Author Topic: Seeing game freezes tied to voice activation  (Read 5394 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Seeing game freezes tied to voice activation
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 03:12:00 PM »
I shut down all startup items that I could and then opened up task manager and focused upon the processes tab. With the report sorted by CPU time I recorded a lengthy GV mission with several short pauses occurring.  I could not identify a single process that might be causing the problem. The order of processes change periodically, but at the time of the pauses there was no change to the processes running. Nothing.

I suppose I could look at the performance tab for disk activity?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 09:42:47 AM »
Wondering if it is server side. 

Maybe we should look at pauses from when they reset the server till they start showing up....

Like You I have gone through my processes....

Dobs
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 10:30:39 AM »
The game is client driven, not server driven.

The only thing on server side would be linked to the Internet connection between your computer and the server.  If there is a problem there then it could cause individual plane stutters, not entire game freezes/pauses.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:32:21 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 04:14:47 PM »
I am beginning to think if something is happening in concurrence with short screen freezes the risk of a CTD is larger.  This could be anything from a button press to a kill or be killed.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 04:33:01 PM »
I scrutinized my own system for rider libraries, but the only thing I found was a Lavasoft Web Companion that came in with K-Lite Codec MegaPack. I do not get these pauses offline, but only in the arena and other than the text buffer somehow being involved I'm out of ideas.

(EDIT) I just tried a couple of sorties while scrutinizing the Performance tab of Task Manager. Still nothing. I am still getting the short pauses, but I am unable to associate it with anything running on my computer. Also, there was no real spikes in network activity either.

The last thing left is the GPU I guess.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:48:03 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 08:35:58 PM »
I am getting freezes, always while somebody is on vox.  got several today.  also vox seems to stop working while somebody is talking.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 10:10:20 PM »
If it is not related to AH, then I think it all comes back to frontier.net, which could be causing me some real problems.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2016, 06:17:33 AM »
I would suggest trying not to over analyze this.  Best thing we can do is to continue gathering dump data.  The pauses/freezes could be related to that.  The stutters could be related to a lot of things.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Beau

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2016, 08:58:40 AM »
I have no idea what is causing screen freezes but I get them all the time as do others that I question about it. Every time I get one I can open up the Net Status and there is a large spike in the top graph, can't remember what its called. It is totally random also, not tied to vox or fighting or anything else I am aware of. For me it is an internet problem originating from god knows where.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 10:35:54 PM »
I remember having a similar issue back a few years w\ AHII when I was using my old Intel C2D E8600 CPU on an EVGA 780i FTW mobo once I upgraded the vid card from an EVGA GTX 470 FTW vid card to an EVGA GTX 560Ti vid card. I started getting the very same type of screen freezes that are happening now.....my box never CTD but I would start getting the freezes after approx. 25-30 mins of gameplay. Pull the 560Ti out, reinstall the 470 FTW and all was well. Pull the 470 FTW out, reinstall the 560Ti and the freezes would return.

For a long while I was leaning towards the 560Ti card being bad but I never got any CTD's or BSOD's using it (which will really help to point to a bad vid card) so I held onto it.

When I built my X79 box that I was using until recently I fired it up w\ this same GTX 560Ti in it and I never had 1 issue w\ it doing any of this on the X79 box.....exact same card using the exact same drivers I used before but on a different platform...............

What this showed me was that it was not an issue w\ the vid card itself, but that this particular vid card needed a platform that could feed it data faster and more consistently so that it could perform properly than the platform that I used it on prior. At the time both platforms were using PCI-E 2.x spec lanes (initial X79 CPU was the I7 3820) which kinda paried this part out but the big difference was due to the Nvidia chipset\mobo layout of the 780i mobo (similar to the current AMD 9xx chipset\mobo layout) vs the Intel X79 chipset\mobo layout of the Rampage IV Gene ROG mobo (especially the CPU side of this design) as the X79 layout could feed the GTX 560Ti vid card MUCH, MUCH faster and FAR more consistent and the results clearly showed this even though I had the C2D E8600 OC'd to 4.0 GHz vs the I7 3820 running stock (stock turbo boost clocks were 3.8 GHz).

Now w\ my current box I have witnessed the same freezing but have seen it occur very rarely on my box.....on avg a 1-2 sec freeze every 2-3 hrs of gameplay usually associated w\ more numbers online and\or low alt flying (where the vid card will be taxed the most). I recently went in my box's UEFI and set the I7 5820K CPU to turbo boost to 4.0 GHz instead of the stock 3.5 GHz and this has shown to actually help my Fury X to run even better......now I might see 1 1-2 sec freeze every 2-3 hrs of gameplay. I have never experienced a CTD while playing the release vers of AHIII...only once trying to start the game. I sent in the only .dmp file that was in my AHIII temp folder and it was nowhere near the size of the files of others after zipping it to post it on the BBS so I would be curious as to what y'all saw from it, Skuzzy........

I have lately gotten kicked out due to lost Internet connections though as for some reason I'm having a hard time maintaining a UDP connect (switching to TCP connect soon after tower is up) even though I haven't touched none of the settings in my ADSL modem (Zoom X7N) since I originally set this sucker up some 3 yrs ago and had no issues maintaining a UDP connect until lately.......... My belief for this is due to my DSLAM as I have noted ping issues depending upon the amount of data traffic at certain time frames and this also could be the culprit for the freezes that I do see on my box.

The hard part to pin down is what is actually the issue that is causing this as the variables are very varied and any\all of them could be true.

I do hope that this can get sorted out for all of us. The thing though is that the "fix" may be varied across the myriad of platform setups the AHIII client is being run on.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2016, 10:53:15 PM »
"What this showed me was that it was not an issue w\ the vid card itself, but that this particular vid card needed a platform that could feed it data faster and more consistently so that it could perform properly than the platform that I used it on prior. "

Excepting that for the first part of the beta....no pauses.  Wasn't until beta went live (and like 1st or 2nd patch) that pauses started.....

GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2016, 11:26:31 PM »
I have all of the skins downloaded, but the checkbox was still checked for skins. So I unchecked that and I have not had a screen pause since. Still need to play more to be sure.

(EDIT) About two hours of playing without any stutters. Could be something else, but still seems to be fixed for me.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 01:36:40 AM by Chalenge »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2016, 01:29:35 PM »
Last night someone mentioned to me to disable bump mapping as the player claimed that resolved his stutter issues.  I tried it and didn't experience any stutters but I only took a couple of flights.  Will fly longer tonight and see if I get any stutters with bump mapping off.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2016, 02:00:44 PM »
Ack-Ack, I need a very detailed explanation of the "stutters" you are talking about.  For example, does it seem like you are getting dot crawl stutter, where each pixel shift is apparent?  Or is it more of a longer, random, pause in the entire game, happening repeatedly?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2016, 04:14:21 PM »
I was rolling a tank around a V-base today and experienced stutters.  I was filming and it shows them, do you want the film?

I've never had a CTD or anything like that, and to be honest up until now everything had been working good.