Author Topic: GMAN and Others Worryed about Tracers.  (Read 5837 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: GMAN and Others Worryed about Tracers.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 06:35:52 PM »
bustr, has the method for changing sights changed? Not happy with the happy face on the P-51 sight and want my dot-of-death back.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 07:09:02 PM »
Kind of sounds like a runaround to make something look right... that should just look right...

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 07:52:48 PM »
Bah! There's probably nothing different about the resolutions. I went online to test this just as the host was reset, but I found what I think is the issue. The offline server settings are different. I think it is harder to see the tracers offline to be sure. You can see what I mean in the attached screenshots (side-by-side comparison). Both images are of the same field. I prefer the DSR image on the right.

Is there a way to copy the server settings so you can match them offline?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 10:29:32 AM »
bustr, has the method for changing sights changed? Not happy with the happy face on the P-51 sight and want my dot-of-death back.

Nevermind, got it already.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 12:42:18 PM »

The smiley face is historically correct as the fixed 100Mil reticle for the K14A. That is as far out in left field in another galaxy as my responsibility for the gunsight app itself extends. I suspect you tried your old dot and it showed fine for you. The historic pack does have an orange dot for the Tempest and a cross only for the K14. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 12:44:26 PM »
Bah! There's probably nothing different about the resolutions. I went online to test this just as the host was reset, but I found what I think is the issue. The offline server settings are different. I think it is harder to see the tracers offline to be sure. You can see what I mean in the attached screenshots (side-by-side comparison). Both images are of the same field. I prefer the DSR image on the right.

Is there a way to copy the server settings so you can match them offline?

Looks like a smoggy day and a clear day over the L.A. basin.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 12:58:29 PM »
Everyone,

Try the Tempest offline with the orange dot reticle. You will see your tracers because the windscreen is rendered optically clear like the reflector plate glass should be. That reflection from the effects mask file (GSITEFX1.bmp) of the projector barrel and lens should not be as pronounced. As you increase your FoV and shrink your reflector plate, it gets darker. If you are shooting into the direction of the sun as it illuminates your drone, the tracers will wash out or disappear until your angle to the sun while firing is more off to either side.

Some of the disappearing fighter tracers can be cleared up by making the gunsight reflector plate much more clear.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 01:24:19 PM »
Yeah, I don't have a problem with the airplanes. In fact, I don't use tracers there.

Tanks I should be able to see the tracer all the way to impact, even if that impact is 30,000 feet away (10k). I can see it that far at 1080p, but if I squeeze 4k onto 1080p by using DSR, then the tracer disappears (really it is there, but impossible to see). On a 4k screen at 4k it is possible to see, though it is very tiny. If I use DSR and push 8k onto a 4k screen, then it's back to being impossible to see. Is it realistic to see a 75mm tracer at 6 miles? I think so. .50 cal? No, I think the game is accurate that far.

Can you state this in layman's terms for the technically less astute like me. Last night I was in AH 3 at a base being shelled by two tanks and couldn't see any shell tracks at all. The directionality (new word?) of the sound seems off also. I've posted that before. A tank at my 12 o'clock sounds like it's at my 9 or 10 O'clock. Between the sound issue and the invisible shell tracks it's extremely hard to tell where the enemy tanks are. I'd like to know what settings, if any, will help.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2016, 01:34:43 PM »
Have you tried disabling post lighting effects to see if that gives you back the tank round tracers?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2016, 02:41:58 PM »
Can you state this in layman's terms for the technically less astute like me. Last night I was in AH 3 at a base being shelled by two tanks and couldn't see any shell tracks at all. The directionality (new word?) of the sound seems off also. I've posted that before. A tank at my 12 o'clock sounds like it's at my 9 or 10 O'clock. Between the sound issue and the invisible shell tracks it's extremely hard to tell where the enemy tanks are. I'd like to know what settings, if any, will help.

DSR is a method by which your video card can render the view at up to four times your native resolution. The problem is it goes by your native resolution, and it is hard (computationally intensive) for your GPU to do that. Your monitors native resolution is the stated resolution at which your monitor works best, or its intended resolution. Nvidia video cards are configured to work best at 1920x1080, so you would be best off to use a monitor that has a native resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p). The 'p' in 1080p stands for progressive scan. Progressive scan means it draws from the upper left of your monitor screen to the lower right one line at a time to completion. The alternative would be 'I,' or interlaced scan, which is more like your television (odd lines, then even, then odd, . . .).

