Author Topic: Mid & Early war arenas have vanished  (Read 8197 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Mid & Early war arenas have vanished
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2016, 05:26:46 PM »
My motherboard and CPU are 5 years old. Up until recently I used 5 year old video card (only upgraded to try and get better performance in some other games). So you have to be running some really crappy old stuff to be left behind (my rig runs AH3 just fine WITH the Rift DK2).

To upgrade an old PC (ie replacing mainboard, CPU, RAM) would cost me around $500-$600 max NZDollars. Thats about us$400. And then parts in the US are way cheaper than here, so something like an i3 + 8Gb RAM + GTX 950 is probably in the region of us$340 (according to pc parts builder). If you need a case, PSU, and SSD maybe add another $150-$200.

So an upgrade build $350-$450, a full build $500-$600.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2016, 05:45:53 PM »
not everybody has a money tree in their back yard-you'all act like it's the easiest thing just to go out and buy a new computer or upgrade old ones..if it weren't for 2 friends I would not be able to play AH3-still right this minute I can play it-but there are only 10-12 people max in AH3-will have to wait until we get 60 to 140 people for sure to see if I can still play it.
 :furious

hmmmm lets see, $15 a month for the game, $50 a month for internet. This is ok, but you cant put $5 aside a week to upgrade/replace your computer every few years?

Same goes for everything else you have, TV blows do you do with out? I doubt it. Washers dies, you wear dirty cloths now? This is my "hobby". I put money aside for it every month just like anything else.

If you cant afford it, I get it, but don't come crying here that you cant. If there is a will, there is a way. The world cant stop just because not everyone can jump on the ride.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2016, 06:00:14 PM »
That's easy to say if you can afford the upgrade. I know a number who cannot. There is no question that AH2 is far behind other games with respect to graphics but how much does that really matter to many players? The current graphics in AH2 are a lot better than they were 10 years ago when I started but I don' think it's made a bit of difference in how much I enjoy the game. It's the addition of new planes and GVs that has made the biggest difference but even without those it would still be fun.

It will be interesting to see if the improved eye candy will draw enough players to offset he loss of those who will drop out because they cannot afford the hardware upgrade required. I have my doubts but hope I'm wrong because I have loved playing this game for the last 10 yrs.
and yes, it's all I play. First person shooters, for example, bore me to death.

There is much more than eye candy in AHIII.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2016, 06:02:34 PM »
lawnmowers don't cost anywhere near the price of a new puter or an upgrade--and if your mower quits you can hire somebody to cut your grass cheaper than a new mower

Maybe your lawn is small enough that it doesn't lol.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2016, 06:06:35 PM »

I alluded to actual posts I had read and the fact that I have not yet seen released a list of minimum
hardware requirements to play AH3 with usable frame rates.
Hardly gossip or misinformation.  Since you have no idea my current config you wouldn't know
that I cant use the 960/970 cards because of power supply constraints, but thanks for the link.
If my questions for minimum requirements scare people then i'm at a loss  :cheers:

Power supply is replaceable and more than likely part of your problem now.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2016, 07:00:12 PM »
To be honest, i hope more for the other changes in long term than just better graphics, FM's damage models etc, I see AH3 just a new platform for those changes.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2016, 08:24:31 AM »

I alluded to actual posts I had read and the fact that I have not yet seen released a list of minimum
hardware requirements to play AH3 with usable frame rates.
Hardly gossip or misinformation.  Since you have no idea my current config you wouldn't know
that I cant use the 960/970 cards because of power supply constraints, but thanks for the link.
If my questions for minimum requirements scare people then i'm at a loss  :cheers:

I also have "power supply constraints"  (stoopid HP computer with proprietary MB connections).  I have this ordered:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-6163-KR

400W PSU, performance slightly better than the GTX970, $260US.  Will report back later in the week.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2016, 08:42:49 AM »
not everybody has a money tree in their back yard-you'all act like it's the easiest thing just to go out and buy a new computer or upgrade old ones..if it weren't for 2 friends I would not be able to play AH3-still right this minute I can play it-but there are only 10-12 people max in AH3-will have to wait until we get 60 to 140 people for sure to see if I can still play it.
 :furious

BS.   You've known for the better part of three years this this day was looming.   You are pissed off at HTC, instead of yourself for sitting on your duff?   Sorry, be "furious" at yourself.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2016, 09:18:03 AM »
lawnmowers don't cost anywhere near the price of a new puter or an upgrade--and if your mower quits you can hire somebody to cut your grass cheaper than a new mower
You can also hire somebody to play AH3 for you, using their own computers. That somebody might even send you AH films for a nominal fee so you can see what you've paid for.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2016, 09:19:17 AM »
Were we suppose to stop at Atari or the Commodore 64? I guess Pong should have been good enough for the rest of our lives. Change marches on.
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2016, 09:56:55 AM »
AvA did also, we are simply preparing for AH3 going live.

HiTech

D'oh, I need to finish the maps.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2016, 10:06:41 AM »
YES! and get busy!!!
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2016, 10:54:24 AM »
Can someone do a tutorial video for everyone that shows how to get graphics down to the very minimal settings? I feel like this would help a lot of the community who is struggling with low end rigs...I would do it myself but I think it should be done by someone who knows everything about it instead of partial knowledge .
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2016, 12:12:35 PM »

Ah, so that's why they weren't included in the last few releases. Get to work ya slacker.  :D
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2016, 12:17:30 PM »
My spreadsheets are ready...  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman