Author Topic: Get higher frame rates  (Read 6349 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Get higher frame rates
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2016, 09:23:25 AM »
What are Tessellation Mode and Maximum Tessellation Levels? They have 3 settings to pick from they are AMD optimized, use application settings and override application settings

I would switch it to "use application settings"

BTW, I dropped a 12? Yr old ASUS EAH HD3870 512MB GDDR4 video card in one of my computers and after selecting default settings, it gets 37 to 49 fps with vsync on, ....

It seems to be very playable.....probably not in big furballing dogfights....

Interesting post, Pudgie, about vista and later os' using swapfile and system ram and system HD.....am thinking at this point in the case of above mentioned VC, the SSD might be more beneficial to have os installation on it....edit also meant to add AH game installed

Still messing and testing... also been testing EVGA Nvidia gtx550ti 1GB VC, it's performing pretty good as well....( both vc's are using AMD mb, 4.2ghz CPU, 16 GB system ram, SSD win 7 ult. 64 bit)

Using 24" monitor at 1920X1080 res @ 60Hz

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:34:07 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2016, 12:18:02 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked, then on the SSD with the operating system Win 7, 8gb ram where should the virtual memory be?  On the SSD or a mechanical drive (where I have AH installed)

edit

I had read that virtual memory is not good for the SSD so I had moved it to the mechanical, but it seems to have been better on the SSD
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:20:10 PM by Hungry »
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2016, 02:25:18 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked, then on the SSD with the operating system Win 7, 8gb ram where should the virtual memory be?  On the SSD or a mechanical drive (where I have AH installed)

edit

I had read that virtual memory is not good for the SSD so I had moved it to the mechanical, but it seems to have been better on the SSD

It is faster on the SSD but the continuous rewritings will kill the SSD sooner than the mechanical one.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2016, 02:37:33 PM »
I went into the Beta a few minutes ago and tired
the abs mission...solid 60 fps
I then went into craterMA.... 16-17 fps
Both instances I was on the ground
Net status was at 0 with only minor ticks up on both
Hope this helps...
Ramesis/Osiris
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline tboy1972

• Zinc Member
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
Tboy, I took a quick look at your DxDiag report. Pretty good rig you've got there, no bottlenecks that I could find.

As has been said here several times already, the Environment Map slider is a killer. Set it to 1 (default) or 0.

What caught my eye is that your Page File is quite big. What do you have running in the background?

Thanks for taking a look.  I think my biggest problem was the mistake of not having the settings in my video card set to application controlled.  I forgot about that and had my video card settings set pretty high, then had Aces high settings set pretty high.  After I changed the video card settings I have been getting good frame rates.  I have the reflections disabled in AH3, but the rest of the settings pretty high, and I am getting 40 to 60 fps consistently.  The graphics in AH3 just blow me away.  They look incredible.

I am full on addicted to the beta.  I just wish there were more people playing it.  :airplane:

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2016, 12:15:41 AM »
Interesting post, Pudgie, about vista and later os' using swapfile and system ram and system HD.....am thinking at this point in the case of above mentioned VC, the SSD might be more beneficial to have os installation on it....edit also meant to add AH game installed

Hi TC,

This is precisely 1 of the reasons why I am currently using SSD's in my box in the fashion that I use them.

I use a separate SATA III 256Gb SSD instead of my main Plextor PCI-E SSD or my 1 storage SATA III 256Gb SSD as a "sacrificial" SSD for page file duty only so I will have isolated as much of the potential SSD rewriting issues to this drive so that I can enjoy the increased speed of the write page outs. I use the Plextor SSD caching software now after I finally understood just what this does for my PCI-E SSD to minimize the writes to this SSD to mostly at computer shutdown when the SSD cache (or ram disk if you prefer) created in my system mem writes all cached data back to this SSD before computer shutdown (I run the OS and all apps from this "SSD" which in actuality is running from the SSD cache created in system memory upon boot up, thus effectively reducing the potential writes to this SSD by a large margin). The storage SSD only gets written to when I down load something or save something that I want.

I also must add that this box of mine was setup & built to do only 1 thing......to play the games that I play w\ the main focus on playing AH, listen to music and surf so I ain't worried about it at all. Any important stuff is done on my wife's box on the spinner HDD's to date...and I have been thinking about setting up a NAS lately as well due to reading the posts concerning this on this BBS to use w\ her box.

:salute

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2016, 02:25:48 PM »

Here are a couple of MSI Afterburner graphs of how the Beta is running on my box in sig below. 1 is of Beta Patch 10 w\ Fury X using Crimson 15.12 WHQL drivers w\ FreeSynch and FRTC enabled and the 2nd is of the current Beta Patch 15 w\ Fury X using Crimson 16.3.2 Hotfix drivers w\ FreeSynch and FRTC enabled.

I have to say this Beta runs very sweet on this platform to date which, outside of the vid card and the PCI-E SSD, is a 4 yr old computer box running at stock speeds.

FWIW, AMD's FreeSynch working in tandem w\ AMD's FRTC is very worth the price of admission as the gameplay\graphics are butter smooth regardless of the usage patterns shown on these graphs. Note that in the Beta 15 graph the Crimson 16.3.2 drivers appear to override the AMD FRTC control & push the FPS on towards the max FreeSynch VRR set of 90 FPS (90 Hz) as set for my Asus MG279Q monitor when the GPU performance dictates so....

Just sharing data on the BBS.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2016, 03:23:47 PM »
Pudgie,

If everyone had your ring or an equivalent, 99% of the people in here with problems wouldn't be in here.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.