Author Topic: 51 Pilots and 190 Pilots  (Read 3681 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: 51 Pilots and 190 Pilots
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2016, 12:15:19 PM »
If I only flew temps in the MA. It wouldn't be fun for anyone. It would even be boring for me. You know how I know that?. Tour January 2015 I spent the whole your flying a temp. I went like 227-7. I had to run away on multiple occasions, I couldn't turn fight like I wanted to, it was boring game play to always have the advantage. People couldn't catch me. I didn't need any defensive skills. All I had to do was make sure other planes didn't pick me. It was ridiculously easy. I know from experience that flying the fastest planes in the game give you the ultimate advantage.

On the December 2015 tour, I pretty much only flew the P40N for a whole tour. I went 105-37. I actually figured I'd do better than that, but staying alive was so much harder. I couldn't simply run from 4 people chasing me. I had to fight out most of my fights and hopefully make it out alive. It was actually very challenging. The plane was so slow. It takes a lot more time to get the alt you need to be successful. Even when you have alt and dive on an enemy, you have to really make sure no one hops on your 6, and you really have to make sure you keep your E. It was incredibly much more difficult.

Same pilot, same skill, same arenas- the only difference was how much harder it was to stay alive in the P40 and how much more time it took to get kills, climb out, and conserve E.

Sure everyone once in a while you can land some kills and get help from higher friendlies who can save you. But if you fly it for a whole tour and fly the Temp for the whole tour, you will really understand how much easier it is to be successful in the Temp. The 190D is practically the same way.

In the real war. I'd have wanted to fly the F4U4 if it was similar to how it performs in AH. In AH, its fun to fly sometimes, but if it was my plane if choice, it would be too easy. If you fly a F4U4 to its full advantage you should never die, while if you flew a p40 to its full advantage, it would still have a very very difficult time in the late war MA with planes that utilize better advantages.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 12:18:01 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2016, 02:18:48 PM »
You don't care nearly as much in the MA Junky.  Ive flown with you.  A lot.  You try harder in the DA because its personal.  If you managed your SA in the MA as well as you do in the DA you would fair differently and you know it.
I wouldn't say it's personal because I go in there with friends all the time just to have fun....think I like being good at the fight though....kind of like the groomsmen who sucks at helping the wedding get going smoothly...but hits the dance floor and sets the roof on fire  :aok
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2016, 02:20:41 PM »
You don't care nearly as much in the MA Junky.  Ive flown with you.  A lot.  You try harder in the DA because its personal.  If you managed your SA in the MA as well as you do in the DA you would fair differently and you know it.
Oh and your absolutely right, I don't put hardly any focus into the MA until I'm locked in a prolonged fight...at which point I know I'm fighting one of the people I go to the DA with or fight in KOTH.  :aok
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:49:00 PM by JunkyII »
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2016, 03:31:11 PM »
If I only flew temps in the MA. It wouldn't be fun for anyone. It would even be boring for me. You know how I know that?. Tour January 2015 I spent the whole your flying a temp. I went like 227-7. I had to run away on multiple occasions, I couldn't turn fight like I wanted to, it was boring game play to always have the advantage. People couldn't catch me. I didn't need any defensive skills. All I had to do was make sure other planes didn't pick me. It was ridiculously easy. I know from experience that flying the fastest planes in the game give you the ultimate advantage.

On the December 2015 tour, I pretty much only flew the P40N for a whole tour. I went 105-37. I actually figured I'd do better than that, but staying alive was so much harder. I couldn't simply run from 4 people chasing me. I had to fight out most of my fights and hopefully make it out alive. It was actually very challenging. The plane was so slow. It takes a lot more time to get the alt you need to be successful. Even when you have alt and dive on an enemy, you have to really make sure no one hops on your 6, and you really have to make sure you keep your E. It was incredibly much more difficult.

Same pilot, same skill, same arenas- the only difference was how much harder it was to stay alive in the P40 and how much more time it took to get kills, climb out, and conserve E.

Sure everyone once in a while you can land some kills and get help from higher friendlies who can save you. But if you fly it for a whole tour and fly the Temp for the whole tour, you will really understand how much easier it is to be successful in the Temp. The 190D is practically the same way.

In the real war. I'd have wanted to fly the F4U4 if it was similar to how it performs in AH. In AH, its fun to fly sometimes, but if it was my plane if choice, it would be too easy. If you fly a F4U4 to its full advantage you should never die, while if you flew a p40 to its full advantage, it would still have a very very difficult time in the late war MA with planes that utilize better advantages.

The only exclusively P-40 tour for me was Tour 171: 205/55 in the P-40E.  Since the remodel, I think the E is now the hardest to survive in. 
No WEP really puts it at a disadvantage.  The C model has weak guns, but dances much better and out climbs the E. 
The N feels stronger than the E from the good old days.  With the four gun package, it can really move.  Well, for a P-40 at least.   :)
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2016, 08:32:32 PM »
The N feels stronger than the E from the good old days.  With the four gun package, it can really move.  Well, for a P-40 at least.   

The N with 4-gun, low-ammo-loadout is pretty close to our old E.  Still a hoot to fly.

- oldman

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2016, 01:38:08 PM »
Fighting your ride in less than ideal circumstances is far and away the best way to hone both your toon stick and rudder skills and find those outer limits of the particular plane you're in.  Yeah, staying alive and landing is cool too, but scenarios/FSO was always a good outlet for me play pretending it's the real deal.  IMO, the MA is at it's best when people get a little greedy or aren't following the USAF book on when to engage or not.  If everyone only engages other planes at last resort, the game becomes FSX with guns.  FSX with guns is not very fun, IMO.     
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2016, 01:00:18 AM »
For many the objective is to fight. Check out this film called 51lulz. He doesn't use a bunch of alt, nor does he "extend" but while flying close to an enemy base he bags a bunch of kills. This is how you CAN fly a pony

http://speedy.sh/tQRa3/51lulz.ahf
Dumb question Fugi......  How do you download that film? I can't figure it out.  :o
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2016, 08:44:59 AM »
Click on the link, and then click on the "slow download" button, unless you want to upgrade to the fast download for a small fee ;)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2016, 01:57:40 PM »

The only exclusively P-40 tour for me was Tour 171: 205/55 in the P-40E.  Since the remodel, I think the E is now the hardest to survive in. 
No WEP really puts it at a disadvantage.  The C model has weak guns, but dances much better and out climbs the E. 
The N feels stronger than the E from the good old days.  With the four gun package, it can really move.  Well, for a P-40 at least.   :)

Nice. The N model felt the best for me. I didn't really find the fights that I wanted to and thus wasnt able to get the kills I wanted but it was definitely still a challenge. Getting 15K takes about 15 minutes lol. It's a great flying plane actually and handles very well, it just needs a little more powerful engine.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2016, 04:04:32 PM »
Click on the link, and then click on the "slow download" button, unless you want to upgrade to the fast download for a small fee ;)
Thanks Fugi    :)
You should have posted this film on that thread a few weeks back about 50's being ineffective in the pony.   :confused:
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME