Author Topic: Oculus Rift use...  (Read 21649 times)

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
Re: Oculus Rift use...
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2016, 11:19:33 AM »
The biggest selling point for me with VR is immersion and presence. If done right you are IN the plane.

If the geometry is done right scalewise - probably by getting the right FOV as Vulcan hinted - orientation in the 3d space will become very natural. Distances, relative speed, altitude you will be able to judge by your gut feeling. It's really amazing. Formation flying and landings become a breeze. For that to happen it's important that your head movement does translate 1:1 with as low as a latency you can get. That's why if you want to check your six your have to turn around in your seat. Any kind of non-linear scaling will mess with your body perception and will most likely cause nausea.

If done right your brain will even fool you and give you a sense of motion. It's pretty amazing that I can feel the forward rocking motion when coming to a halt abruptly when flying in VR. With the left wing down I would feel Gods g tugging on my left side.

Sure, the current generation of HMDs still have very limited resolution, the optics are not perfect as you will get a lot of reflective artefacts (called god rays) and for AAA graphics you need a monster of a PC. But it IS the future of simming. If you think Track IR was a revolution there is hardly a term to name what VR does immersionvise to simming.

I cannot go back to 2d flying. The future is bright!

Owning a HTC Vive I, of course, root for Vive support in AH3. The Rift had a head start but since the release of the consumer versions HTC is catching up fast!

Kirin out
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2016, 12:56:47 PM »
What would make more sense is to throw in the body representation for pilots, nav, bombardiers, and gunners. So that when I put on my VR goggles, I can see my hands, body, legs and  feet. If I'm in a bomber as a pilot, I see me too, or other positions...
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2016, 01:44:06 PM »
... But it IS the future of simming.

I believe this is true. Consider:

VR headset sales forecasts for 2016 (alone) vary significantly but that said, they will be significant.

One projection forecasts 2016 sales of the Rift and the Vive at a combined volume of 4.7 MILLION UNITS [1].  Business Daily projects a more conservative forecast of 1.7 MILLION UNITS of PC-tethered AND console headsets combined [2].

Let’s take a WAG and assume both of those projections are overestimates and only 1 million units are sold in 2016.  Say that half of that number are console-based headsets, leaving 500,000 PC-tethered headsets as the 2016 sales figure of consequence to a game like Aces High. (I personally believe that number has already been significantly exceeded).  Assume further that 20% of the 500,000 will be for purchased solely for business, government & education uses, leaving 400,000 as consumer purchased headsets and that only 5% of those 400,000 buyers will be game players interested in playing air combat games (likely a very low figure).  That leaves a prospective market (again, generated from 2016 sales) of 20,000 game enthusiasts to which a game like Aces High could be marketed on the basis of VR support. (Again, the preceding was just a guess)

Now since that was just a WAG, I could be very far off in either direction--low or high--but according to The Verge, HTC /Samsung sold 15,000 units of the Vive within 10 minutes of having gone on sale [3] (and that figure doesn’t even consider how many Rifts were sold during the same time frame).  So that even if these are just early adopter sales that taper off over time, that sales volume indicates that PC-based VR headset sales will probably exceed the WAG figure.

Like it or not and ready or not, it’s something to prepare for because VR could spell a rebirth for the flight sim genre.  And btw, not to put too fine a point on it, but I don’t think that this possible boom has been lost on the developers of DCS, WT or good ol' AH either. 

Sources:

[1] http://www.statista.com/statistics/458037/virtual-reality-headsets-unit-sales-worldwide/

[2] http://www.investors.com/news/technology/click/virtual-reality-headset-sales-seen-reaching-895-million-this-year/

[3] http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/1/11143628/htc-vive-15000-sold-in-first-10-minutes

FWIW,

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2016, 05:03:06 PM »
Sup Kirin!

I love flying the 109K4 in AH3, the ability to pull snapshots for targets under the nose with the 30mm is a hoot.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2016, 05:56:49 PM »
I'm staying up late the next couple nights with the rumors that Rifts are going up on sale at Amazon and Best Buy.  I'm hoping I can pick one off, if anyone sees a retail unit for sale anywhere the next few days during this time, PM me.  Fingers crossed. 

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2016, 01:34:37 AM »
Hey Vulcan! I am really envious! Hope I can join you soon! There are some ways to play Rift games on the Vive but I haven't looked into it too much yet.

Gman. Reddit says that there might be only a handful of Rifts in selected stores - so without camping outside the right one it might be a tough task! Good hunting, Sir!
Real men fly Radial!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2016, 10:30:55 AM »
A Vive walked into my office 10 mins ago.

HiTech

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2016, 11:17:06 AM »
Call an exterminator!    :devil

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2016, 12:19:42 PM »

HiTech

Congrats, HT!

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2016, 02:32:29 PM »

HiTech
:x

Pics or it DIDN'T happen. :p

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »

HiTech

Cool, we now get to walk around our planes/vehicles in the hangar.  I am sure HiTech already has this coded and was just waiting! <g.d.r>

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2016, 02:37:59 PM »
Cool, we now get to walk around our planes/vehicles in the hangar.  I am sure HiTech already has this coded and was just waiting! <g.d.r>
You mean pre-flight inspections?  Can we maybe even look at other features of this?  :)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2016, 05:09:16 AM »
VR is DOA IMO, but have fun playing.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2016, 11:57:24 AM »

HiTech

Would be interesting to hear which of the CV1 or Vive you like better. I am currently leaning towards the CV1 for sims as the screen seems clearer. Do you plan on allowing both hmd to be connected and let the user select which one to use?

Looking forward to trying in AH3.

Terry

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2016, 12:59:49 PM »
Would be interesting to hear which of the CV1 or Vive you like better. I am currently leaning towards the CV1 for sims as the screen seems clearer. Do you plan on allowing both hmd to be connected and let the user select which one to use?

Looking forward to trying in AH3.

Terry

I doubt I'll do selection, but simply turning 1 off would cause the change.

No configuration is required if the device is on, AH uses it.

Also I am very pleased with how well the latest oculus drivers display. The upgrade to the latest drivers took less then a day. The rewrite of  the UI to a hemispherical display took all week.

HiTech