Author Topic: Attack label when rolling light  (Read 14487 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Attack label when rolling light
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 04:11:39 PM »
The real shocker will come when you realize that popup is already there, but only on missions. Or, at least it was.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 04:33:08 PM »
The opposite holds true....if I'm loaded for bear with rox and bombs and happen upon a low C-47 and I shoot it down....I don't expect to get attack points, but fighter points for an aerial kill.

And when I shoot buildings and get an aerial kill?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 04:52:43 PM »
It blows my mind that some people can't be bothered to look at a box and click a button when choosing their ride.  :rolleyes:
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 05:08:25 PM »
I guess I'll have to take a refresher look at sortie type and scores. It seems to me that the only real difference was how bullet hit percentage was calculated. If you strafe ground targets in fighter mode, your fighter hit percentage took a big dump, because fighter sorties only counted hits against other planes. Attack sorties factored in everything.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 05:47:26 PM »
I guess I'll have to take a refresher look at sortie type and scores. It seems to me that the only real difference was how bullet hit percentage was calculated. If you strafe ground targets in fighter mode, your fighter hit percentage took a big dump, because fighter sorties only counted hits against other planes. Attack sorties factored in everything.

Also, in fighter mode kills of vehicles will not count for score (but gun hits on them will still count for hit% though!).

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 08:33:46 PM »
Since this has devolved into a debate about a specific feature which is a toggle between attack and fighter IMHO it is really about how the game is designed.

If you want to ask for something more radical and imminently more usable, how about ground targets are scored in attack and air to air targets scored as fighter? As mentioned upstream, in the war they didn't divide the missions in this totally artificial method.

If you kill a GV, its kind of hard to call it air to air. If you kill a plane its hard to call it a GV.

Why on earth do you make the pilot decide IN ADVANCE what kind of flight they will have? They don't know what they will hit once in the air. Why make it that way?

I think you'd see a lot more people switching roles if the scoring was more appropriate. Right now you are locked in and you shoot yourself in the foot if you change your mind while in flight. That is just bad and counter intuitive. Help the user choices instead of blocking them.

Thanks!
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2016, 02:17:31 AM »
Since this has devolved into a debate about a specific feature which is a toggle between attack and fighter IMHO it is really about how the game is designed.

If you want to ask for something more radical and imminently more usable, how about ground targets are scored in attack and air to air targets scored as fighter? As mentioned upstream, in the war they didn't divide the missions in this totally artificial method.

Yo would have to come up with a totally different scoring system them.
Because like I asked before, what do you do when you score both aerial and ground kills? Score them on both? And what's with your sortie tally, do you count it as an attack sortie and a fighter sortie at the same time? And your sortie time, will it be added to both categories as well?
Because if not, you have a tool of greatly skewing your scores because of the k/s and k/h categories. If yes, you suddenly have twice the sorties and played hours you actually did. In both cases, it's going to be a mess.

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2016, 09:28:33 AM »
get rid of separate scoring and separate perks.

There should be a single type of perk, "spawn points" would be a good name for the new currency with which you can spawn "better'" vehicles.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »
I look at it as a "pre flight" check thing. Much like the decision on which plane, which skin, fuel load, drop tank or no.

I do think the popup window you get when you are part of a mission to score the mission as fighter or attack would be a cool thing to add for all fighter sorties, but it also isnt the big a deal to me.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 02:07:47 PM »
To everyone saying it's a pre flight check thing....Some take score seriously, whether they want to compete for the top score or if it's used as their base line for their own progress....they take it seriously.

The fighter score is easily manipulated, Heck VansCrew did an entire write up on the POTW site on how to get near rank 1 in every category....IE only up in Fighter mode if you know you are going to get kills AKA vulching.

I personally think that if you have Bombs on your aircraft....that run should be counted as Attack
If you don't have bombs on...you are automatically put as Fighter unless you specifcally change it to attack after(upping a porker from a field without ords.)
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2016, 02:24:45 PM »
A sticky note on your monitor is the easy fix.

In the serious points competition remembering to set your switches counts.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2016, 03:09:52 PM »
I tried running the P-38L for two tours with the idea I could easily develop a habit to switch scoring modes.  I probably got it right 70% of the time at best.

Much like forgetting to release a drop tank, in the heat of battle, one loses focus..

It has always made sense to be if you load ords you are in the attack mode.

My guess the players that do not see this as a problem, rarely use ords on fighters.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 04:22:04 PM »
To everyone saying it's a pre flight check thing....Some take score seriously, whether they want to compete for the top score or if it's used as their base line for their own progress....they take it seriously.

So they should have no problem incorporating the selection in their checklist!

- oldman

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2016, 04:42:23 PM »

So they should have no problem incorporating the selection in their checklist!

- oldman

there's nothing to fix other than remembering if you fly fighter mode then use fighter mode.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2016, 05:12:25 PM »
Everyone posting about checklists....my argument is that it's easy to up in attack mode without having any intention on engaging ground targets....meaning if you get killed without any kills on boars your fighter score isn't hurt. Bunch of broken records who think everything is fine an dandy... :rolleyes:
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"