problem with it I have is that it's overly complex and expensive to fight in wars and conflicts I don't think exist any more, and is perhaps better suited for drones.

If we have a conflict where we are up against hundreds of opposing well trained fighters, then we've already lost.

And if the F-35 isn't the solution, what kind of aircraft would be better suited?

F-22s to datalink to the F-15 Advanced (SIXTEEN AMRAAMs).   The F-15SA now in production can carry 16 AAMs and this upgrade can be fitted to existing airframes. 

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/boeings-touts-new-16-air-to-air-missile-carrying-f-15-e-1730258333

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-is-a-fully-armed-f-15sa-the-most-advanced-product-1715732294

Or a mix of F-22 and F-15SE.  You could even use the F-15SE wth ejectable pylons meaning that once it fires off its external stores it can "cloak" like a Bird of Prey in Star Trek. 

The Just So Failed at max can carry four Slammers in "stealth" configuration.  It is NOT an air superiority platform.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 12:56:54 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #948 on: September 09, 2016, 03:05:35 PM »
Of course. It's perhaps the most lauded version by those who fly it. Here's a couple of hits on youtube:

I thought you'd actually talked to this Dolby chap. Probably doesn't have time. I'm sure I've seen him spending a lot of time in the MA too flying sausage planes. Haven't watched the videos yet because I have trouble with links. I imagine a lot of the pilot's comments pertain to a comparison with hovering a Harrier? If so then yes, I imagine they are absolutely elated  :rofl

So let's compartmentalise the conversation a bit or we're in severe logical fallacy territory real quick, and we all hate that.

I haven't commented much about the flight characteristics because I'm not qualified to do so. I've only flown an R-22 for an hour and although I did quite well apparently it scared the crap out of me. I've also had a bit of stick time in a powered glider - a much more peaceful and harmonious affair - and aside from crashing Hillbilly's R/C plane for him that’s about the extent of my physical flying experience.

I believe those pilots who say it handles well, and has a lot more potential than the rides they are used to. I also supported the assertion earlier in this thread that the 'dogfight' mentioned in the title wasn't one. I think I also stated software would change the hardware quite a bit too. This I gathered from reading a few articles and making assumptions  :) Although Vraciu does have a very good point. I imagine one non-constructive comment and you'd be flying toilet roles into Afghanistan in an Airtruk. Pilot's who are used to a competitive selection processes probably know that quite well. I agree they are well aware of the political aspects also. This must be allowed for in some of the anecdotes.

The question is, is it $1.508 trillion and 40 years of knowledge and technological development-worth of better? I think this is a justifiable complaint by a lot of ordinary tax-paying folk living in many countries, who have paid for it when it all boils down to it.

I myself wonder for instance why wasn’t more of the budget diverted early on into researching emerging materials for instance? Why does the airframe have a finite lifespan at all? Why on earth did they go with the very questionable liftfan system, which would inescapably doom the project into a spliting into variants. Just some peculiar and poorly executed initial design decisions. Haven't they basically ended up with payload approximately what the CALF programme would have resulted in, with a far more messy and compromised production programme and having spent an awful lot more money?

I don’t consider myself to at all be on the conspiracy theory side of the fence, I can still be critical of some of the reports, especially if I sniff inconsistencies. Respectfully you didn’t confine your statements to comments by pilots. A design issue was raised which sounded sniffy. The evidence was contradictory, contrary to convention (load versus hours as a for instance) and presented with a positive spin. This is entirely the point. No wonder people become suspicious.

A reasonable assumption would be that people like "Dolby" Hanche is telling the truth when they praise the F-35 and its capabilities. As officers and servicemen of their respective countries' armed forces their integrity, while not beyond reproach, is still something they have earned through their service and professionalism. If you want to call these people liars you had better be prepared to back that up with a lot more than "interpolating and extrapolating". Because if you do your own integrity is on the line, not just theirs.

I don't sense a great deal of negative attention heading in the direction of the pilots / servicemen. At the same time I don't share your obligation to be what I consider overly respectful. We can just differ on this point with our dissimilar backgrounds.

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #949 on: September 09, 2016, 03:22:07 PM »
I often think the same, regarding that last bit Shida.

The trench warfare analogy or the reality prediction?

:salute my friend.
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #950 on: September 09, 2016, 03:23:57 PM »
This Morten Hanche guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Mind you 'Take on Me' was a brilliant record for its day  :old:

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #951 on: September 09, 2016, 06:08:47 PM »

:rofl
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #952 on: September 10, 2016, 03:32:31 AM »
I thought you'd actually talked to this Dolby chap. Probably doesn't have time. I'm sure I've seen him spending a lot of time in the MA too flying sausage planes. Haven't watched the videos yet because I have trouble with links. I imagine a lot of the pilot's comments pertain to a comparison with hovering a Harrier? If so then yes, I imagine they are absolutely elated  :rofl

Harrier, F-18 and EA-6B in service with the Marines. The F-35B replaces all of them. The Marine pilots called it the most lethal and advanced fighter in the world. And yes, I've talked to "Dolby". Both the Norwegian fighter pilot and the British cartoon pilot. ;)

I haven't commented much about the flight characteristics because I'm not qualified to do so.

Good.

I believe those pilots who say it handles well, and has a lot more potential than the rides they are used to. I also supported the assertion earlier in this thread that the 'dogfight' mentioned in the title wasn't one. I think I also stated software would change the hardware quite a bit too.

Very good.

Although Vraciu does have a very good point. I imagine one non-constructive comment and you'd be flying toilet roles into Afghanistan in an Airtruk. Pilot's who are used to a competitive selection processes probably know that quite well. I agree they are well aware of the political aspects also. This must be allowed for in some of the anecdotes.

"I imagine" is exactly the kind of speculation that should be avoided at all cost. Serenity here has pretty much debunked that theory in this very thread. As a cadet pilot he is at the very bottom end of the "competitive selection processes" as you put it. And even if the United States were to have such an unfortunate practice, we're talking about pilots from eight different countries and not one single individual steps out of line even anonymously? I find that very hard to believe.

The question is, is it $1.508 trillion and 40 years of knowledge and technological development-worth of better? I think this is a justifiable complaint by a lot of ordinary tax-paying folk living in many countries, who have paid for it when it all boils down to it.

The only people qualified to answer that question would be the pilots and tacticians who are exploring the F-35's capabilities. Obviously most of their opinions would be classified, but they seem to be very happy with it. I've heard comments like "five times better" but those are clearly subjective opinions. It is not a justifiable complaint when you can't actually answer the question. We'll have to wait until the aircraft (F-35A in my case) is fully operational and its true capabilities can be explored in a realistic environment.

I myself wonder for instance why wasn’t more of the budget diverted early on into researching emerging materials for instance?

I'm not privy to the development budget, and I can't imagine you are either, so that would be useless speculation.

Why does the airframe have a finite lifespan at all?

All airframes do. We have not yet invented Everlast or Adamantium. The lifespan can be prolonged more or less indefinitely of course, but then you're really talking about slowly replacing the whole aircraft part for part. Nothing lasts forever.

Why on earth did they go with the very questionable liftfan system, which would inescapably doom the project into a spliting into variants.

Seems to be working. I have no insight into what their options were or how they went about choosing the Rolls-Royce LiftSystem.

Just some peculiar and poorly executed initial design decisions.

I'm sorry, but that just sounds like hubris on your part.

Haven't they basically ended up with payload approximately what the CALF programme would have resulted in, with a far more messy and compromised production programme and having spent an awful lot more money?

DARPA's CALF program was initiated by Lockheed Martin and was merged with the Joint Advanced Strike Technology program to create the Joint Strike Fighter program. The F-35 is the result of the Common Affordable Lightweight Fighter program.

I don’t consider myself to at all be on the conspiracy theory side of the fence, I can still be critical of some of the reports, especially if I sniff inconsistencies. Respectfully you didn’t confine your statements to comments by pilots. A design issue was raised which sounded sniffy. The evidence was contradictory, contrary to convention (load versus hours as a for instance) and presented with a positive spin. This is entirely the point. No wonder people become suspicious.

I hope no one is naive enough to believe any company would put a negative spin on their own product... And "load versus hours" is not contrary to convention. The point of their testing is not to over stress the airframe, but to over cycle it. Finding out how many hours of normal use the airframe is likely to last.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 03:39:12 AM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #953 on: September 10, 2016, 03:36:55 AM »

Wrong Morten, but yeah. a-ha was great.  :cheers:
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #954 on: September 10, 2016, 04:53:36 AM »
Harrier, F-18 and EA-6B in service with the Marines. The F-35B replaces all of them. The Marine pilots called it the most lethal and advanced fighter in the world. And yes, I've talked to "Dolby". Both the Norwegian fighter pilot and the British cartoon pilot. ;)

My point was I'm sure it is an improvement over what they are flying. Of course they're excited about that. I did watch one video, the RAF pilot seemed mostly relieved he didn't have to worry about the verticle landing for the whole flight. To be fair, 1960 was the first year the Kestrel flew. It's now 2016. Perhaps you don't choose to recognize that subtlety?

we're talking about pilots from eight different countries and not one single individual steps out of line even anonymously? I find that very hard to believe.

An issue I have with your reporting is your attempts to generalize from a specific or 'flip channels' between the variants like a logical Fred Astaire. Just because it's pleasant to fly and potentially more well armed and capable than what they have now doesn't mean it's a good as it could've been.

The only people qualified to answer that question would be the pilots and tacticians who are exploring the F-35's capabilities.

No that's not correct. Pilots & tactitions have very little to do with developing technology or exploring innovative design solutions and no qualifications in that domain. Again I'm sure it's better than the older equipment thay have.

I'm not privy to the development budget, and I can't imagine you are either, so that would be useless speculation.

Speculation? The JSF appears to be made out of almost exclusively conventional materials <shrug>

All airframes do. We have not yet invented Everlast or Adamantium. The lifespan can be prolonged more or less indefinitely of course, but then you're really talking about slowly replacing the whole aircraft part for part. Nothing lasts forever.

I understood there have been two aircraft produced historically with (effectively) no hour limit on their airframes. Of course I'm happy to be corrected by more knowledgeable AH forum members, of which there are many. Both are several generations old. Many of those aircraft the JSF are replacing have ran out of airframe time and it was designed to replaced a large collection of aircraft. Ought it not to have been part of the design brief suggesting a longer lifetime in the replacement aircraft? From the bulkhead incident I gathered the long-term solution is going to be refitting again, just like F-16s and everything else?

Seems to be working.

Yup, for the five or six minutes it's needed during every single sortie, and for the rest of the time it's utterly dead weight. It can't even viff (or am I wrong about that?).

I have no insight into what their options were or how they went about choosing the Rolls-Royce LiftSystem.

There was plenty in the documentary about the JSF flyoff I watched years ago. My impression was they copied the arse end of that Russian thing which left them to solve the front half. Seemed to almost lick a finger and stick it in the wind. Have you seen this?:-

Look at the core feature shared by the majority of solutions tried. Ever.

Following a non-explorative design process like they did in my institution would get your projects frozen. The process was inferior to the one we are trained to use. Sorry if that sounds arrogant but let's agree to call a spade a spade. In a development process if necessity is the mother of invention then trust me, assumption is the mother of all f*** *ps.

DARPA's CALF program was initiated by Lockheed Martin and was merged with the Joint Advanced Strike Technology program to create the Joint Strike Fighter program. The F-35 is the result of the Common Affordable Lightweight Fighter program.

Err yes, I know. The merge incorporated the mistake of not designing for the most restrictive case first, as the CALF programme did. What about the payloads?

And "load versus hours" is not contrary to convention. The point of their testing is not to over stress the airframe, but to over cycle it. Finding out how many hours of normal use the airframe is likely to last.

But there was a quote about strength (explaining the lengthy testing?) which said something like to be on the safe side? I'm too lazy to look actually but conventionally maximum loads are determined by overloading. Fatigue is tested by overlifing. Which was it then? If you're going to flip back and forth between explanations then that's just circular arguing.

We can go at this endlessly (and some probably will). I'm interested in participating in a discussion or the closest thing we can get to that. If this is to indulge your inbuilt need to act as a counterpoint to the consiracy theorists then best of luck. Hope you win your argument. Perhaps you'll even convince the odd one  :)

Yes lots of good music coming out of Norway.  :cheers:

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #955 on: September 10, 2016, 09:32:47 AM »
Harrier, F-18 and EA-6B in service with the Marines. The F-35B replaces all of them. The Marine pilots called it the most lethal and advanced fighter in the world.

Hahahahaha!   Hyperbole at its finest.

Two-to-four AMRAAMs equates to "the most lethal fighter in the world"?

:rofl

You can't make this stuff up.  Also, it is NOT a fighter. 

Read that quote again and think about what it implies. 

Also, how does this turkey replace the A-6?   It can't.  It doesn't have the range or payload. 

Wow, talk about irony.

I hope no one is naive enough to believe any company would put a negative spin on their own product... And "load versus hours" is not contrary to convention. The point of their testing is not to over stress the airframe, but to over cycle it. Finding out how many hours of normal use the airframe is likely to last.

Not true.  Both types of testing are done--on static airframes.  Ultimate load and fatigue.  But since the Just So Failed is using "concurrence" (production while under development) we have a very buggy, expensive, DELAYED program that is not working, and we are finding problems that may never be fixable on already-produced airframes.   In any case the fixes will cost a fortune.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:32:28 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #956 on: September 10, 2016, 09:39:01 AM »
No VIFFimg, Shida.  It would blow the suicide door right off.  It would also take too long for the fan to spool up. 

It's a terrible system.  Insanely complex--read: prone to failure.   Also, as you said, dead weight.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 09:52:45 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #957 on: September 12, 2016, 08:15:42 AM »
My point was I'm sure it is an improvement over what they are flying. Of course they're excited about that. I did watch one video, the RAF pilot seemed mostly relieved he didn't have to worry about the verticle landing for the whole flight. To be fair, 1960 was the first year the Kestrel flew. It's now 2016. Perhaps you don't choose to recognize that subtlety?

VTOL or STOVL is a really difficult design challenge. The Kestrel/Harrier is the only really successful/useful VTOL/STOVL fighter in all those years. And it is not for a lack of trying. Out of 45 VTOL/STOVL designs on that chart you posted four were successful. Four. And the Yak-38 wasn’t really that successful/useful.

An issue I have with your reporting is your attempts to generalize from a specific or 'flip channels' between the variants like a logical Fred Astaire. Just because it's pleasant to fly and potentially more well armed and capable than what they have now doesn't mean it's a good as it could've been.

I'm pretty sure it isn’t as good as it could have been. Very few design are. The basic fact is that the more radical the design the greater risk of failure. Most designs take some risk, but are mostly conventional. History is full of examples of exciting advanced new designs that lose out to more conventional designs simply because they can’t get them to work in time or on budget.

No that's not correct. Pilots & tactitions have very little to do with developing technology or exploring innovative design solutions and no qualifications in that domain. Again I'm sure it's better than the older equipment thay have.

You misunderstand. It is the pilots and tacticians of the various air forces – the end user – that will determine whether or not the F-35 is successful. Whether it was worth the investment. The designers can only hope their choices were the right ones.

You are also wrong in that pilots and tacticians have very little to do with developing technology. I don’t know how many former military test pilots and former military personnel Lockheed Martin employs as consultants, but I’m pretty sure they could have their own air force if they wanted to. One larger than many countries'. To design something, you first need to know that the end user needs it, and what it needs to do. Then it needs to be tested and refined, tested and refined, etc.

Speculation? The JSF appears to be made out of almost exclusively conventional materials <shrug>

Conventional materials now yes. The JSF program started back in the early 90’s, and back then composites and stealth skins were very “exotic”. Stealth skins still are, really. You can’t really have exotic materials on a modern fighter because of the development time. The materials need to be mature before you can use them on a multi-million Dollar machine that must last for half a century.

And you are just speculating on how much of the budget was diverted early on into researching emerging materials. You’re not privy to their budget plans. You’re not privy to all the materials used on the jet. And you don’t know how many of the emerging materials they’ve researched, if any, that made it to production.

I understood there have been two aircraft produced historically with (effectively) no hour limit on their airframes.

Which two aircraft would that be?

Many of those aircraft the JSF are replacing have ran out of airframe time and it was designed to replaced a large collection of aircraft. Ought it not to have been part of the design brief suggesting a longer lifetime in the replacement aircraft?

The F-35 is designed to have twice the flight hours of the F-16, F-18 and other legacy types. They were designed for 4,000 flight hours. The F-35 is designed for 8,000.

So when you write “ought it not to have been part of the design brief suggesting a longer lifetime…” I have to ask wtf are you on about? How long would it have taken you to google basic information like that?

Yup, for the five or six minutes it's needed during every single sortie, and for the rest of the time it's utterly dead weight. It can't even viff (or am I wrong about that?).

No it can’t VIFF. Yes, it is dead weight, but it is worth it for the capability it delivers to the USMC and other small carrier operators like the RN.

There was plenty in the documentary about the JSF flyoff I watched years ago. My impression was they copied the arse end of that Russian thing which left them to solve the front half. Seemed to almost lick a finger and stick it in the wind. Have you seen this?:-

Look at the core feature shared by the majority of solutions tried. Ever.

Yes, look at the core feature shared by the majority of solutions tried. Ever. Now look at what kind of aircraft most of them are: Subsonic rotorcraft. How many of the designs are supersonic? One… The X-32B which lost to the X-35B for the exact same reasons I stated above: They couldn’t get it to work in time or on budget. Tilt-rotors and vectored thrust is great for subsonic applications, but not for supersonic fighter jets.

If you look closer, you’ll notice that the only successful supersonic jet VTOL/STOVL designs are in the combined power plant for hover category, with vectoring rear engines and separate lift engines in the front: The Yak-38 and Yak-141. The Yak-141 would probably have made it into production if not for the collapse of the Soviet Union, and it was the most advanced VTOL/STOVL jet when the JSF program began. The F-35B replaces the hover engines for a fan to save weight and increase reliability. In other respects the F-35B was an already proven design concept. Which is why it won against Boeing’s more innovative (and butt-ugly) X-32B: It worked.

Following a non-explorative design process like they did in my institution would get your projects frozen. The process was inferior to the one we are trained to use. Sorry if that sounds arrogant but let's agree to call a spade a spade. In a development process if necessity is the mother of invention then trust me, assumption is the mother of all f*** *ps.

In the real world however truly revolutionary and innovative designs rarely make it into production. The vast majority of designs, be it aircraft or cars or whatever, are based on older designs already proven to work. And when we’re talking about international investments in the trillions of Dollars, risk aversion becomes a dominant factor in decision-making.

As a designer you may look at a more innovative design proposal and conclude that it’s the better option and should be developed further. However, the people who manage the financing of the project may choose the less innovative option because it represents less risk of failure. When you’re responsible for peoples’ jobs and companies’ futures you may have other priorities than your typical designer tinkering with fancy ideas.

Err yes, I know. The merge incorporated the mistake of not designing for the most restrictive case first, as the CALF programme did. What about the payloads?

What about the payloads? None of the CALF designs ever got beyond initial study phase before the program was merged into the JSF program, and they’re still classified, so you tell me. What about the payloads?

However, if we look at the Lockheed AFX-653 CALF proposal it is pretty clear that the F-35 is the ultimate result of the CALF program.

But there was a quote about strength (explaining the lengthy testing?) which said something like to be on the safe side? I'm too lazy to look actually but conventionally maximum loads are determined by overloading. Fatigue is tested by overlifing. Which was it then? If you're going to flip back and forth between explanations then that's just circular arguing.

Don’t be lazy. Find the quote.

They were fatigue testing for lifetime, not maximum loads.

We can go at this endlessly (and some probably will). I'm interested in participating in a discussion or the closest thing we can get to that. If this is to indulge your inbuilt need to act as a counterpoint to the consiracy theorists then best of luck. Hope you win your argument. Perhaps you'll even convince the odd one  :)

I’m here mostly for fun. :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:55:34 AM by GScholz »

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #958 on: September 12, 2016, 08:44:14 AM »
Hey what are you guys talking about?
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #959 on: September 12, 2016, 09:51:15 AM »
Hey what are you guys talking about?

A horribly compromised, hopelessly flawed strike aircraft being shoehorned into an air superiority role for which it was never designed--and can never succeed at.

”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -