Author Topic: Oculus Rift use...  (Read 22275 times)

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
Re: Oculus Rift use...
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2016, 04:00:05 PM »
A Vive walked into my office 10 mins ago.

HiTech

Exciting news! Especially since the new OR update did break Revive. Looking forward to explore AH in VR!
Real men fly Radial!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2016, 04:28:27 PM »
A sample of the VR interface.

HiTech

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2016, 04:32:20 PM »
Do you have any pref or advice for prospective VR buyers HT with regards to Aces High?  IE which is better in your opinion, the Vive or the OR CV1?  I'm buying one or the other, but holding off until the word is in on which is better for this game and flight sims in general.  Don't care about running around the room shooting zombies from a small square of carpet, mostly about how it works sitting down with HOTAS in hand.

Very cool so far.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »
Do you have any pref or advice for prospective VR buyers HT with regards to Aces High?  IE which is better in your opinion, the Vive or the OR CV1?  I'm buying one or the other, but holding off until the word is in on which is better for this game and flight sims in general.  Don't care about running around the room shooting zombies from a small square of carpet, mostly about how it works sitting down with HOTAS in hand.

Very cool so far.

Havn't used the Vive yet and I only have a DK2 oculus. The vive  appears to come with some cool controllers.

HiTech

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2016, 04:58:43 PM »
A sample of the VR interface.

HiTech

Kudos!   The AH trainer corps might soon need to flesh out their ranks a bit to meet an uptick in demand from AH newbies coming in from the VR world. 

"If you build it, they will come."   :aok

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
Havn't used the Vive yet and I only have a DK2 oculus. The vive  appears to come with some cool controllers.

HiTech

The Vive controllers are pretty cool, takes a few minutes to get used to them though.  Make sure you have plenty of room for the Vive, it doesn't work so well in a small area.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2016, 06:13:40 PM »
Did you solve the gunsight bitmap presentation by presenting it as part of the HUD ladder or, is it out there on it's own but being presented like the HUD ladder?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2016, 06:42:14 PM »
VR interface is looking sweet!

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2016, 07:05:53 PM »
HiTech,

I too am very excited about the VR experience.  Forgive if I stomp ahead a lil bit; but how feasible would it be to include clickable areas (like we have in menus) to control certain keyboard strokes?  My feeling is that flipping the VR up or off, in order to find the keyboard to "type" ruins the mood. (breaking the 4th wall).

For example:  We already have "End Flight", how about Engine start/stop, Clipboard Map zoom, Tail hook, and Dive Flaps.  It would be even more intuitive if we had certain spaces on the cockpit itself that were clickable or programmable.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2016, 07:11:55 PM »
I doubt I'll do selection, but simply turning 1 off would cause the change.

No configuration is required if the device is on, AH uses it.

Also I am very pleased with how well the latest oculus drivers display. The upgrade to the latest drivers took less then a day. The rewrite of  the UI to a hemispherical display took all week.

HiTech

Not sure you can turn them off? The cv1 appears to stay in standby all the time?

Terry

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2016, 11:02:34 PM »
HiTech,

I too am very excited about the VR experience.  Forgive if I stomp ahead a lil bit; but how feasible would it be to include clickable areas (like we have in menus) to control certain keyboard strokes?  My feeling is that flipping the VR up or off, in order to find the keyboard to "type" ruins the mood. (breaking the 4th wall).

For example:  We already have "End Flight", how about Engine start/stop, Clipboard Map zoom, Tail hook, and Dive Flaps.  It would be even more intuitive if we had certain spaces on the cockpit itself that were clickable or programmable.

like a falcon: bms with fully interact-able 3d cockpits?

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2016, 03:10:06 AM »
like a falcon: bms with fully interact-able 3d cockpits?

Nah.....  just a couple of items that you need to access. Like a toggle switch to go through the fuel tanks and change from bombsight to cockpit views, like that.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2016, 05:06:08 PM »
Nah.....  just a couple of items that you need to access. Like a toggle switch to go through the fuel tanks and change from bombsight to cockpit views, like that.

That is nice, but in reality HOTAS is better. Looking around to find toggles in the cockpit takes time = dead in combat. Don't forget when you go to VR you release a whole bunch of functions on your stick (the view hat can be used for switching tanks etc).

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2016, 12:58:38 AM »
I have plenty of buttons, but you will never have enough to do everything... unless I switch modes...

I haven't been able to get the mode switch program down though.  Shutting my engine down or changing fuel tank with mouse click, even dive flaps, are not heat of the battle decisions... usually.

It just seems that HiTech is taking a lot of things like this into consideration when he is creating the movable virtual objects.  These are things you would need to do differently when your input devices and keyboard are not in sight. 

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2016, 04:41:42 PM »
It would be cool to pull the eject handle or grab chute ring............. just saying ...ain't askin' for all that stuff though  ;)