Anyway, DSR is setup on the Global settings tab of the Nvidia Control Panel. It will allow you to use anything from 1.25 to 4.0 times your native resolution. So, if you have a native resolution of 1080p, then it will allow your game to use up to four times that resolution, or 3840x2160p (4k). This is ultra high definition (UHD). Before you try it just let me tell you about my system. I have an X99 with 32GB RAM and two GTX 980s in SLI. I can run 4k straight up at 60fps without a sweat. I cannot run four times that (I can, but it drops to 13fps and lower). However, I can set my monitor to 1080p (not a good thing really to run a 4k monitor at HD resolution) and then set DSR to 4k (this is done by changing the resolution of AH3 to 3840x2160). I get 4k resolution that way, and I can record to an Elgato that has a maximum resolution of 1080p. The only problem is that doing it this way the tank tracers get to be hard to see, and my video cards are really working too hard and I do not get 60 fps (more like 50fps).

When Pascal is released I will be running DSR in one way or another, because you can turn off Anti-aliasing altogether and still have a really nice image already. I'm hoping Pascal will allow us to use every thing together (16k DSR, x16 SLI AA, 4096 textures, shadows, and environment).

I can show you how this is done in detail if you need to know more.

@bustr, I already have tried that. It makes terrain brighter but makes no changes to tracers that I can see.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 03:09:26 PM by Chalenge »

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2016, 02:51:45 PM »
I tried long ago shooting beside the reflector sight, in fact I often move and save my position in various planes to the right or left of the site and just use the built in gunsight that comes with the Asus ROG gaming monitors.  It has little effect on my end in brightening up or changing the tracer effects, the overall sky around that bit of area is obviously a bit brighter due to not looking through the sight, but the tracers are still very hard to see, as are the smoke trails, compared to AH2.  I don't think that just changing the darkness of the gunsight glass is going to have much overall effect IMO.

@bustr, I already have tried that. It makes terrain brighter but makes no changes to tracers that I can see.

My experience as well with every trick Bustr has labored to figure out, at least on my end.

It's directly to do with the tracer/hit sprite  graphics/animation/whatever you call it/etc themselves, not the brightness of the overall clipboard settings or the darkness of the reflector sight glass, IMO.  Again, just IMO, but I've tried with 3 different very common high end gaming LCDs in the 27/28" size class, and tried every brightness setting/trick Bustr has gone to the trouble of figuring out, in addition to every brightness/gamma/etc setting on the LCD control panel and desktop.  Based on film/shots and a lot of time spent looking at them in real time, nothing really has a major effect on making the AH3 beta tracers look more AH2-ish.  They are absolutely smaller and harder to see regardless of what steps available now are taken.  For better or worse...

Like I've said, I'm not fussed, and think it could add a new dimension to shooting, requiring the target to be closer and able to dodge incoming fire more easily in the air on the defense, but just wait until the entire arena is in 1.0, I'll bet the farm that the tracers/sprites are the #1 complaint once everyone gets the game working.  The game is about shooting stuff, for the most part, and that has been...maybe not drastically changed, but certainly has changed enough to have to work at it much harder now.

I don't GV, but I take Chalenges word for it regarding similar issues with the tank gun rounds. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 02:59:35 PM by Gman »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2016, 03:06:22 PM »
The smiley face is historically correct as the fixed 100Mil reticle for the K14A. That is as far out in left field in another galaxy as my responsibility for the gunsight app itself extends. I suspect you tried your old dot and it showed fine for you. The historic pack does have an orange dot for the Tempest and a cross only for the K14.

I just took the K14 star pattern sight, saved it as p51-dod and deleted the outer markers. Then I modified the palette to change the blue color for a brighter green. Depending on my experiences I may modify it later, but it works as is.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2016, 03:17:27 PM »
@Condor, I went looking for your DXDiag and could not find it. What sound card are you using?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2016, 03:22:08 PM »
I'm working on some brite versions of the historic pack that will use the post lighting when the alpha slider is set to full. Try these two, K14 cross, Tempest dot.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2016, 06:40:08 PM »
@Condor, I went looking for your DXDiag and could not find it. What sound card are you using?

My DxDiag is attached.  As far as graphics and monitor goes you will see I have a Radeon HD9650 which struggles a little in AH3. No hope for using default settings. My monitor is an ASUS PA248Q with a native resolution of 1920X1200. I also have an ASUS V247H-P with a native resolution of 1920x1080 that I don't use with my gaming computer but easily could if it would be a better choice. My video settings in AH3 are 1920x1200 with a max texture size of 4096 and FOV of 100. My video card settings are application specified with the exception of tesselation which set at AMD optimized (I think Pudgie recommended that in another thread. May have been Skuzzy.)

My sound card is a Creative SB X-Fi that I pulled out of the XP machine I built 7 or 8 years ago. I don't recall if I updated drivers when I installed it. I will revisit that. I have asked a couple of others that I encountered in AH3 who said they noticed the same issue with the directionality of the sounds.

I appreciate all the help you have given. I'm a microbiologist, not a computer tech guy. I thought I knew something about this but I'm way out of my depth. If you have any microbiology questions fire away.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL